Okay. So basically I'm buying a whole new setup, now that I've been playing my Squier Strat on my little 15G amp for about three years. The guitar/amp setup that I'm looking for is one that produces a good pop/punk and alternative sound. Ex. Blink 182, Paramore, New Years Day, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, etc.

What are some guitars and amps that would be good for this kind of music?

Secondly, if I were to really pursue this genre(s) of music, what effects pedals would I need?
ud want phasers ( phase 90 is the industry standard), DS-1 distortion because metal zones n metal cores are too heavy for pop/punk, wah pedal of some kind for obvious reasons (or u can use it a filter that u leave in place), chorus, delay
well whats you budget first of all?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
well whats you budget first of all?

Well, I'm trying not to go over 1000 to 2000 dollars. So I don't need like super top of the line stuff, but definitely better than a pitiful squier and a 15 watt.
I have the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal. Amazing pedal with a wide range of tones for a big price tag of $150, but IMO I love it. I play the same genre as you pretty much and this pedal does the job.
well no offense but i hate all those bands you mentioned and pop-punk
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by dante_3_16
well no offense but i hate all those bands you mentioned and pop-punk

Then why are you in this thread?

I recommend a Michael Kelly guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/michael-kelly-guitars-mandolins-cases-electric-guitars?N=100001+202716+304275

Then for amps, I would check out...
A Traynor YCV50 Blue
A Peavey Classic 30
A Kustom Coupe 36
A Traynor YCV40WR

I would look used on all those amps, just to save some cash.
i really dont understand why people hate pop-punk so much....well anyway i play the same exact stuff as you haha...i love my rig...kinda im getting a JCM800 soon haha but for you, i would suggest a Standard Fat Strat, change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan JB or an Invader, or whatever you want haha. for the amp...possibly a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT; my friend has one and it gives you the most awesome tones for it. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Quote by guy66657
i really dont understand why people hate pop-punk so much....well anyway i play the same exact stuff as you haha...i love my rig...kinda im getting a JCM800 soon haha but for you, i would suggest a Standard Fat Strat, change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan JB or an Invader, or whatever you want haha. for the amp...possibly a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT; my friend has one and it gives you the most awesome tones for it. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Punk was orginally anti-Pop culture now just putting pop and punk together just makes a load of bollocks of music. It seems to have practically killed off punk music altogether. I Heard a similar thing happened to orgianlly emo music.
Not really...I think you need to take a step back and think about it.
punk was a nihilistic trend and philosophy that was "doomed" to fail from the very beginning. some of its elements include being simplistic music that anyone can play, rejection of predecessors in music (IE, straying away from the blues, the beatles, etc...), the spirit of DIY, and the rejection of culture..The idea of being the subculture is pretty much contradictory to the one of the Sex Pistols' nihilistic mottoes, "No Future". And in becoming a subculture and popular style of music, it drifted from its roots, because people began both drawing on their past predecessors for inspiration, and making their songs more complex.
Really, punk(whether it be punk rock, hardcore, whatever) today is a vast departure from anything punk was back then.

Just saying.
Okay, for a standard Pop-Punk sound, I would recommend a Gibson SG or Les Paul, Either a Special or Studio should be fine, just not special faded. Then for an amp you should get one of two things, but you'll need to test the two extensively to see which sound you like better. I say either a Marshall JCM 900 (two-channel) half stack, or a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier half stack. If you get either of those, you will need NO pedals at all unless you change genres. Also, both amps are perfect for pop-punk, but they're also great for SO many other styles, in case you go in a new direction.

I know people are going to say 'dont get a halfstack!' but with a budget like that, go for it. Unless you're not gigging and don't plan on gigging at all for a very long time.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by zeemonkey
ud want phasers ( phase 90 is the industry standard), DS-1 distortion because metal zones n metal cores are too heavy for pop/punk, wah pedal of some kind for obvious reasons (or u can use it a filter that u leave in place), chorus, delay

No offense, but this is bad advice. TS probably doesn't need a phaser. And he probably doesn't need a distortion pedal. Most pop-punk bands use the OD channel of their amps.

Guitar: Almost anything with medium-output humbuckers.
Amp: Any good tube or modeling amp with good medium-level gain.
Pedals: I don't think you need any.

Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
Punk was orginally anti-Pop culture now just putting pop and punk together just makes a load of bollocks of music. It seems to have practically killed off punk music altogether. I Heard a similar thing happened to orgianlly emo music.

What about The Buzzcocks and The Ramones? Did they kill punk back in the mid-late '70s?
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF

Right, because sound, tone, dynamics, meter and rhythm are about Anti-Establishment...
That may be lyrics/vocals you're talking about, be he's asking for guitar tones found in the pop-punk genre...

If you're going to be a music snob, perhaps you should put down your instruments and pick up a life.

In any case, I couldn't really help you with Amps, but as for effects:

Boss Ge-7 (7 band equalizer will give you exactly the tone you want)
Boss DS-1 (The distortion pedal WITH eq pedal will be wonderful)
Probably a compressor pedal

Guitars:

I'd look into decent Epiphones
LTDs
Schecters

EDIT: The pedals I recommended can stretch and be used for all genres.... well, i don't think the distortion can be used in classical or jazz.... but maybe!
Quote by werty22
(A) What about The Buzzcocks and The Ramones? Did they kill punk back in the mid-late '70s?

Quote by roshjosh
(B) Right, because sound, tone, dynamics, meter and rhythm are about Anti-Establishment...

While these weren't aimed at me...I'm bored at work...so..

A - No, not really saying that. They were still quite in the spirit of "raw rock n' roll", which is what punk originally was. They were a part of of the trend before it became a really popular subculture.

B - No, what I'm saying is the one of the original elements of punk was that it was very simplisitic, the complete antithesis of technicality and musicianship, really, the kind that was brought on by bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 30, 2008,
Okay. Great stuff! I have another question. A friend of mine told me about the DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal. For the sound I want, would anyone recommend this over the DS-1?
This is pro level stuff but if you have the money, go for it. Plus it might keep you motivated.
Amps:
Mesa Triple Rectifier
Marshall JCM 800 or 900
If you arent looking to shell out a grand for a head, look at the Sovtek MIG 50.

Guitars
One word: humbucker(s)...besides that, its all personal preference.
Les Paul, SG, Fat Strat, Tele Deluxe, etc.

Effects:
You don't really need many. A nice distortion should get you started. A ds-1 or tubescreamer.

If I could put together a pop punk rig with no budget I would go for a Triple Rectifier as my amp, Tele Deluxe as my guitar, then on my board i would probably want a dd-6, english muff'n, ds-1, crybaby, ph-3, and an Ibanez FL-9 flange.
For Sale/Trade:
Boss AC-2
Dunlop GCB 95

Telecaster Deluxe '72 reissue > Peavey VTX
Fender J Bass
Well the guitar is all based off of personal choice, but I'd take something with a mahogany body and humbuckers because of the full, round tone that gives you. The Epiphone Prophecy LP is loaded with Gibson Dirty Fingers which I've tried and loved, so you may want to look into that.

As for the amp, ideally I'd take a Marshall JCM 2000 for pop punk, but that's probably out of your range so maybe check out the Peavey Valveking or B-52 ST.
Dickless.