So I've decided that its about time I looked into getting a laptop, with college being only two years away. However, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to laptops. Basically I want something that will be useful for school, but will also be good for recording and dealing with music. I know that macs are good for that type of thing, but I've also heard they are very expensive. As far as gaming is concerned I might want to install the occasional game but I don't want to trick it out to be the ultimate gaming machine or anything. My mom recently got an HP laptop and it seems pretty nice, but I'm not sure if it suits my needs. I don't have a definite price range yet so just give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
dude, if you are going to get a laptop to take to college, and thats two years from now, wait until then to get one.

its really not worth getting one now in that situation.
Yea...getting one now isn't the best idea. It will be out of date in a few years. Wait until the 6 months or so before you start school, then get one.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Wait. especially if you are getting a windows laptop. By the time you get to college, Windows will have released Windows 7, the sucessor to vista. So just sit it out. or you can do what i did and build your own for the time being.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
Yep what the other guys said.

In 2 years any laptop will become well outdated. I'm a computer salesmen and I can tell you in 6 months a top end computer you bought then is about as good as a $650 dollar computer you buy today. So think about 2 years...yea.
The Real Deal Holyfield
Quote by daytripper75
dude, if you are going to get a laptop to take to college, and thats two years from now, wait until then to get one.

its really not worth getting one now in that situation.

Yeah, in two years your laptop will be old, especially if you plan on keeping it until the end of college
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Quote by manic
Wait. especially if you are getting a windows laptop. By the time you get to college, Windows will have released Windows 7, the sucessor to vista. So just sit it out. or you can do what i did and build your own for the time being.

You built your own laptop?

And I agree, wait it out. There'll probably be better technology too by then; stronger processors, better video cards, longer battery life, etc.
patience is the key. wait until you are actually going to college and then get one. you may even be lucky enough to have your parents buy it for you as a going away present, so you are more likely to get a really good laptop.

plus, if you wait for 2 years, you can save up some of your own money and put it towards a new laptop. so instead of a $600 laptop, you could be getting a $1000 laptop.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Dude get one now if you want, but you'll probably need to upgrade a year or so into college.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
Kind of hard to recommend something without a budget. And I would agree with the people who are saying wait until you go to college. If you buy the system with the highest specs you can get right now it will probably be pretty mediocre in two years. Intel has just worked out a dual core processor that should be making its way into laptops soon. I think I might wait for that personally.
EDIT**** I was thinking quad core but for some reason I said dual)
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by soul_power
Intel has just worked out a dual core processor that should be making its way into laptops soon. I think I might wait for that personally.

Both Intel and AMD have been making dual cores for a long time. They have quad cores now. And they are both in laptops.

They have been making dual cores for like 3 years now.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
Both Intel and AMD have been making dual cores for a long time. They have quad cores now. And they are both in laptops.

Quads in laptops?
*runs to Google*

Wouldn't that kill the battery in about an hour? (how many nm is the processor?)
i'd wait if i were you. by the time you graduate, it'll be atleast 6 years from when you get this laptop. my computer's around 5-6 years old, and it's pretty much slow as eff. mine's a desktop, though, so it's not impossible to put a new faster processor in, like it would be for a laptop. well, not impossible, i don't think, but much more difficult. just use whatever you have now until college, or maybe get a faster processor or something to last you the 2 years until you go to college. a lot can happen to technology in 2 years, so it'll be worth the wait.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Maybe I was just being retarded and they don't. The latest intel CPUs are 45nm.

Nope, you're right - they have quite a few now actually. Although the only operating systems that could even take advantage of these cores as of now are probably GNU/Linux and OS X.

Edit: that article was from this month, last year
Quote by Masonpwiley

**** I meant to say quad. I have yet to see one in a laptop though. I'm hoping they'll start putting them in the Macbook Pros.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Get a Macbook, hell iBooks can still run Leopard and they shipped with what? OS9?
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG