Ive been playing now for about four months. Im completly self-taught and jumped right in to learning Flea's bass lines from the Chili Peppers Greatest hits album. Ive basically mastered this tablature book and im ready to move into other bands and other Chili peppers stuff but i would also like to hit some of the basics and learn to play chords, for musical styling and speed practice, plus i guess ill learn to hear bass lines more easily. the problem ive had so far is aquiring such instructions in bass chords. if you know of any books that have bass chords and where i can get them please let me know.

Thanks for the responses. i used the wrong word when i posted this i meant to use scales in place of chords(didnt really knowthe terminology). I have since aquiredsome instruction for scales.

Thanks
Last edited by jrhallman at Sep 1, 2008,
Power Chords are pretty much the only kind of chord that (imo) sounds good on a bass. Even then it only sounds good if played on the higher half of the bass's range.
You absolutely should not strum chords on a bass unless you know what you're doing. No matter how nice the chord is on piano/guitar, it will sound ugly and muddy in most cases. In the long run, you can also learn to tap/strum chords, but if you've only been playing 4 months I'd concentrate on more practical bass skills like improvisation and basic theory.

If you want to learn theory on how arpeggi (the notes that make up a chord) works, I suggest you learn scales and most importantly, play with other people. nothing can help your musical ear more than playing in a band or jamming. If you can't play with a band, play along to tracks on itunes by ear (without sheet music) to develop your musicality.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Actually.. chords sound great on bass.
There's a lot of musicians that use them, look them up on YouTube.
However, you need to learn arpeggi before chords. It'll help in the long run.
If you plan on playing in a band, it'd be more useful to be able to use an arpeggio
than a chord, it'll help the song better. When soloing though, or just doing a bass/drum
jam session, you use plenty of chords and still make it sound totally awesome.
Quote by __Ronnie__
Power Chords are pretty much the only kind of chord that (imo) sounds good on a bass. Even then it only sounds good if played on the higher half of the bass's range.

No, you need to learn how to EQ properly. I can pull of any kind of chord in any range in my bass and it sounds good and clean. This is not a bash or a flame.
Try 10th chords (3 strings down 1 fret for major chord no frets for minor) Flea uses them a lot, and they always sound good on bass
Quote by watchingmefall
No, you need to learn how to EQ properly. I can pull of any kind of chord in any range in my bass and it sounds good and clean. This is not a bash or a flame.

I concur. I am playing in a jazz combo right now and on several of the pieces, I play chords while the guitarist plays the head and improv. With the right EQ, it sounds rather wonderful; I actually prefer the sound of bass chords over guitar.

Chords also make great accents in songs as well when you are playing a melody or melodic line or in flamenco style strumming.

Once you understand chord construction, finding the correct fingerings is not that hard.