Page 1 of 2
so my bassist decided to book a show for my band in 2 weeks.

we've only had one actual band practice before this, so we pretty much have to learn a setlist in 2 weeks.

to make matters worse, 2 of our guitarists never show up for practice and we have no vocalist, so i have to sing and play 3 guitar parts at the same time.

my question is, should i play the show despite the fact that we're probably going to be terrible, or should i just cancel on the place we're booked?
Just play covers of a bunch of AC/DC or Ramones songs.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Been there done that dude, good luck. As long as you have a decent drummer, decent guitar skills, and a will to play live, you can do it
Take this to the right thread, and then practice?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by FireandFlames
1 man acoustic show

do it

i'll do an acoustic tribute to slayer.

what could possibly go wrong??
yeah dude u have no idea
my band ahem triangle squares
we never had practise until the day of our first show, a battle of the bands
we had 3 songs which we practised an hour before we left for the gig and we just stretched them out to be 20 min
none of us had ever been on stage before but we placed 3rd out of 5 bands
so do what i did and just try to make the audience confortable and tell a bunch of jokes
Quote by Telestar
What type of stuff are you playing?

thrashy/death metal stuff

band link is in the sig
Oh **** it seems you're out of luck
Being you in two weeks is really gonna suck
But I suggest you do the one man acoustic show
Hopefully you're good then it shall not blow
But if you have not any decent guitar skills
You might as well go into the cupboard and empty it of all it's pills
The last thing we need is another Clapton wanna be
Specially if you suck that'd ruin everything I hope you see
So maybe talk to your friends and work it all out
And if you can't play give the owner of the establishment a shout
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
YOU NEVER LEAVE THE BAND IN THE BASSISTS HANDS!(unless its iron maiden we're talking about,AND WE ARE NOT)
Quote by floppypick
Oh **** it seems you're out of luck
Being you in two weeks is really gonna suck
But I suggest you do the one man acoustic show
Hopefully you're good then it shall not blow
But if you have not any decent guitar skills
You might as well go into the cupboard and empty it of all it's pills
The last thing we need is another Clapton wanna be
Specially if you suck that'd ruin everything I hope you see
So maybe talk to your friends and work it all out
And if you can't play give the owner of the establishment a shout

wow that is a terrible comment
Quote by NightEmbers
Hey man me and a drummer pulled off some sick tool covers & mars volta covers just us two with only 2 hours of practice earlier that day, you can do it

Me and my friend who's a drummer played Master of Puppets and YYZ flawlessly without ever playing together before.

YEW CAN DEW IT!
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by spinalshred
thrashy/death metal stuff

band link is in the sig

Well you don't really need to practice thrash. Just tremelo pick, abuse the whammy bar, and play Open, 1, 4 progressions on the bottom string
Quote by Lrn2play
wow that is a terrible comment

I told him what I thought in a slightly more entertaining way.

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Telestar
Well you don't really need to practice thrash. Just tremelo pick, abuse the whammy bar, and play Open, 1, 4 progressions on the bottom string

dude or even screw that
just pound a double bass pedal and open C string (im assuming thats your tuning for a thrash metal band but u get the idea). and when they boo you just turn it up louder.
Cut the crap with the goofball **** guys. That stuff belongs in the pit

What you need to do is cancel this gig. If you're not ready, you're not ready. If the songs aren't tight, than you're not ready. If you believe however, you can make them sound tight, and you ARE ready than do it.

It's all an attitude thing.
Cancel the gig if you're not ready. This isn't rocket science man.
dont listen to them
playing my first gig was the best thing so far in my life
i was nervous as hell,
realllllly young
thought for sure we were gunna fail but the truth is no ones really a dick enough to boo a band unless your not trying at all
if u go up and just show your trying, they will atleast appreciate it unless they paid big bucks to see it but if it was under $8 ur fine
seriously though
even my friend who sucks balls at guitar and singing has done like over 10 gigs in small pubs and **** and he loves it and has never been boo'd
so really just enjoy yourself, if its as small of a gig as mine, try to introduce yourself to some of the audience and staff at the place (especially the soundguy, if you get him to just shake your hand ill bet he will pay more attention to helping you out) and stay for the rest of the show as a nice gesture, one of the bands didnt at my show and had people booing them because they left early. SO BASICALLY DONT BE A DICK, be a do.
Quote by Faux
Play songs that will only require you, your drummer, and bassist, or write stuff like that, and tell the other guitarists they are out unless they get involved

This one. If they can't be bothered to show up for practice, they're out. Practice assuming you aren't gonna be able to rely on them. Then your situation can hopefully only improve.

If all else fails, you may just have to cancel. I think you can make it work. Good luck.
I don't understand why so many newer bands just book gigs when they don't have all the members or just aren't ready
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bitch slap your bassist if he booked without your permission. You shouldn't play gigs until everyone in the band feels ready, IMO.

+1
ask everyone in the band before book a gig
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Cancel the gig. I've learnt a 40 minute setlist in two weeks before. However the hardest song was The Pretender by the Foo Fighters, so it wasn't like I was busting my ass learning the songs. If you're playing thrash, haven't practiced with your band and the guitarists are jerks about turning up then just cancel. Get the band sorted and rebook for a month or twos time.
Do freestyle rap.

Otherwise back out of the show RIGHT NOW and ask your bassist what he was doing out of the basement.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
STUDY THE WHITE STRIPES FURIOUSLY

and kick everyone out of the band that isnt really commited
Quote by shadesofanger
Do freestyle rap.

Otherwise back out of the show RIGHT NOW and ask your bassist what he was doing out of the basement.

Fag.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I think you can do it if you practice like mofos. You have two weeks and I'm sure the set isn't that long. My band has a done that on many occasions and it always comes out alright. I'm sure you can do it...and is that as chick guitarist you have?
Guitars:
Dean DOA ML 04 #31/50 w/ Dimarzios
Dean ML Knight w/ EMG's
Dean Avalanche w/ EMG's
Jackson DXMGT w/ EMG's
Ibanez RG350M w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzios
Ibanez V Blade w/ Dimarzios
Amps:
Marshall 8100 w/ Marshall Cab
Quote by ScottB.
Fag.

I'm such an ass. But I also play it.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Learn a bunch of easy songs like Enter Sandman if your a thrash type band.

Wow your band has a girl guitarist thats hot, can shread, and likes deathmetal...? Thats pretty astonishing...
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bitch slap your bassist if he booked without your permission. You shouldn't play gigs until everyone in the band feels ready, IMO.

wow doctor phil would say that...
Quote by 5150rando
wow doctor phil would say that...

Naw if it was doctor phill he would be like... You should go buy my 10 part book series on how to lose weight and grow hair from an overweight bald guy.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Page 1 of 2