Ok. So we all have heard of the top musicians; Malmsteem, Li, Satriani.. . . . etc. Anyways. These musicians all learned theory and rose to write great music. But what did they play coming up to this point. We've all played the "Usual Metal" bands. But most of these wont get us up to the point of becoming master shredders. So, I'm looking for some songs out there that will build mostly on accuracely and stamina. Something not too over the top, but focuses on a broad amount of techniques. Preferably classic, what songs could I learn that would help me build on everything.

P.S. Remember stepping stones. If I have to spend over a month trying to get the first 10 seconds of the song correct, dont suggest it. Also it would be nice if I could find tabs.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
I believe Malmsteen listens to a lot of classical violin, Paganini to be exact.
Quote by bambamm89
Ok. So we all have heard of the top musicians; Malmsteem, Li, Satriani.. . . . etc.

thats where i stopped reading. dear jesus... i don't know much about him, maybe he is a good musician. hes just the best to make fun of. if you want to "master" music, not just guitar, listen to anything like beethoven, the orchestral stuff. the way everything stacks up in his work really helps your approach to writing music/composing

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Listen to a lot of music. Play a lot of guitar. Try to tab songs by ear (start with early doom metal. Its slow, heavy, and quite easy to tab). You can always practice scales and arpeggios but that wont do much unless you apply it correctly. The chromatic scale can be used to build strength and accuracy and other scales can be used for solos. Once you feel that tabbing by ear isn't so hard, start soloing over some simple songs.
Metallica's earlier stuff is pretty good for getting your chops up.

Just remember to practice efficiently, and read Freepower's sticky.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by gonzaw
To become a god you have to play violin and hit the exact notes you want to play or someone tells you to play, like B#, FXXX, Ebbbbbbbbbb, or CXXXX#, etc and on top of that shred...

So what you're saying is that if I want to be good at guitar, I need to be good at violin and be able to play notes that do not exist. That sure makes sense.
Quote by SilentGhost
So what you're saying is that if I want to be good at guitar, I need to be good at violin and be able to play notes that do not exist. That sure makes sense.

Well, only to become a violin god, which in turn makes you a stringed god, which includes guitar....

Ey, those notes do exist
Last edited by gonzaw at Aug 30, 2008,
I was actually hoping for some song titles. I'd love to get into more classical stuff, so that would be a plus. But I'm not looking for anything finger picked. Also something that doesn't require fancy amp settings or pedals. I'm all raw

PS I've been playing for 4 years. I've pretty much heard of most metal bands/songs.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
If you want to become a guitar "god", you have to write memorable songs with great guitar parts. There are several thousand players who are faster/more technically proficient than those players you have listed, however the music they write is crap.

I think basically what you're looking for is how to play the fastest, which in itself will not make you a "god".
damage control by john petrucci

pretty easy, and uses a few techniques
MD5K
IBANEZ
I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you could try Paginini's 5th caprice. It's pretty difficult, especially to play fast. But it still sounds awesome played at moderate speeds. And it's not hard to learn the actual notes (thinking about what you said about not wanting to spend a long time just on the first 10 seconds).
This one will definately improve your playing.
Quote by ouchies
Nah Ebbbbbbbb definitely does not exist or .. does not exist in a practical world

There's really no necessary context for it. Unless you are playing in Ebbbbbbbb major, that is.
It's not so much about what you practice, it's how you practice...everything you learn makes you better in some way even if you think it's somehow beneath you. It's not a case of "levelling up" in the fastest time possible, that achieves very little, and arguably being able to play a simple piece well is a better yardstick to gauge ability than the ability to play a complicated piece.

The longer you take to fully explore and understand things the better a guitarist you'll be, both mentally and technically. Likewise the further you cast your net when looking for things to learn the more varied your influences will be and that makes you a more potentially interesting musician. Virtuoso players got that good because they'd covered the basics exhaustively and found themselves going beyond what had been done before.

You've already picked up on one of the most important thing which is setting yourself realistic short term goals instead of wanting to jump straight into learning something that's nigh-on impossible. A steady, methodical learning pattern is what gets you furthest in the guitar
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AlanHB
If you want to become a guitar "god", you have to write memorable songs with great guitar parts. There are several thousand players who are faster/more technically proficient than those players you have listed, however the music they write is crap.

I think basically what you're looking for is how to play the fastest, which in itself will not make you a "god".

Most of the players he listeds music is crap as well.
Well, first of all, someone who's going to end up a god is self motivated and will go out and find their own songs. Then they will slowly improve their technique and composition skill across about 10,000 hours of correct practice and focused self-improvement.

And that's it.
Quote by ouchies
Nah Ebbbbbbbb definitely does not exist or .. does not exist in a practical world

Well, it does exist when following the circle of fifths, which is the way B# or Fb are found making the note legit....

In 12tet it's not important, but I suppose it is in Pythagorean tuning (if you want to make a really weird or cool song)....
Quote by Avedas
There's really no necessary context for it. Unless you are playing in Ebbbbbbbb major, that is.

well i believe hes trying to say the notes inbetween notes like the note between Eb and E since guitars can't reach that note unless the guitarist bends or uses a whammy but a violinist can reach those notes.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
all you have to do is convince yourself
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
What do you want to be. Do you want to be the next Hendrix or Van Halen and just come in and change everything? That is what a god is. People can't really tell you how to do that. If you just want to write bad music and shred at a million notes a second then read freepowers sticky.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by theocao
well i believe hes trying to say the notes inbetween notes like the note between Eb and E since guitars can't reach that note unless the guitarist bends or uses a whammy but a violinist can reach those notes.

Not actually....

If you are playing guitar, and want to play Ebbbbbbbb , you would just play the fret were Ab would be, and that would be said note in equal temperament...

But it is different in violin, since it is a different note with a different pitch than Ab...
Quote by gonzaw
But it is different in violin, since it is a different note with a different pitch than Ab...
Violins are set up with equal-tempered tuning so they fit with other instruments.

Ebbbbbbb notation is stupid, BTW.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Violins are set up with equal-tempered tuning so they fit with other instruments.

Ebbbbbbb notation is stupid, BTW.

I thought they were set to meantone tuning (or just intonation can't remember)?
Maybe I got confused with another stringed instrument...

Well yeah, it is stupid in the western system...
But following pythagorean tuning it can reveal quite uncommon and cool intervals, like Super double augmented second, etc (I guess this kind of stuff is more of a past thing from Renassaince, etc, and nobody cares about it now)...
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Most of the players he listeds music is crap as well.

I don't really like those artists either, just saying that the strength of the song is more important than how fast you can play.
Quote by steven seagull
It's not so much about what you practice, it's how you practice...everything you learn makes you better in some way even if you think it's somehow beneath you. It's not a case of "levelling up" in the fastest time possible, that achieves very little, and arguably being able to play a simple piece well is a better yardstick to gauge ability than the ability to play a complicated piece.

The longer you take to fully explore and understand things the better a guitarist you'll be, both mentally and technically. Likewise the further you cast your net when looking for things to learn the more varied your influences will be and that makes you a more potentially interesting musician. Virtuoso players got that good because they'd covered the basics exhaustively and found themselves going beyond what had been done before.

You've already picked up on one of the most important thing which is setting yourself realistic short term goals instead of wanting to jump straight into learning something that's nigh-on impossible. A steady, methodical learning pattern is what gets you furthest in the guitar

+1

,and take your time, and don't just listen to shred, try some blues rock country slide classical jazz, everything you can find, try it out. don't worry what others think of the genre or band, you're a human not a sheep.

you've probly only been playing a couple years, so im assuming you're young. think of all the time you have to get better.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)