So I'm planning to get a new amp and a ME pedal from Boss(GT-8 or GT-10, its most probably one of those) next month and was wondering which is a good amp in the range of $500 USD(I don't mind buying it used from ebay) that will give me a nice sound(don't want any kind of hum or such) out of the combination, I will mainly use the amp for room practicing(don't have much neighbors so high volume is NOT a problem ) but I need a decent amount of volume in case I need it(I want to be at say 5 in the volume knob when I'm practicing alone, which would be high enough so my ears don't bleed, and be at say 8 when I'm playing with the drummer, you get me, well I think...) ; tubes or solid, half stack or combo, i'm open to mostly anything.

As a side note i like the fall of troy, the autumn offering and most things in between those two and will use a Gibson SG with EMG's(81,85).
I'd look into the Black Heart amps. They're extremely basic so they're cheaper but your getting a pedal anyways.

They're the half stack and combo, w/e you prefer. It's all tube and sounds extremely good.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
in your experience(i see that you have one) are they reliable in the long run?(plan on moving it every weekend or so)
Mesa DC-3 Combo; they're about 500 used, and the EL84s will get you the kind of tones you want (british voiced sound, which is what the bands you listed use). And it can do heavier AND lighter music. Actually, just the amp and a good delay or phaser will offer better tone than the multifx pedal in my opinion. Like a Boss DD-20 or a Line 6 DL4 and an EHX Small Stone would be like all you'd need.
Quote by FireandFlames
Used Roland JC combo

+2831245346581389456734

That is THE amp you want.
You don't want a mesa dude.
Why? Parallel effects loop.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
Mesa DC-3 Combo; they're about 500 used, and the EL84s will get you the kind of tones you want (british voiced sound, which is what the bands you listed use). And it can do heavier AND lighter music. Actually, just the amp and a good delay or phaser will offer better tone than the multifx pedal in my opinion. Like a Boss DD-20 or a Line 6 DL4 and an EHX Small Stone would be like all you'd need.

Why get an overpriced delay for no reason? The only thing the DD-20 has over the DD-7 is about 30 more seconds of delay...

He wont want tubes for low level practicing with the occasional loud-ing. Modulation wont sound all that good on a parallel effects loop amp. There is a noticeable difference between a serial and a parallel. On the parallel even when the mix is all the way up, about 10-15% of the signal sneaks through.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by Telepath
I looked at the Black Heart amps, are they good?

yes, but not for what you want. Whoever suggest that is just a bandwagon-er. Don't listen to him as a general idea.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well then I should be getting an amp WITHOUT a parallel effects loop right?
And, would I get that "british voiced sound" out of the Roland JC combo? or are there any other brands the will work for me too?
Quote by Telepath
And, would I get that "british voiced sound" out of the Roland JC combo? or are there any other brands the will work for me too?

If you're gonna be using a GT8/GT10, don't worry about the amp's voicing.

The JC will take those things no problem and make them sound nice.
JC120s go used for about $500
and smaller JC combos go for even less
Last edited by FireandFlames at Aug 30, 2008,
the boss gt line was designed to be used with the jc-120 so i would look for a jazz chorus or a roland keyboard amp as they are meant to work well with it too.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Telepath
I looked at the Black Heart amps, are they good?

I like the Valve Junior better and with the pedal you don't need to spend the extra on the eq and master volume of the blackheart. thing works great with my POD XT Live.

Quote by Telepath
Maybe a Vox Valvetronix?

No. Modeling plus modeling isn't the way to go.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
+2831245346581389456734

That is THE amp you want.
You don't want a mesa dude.
Why? Parallel effects loop.

Why get an overpriced delay for no reason? The only thing the DD-20 has over the DD-7 is about 30 more seconds of delay...

He wont want tubes for low level practicing with the occasional loud-ing. Modulation wont sound all that good on a parallel effects loop amp. There is a noticeable difference between a serial and a parallel. On the parallel even when the mix is all the way up, about 10-15% of the signal sneaks through.

Alright, I actually really liked the sound of the DD-20 compared to the DD-7.

Secondly, what's this about parallel effects loops? I've had this question for awhile since I tried using some effects through mine, and they sounded better through the front end. Is that something that happens with all parallel loops?

And not for anything, he'll get a better overall sound with the DC-3 as opposed to going with a JC-120 then using one of the Boss mutlifx through it. Sure, the JC-120 is amazing for clean sounds, but it can't do any distortion well at all.

Quote by Telepath

I don't see the big deal about the loops. Effects sound fine through the front end of my amp, although I'd not recommend getting a Boss GT if you go the Mesa route. They sound MORE than fine on their own, and the GT would only ruin the overall sound quality if you tried to use it for anything more than some effects. I've heard problems with the parallel loops and GT series, so that may be something to look into.

And a GT plus a JC-120 will "mimic" the british sound, but it won't truly get there. Only a tube amp with EL34s, EL84s or various other british voiced tubes will get you truly there. If you're tight for cash, and want tons of amp models, oodles of effects, and a ton of presets right at your finger tips, then go the GT route. But IMO, if you want to have a really good sound, and want something that'll be simple, yet versatile, go the DC route.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Alright, I actually really liked the sound of the DD-20 compared to the DD-7.

Secondly, what's this about parallel effects loops? I've had this question for awhile since I tried using some effects through mine, and they sounded better through the front end. Is that something that happens with all parallel loops?

And not for anything, he'll get a better overall sound with the DC-3 as opposed to going with a JC-120 then using one of the Boss mutlifx through it. Sure, the JC-120 is amazing for clean sounds, but it can't do any distortion well at all.

I don't see the big deal about the loops. Effects sound fine through the front end of my amp, although I'd not recommend getting a Boss GT if you go the Mesa route. They sound MORE than fine on their own, and the GT would only ruin the overall sound quality if you tried to use it for anything more than some effects. I've heard problems with the parallel loops and GT series, so that may be something to look into.

And a GT plus a JC-120 will "mimic" the british sound, but it won't truly get there. Only a tube amp with EL34s, EL84s or various other british voiced tubes will get you truly there. If you're tight for cash, and want tons of amp models, oodles of effects, and a ton of presets right at your finger tips, then go the GT route. But IMO, if you want to have a really good sound, and want something that'll be simple, yet versatile, go the DC route.

The reason why i say jazz chorus is to run the GT-10/8 through the effects loop, and using the GT's amp sim and effects sim. It's gonna be a much better sound than running it through the front of a tube amp, or probably even a tube amp in general. Because one the tube amp starts breaking up (i'm going to assume the DC is 40 watts because it has EL-84's)you will not get as good of a sound as you would get with the JC's poweramp.

I agree with the individual pedals with the DC combo. I agree with the better sound thing. But if the man is going to be doing bedroom playing for the most part, he will only rarely hear good tones from his amp. As i'm sure you know, tube amps need to be turned up fairly loud to get it there.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
the DC-3 is 30 or 35 watts (hence the 3), and it's actually relatively quite until you reach like 5. I had to crank it on 10 and put the gain up to like 6 to fill up my Guitar Center (about the equivalent of a decent size club), and I don't like turning amps up too loud for playing at GC, and had it most of the time at like 3 on the master. It's a really good amp for practicing and for playing out. If he IS hellbent on the Boss GT, then yea, getting the JC-120's his best bet for achieving good sounds with it.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
the DC-3 is 30 or 35 watts (hence the 3), and it's actually relatively quite until you reach like 5. I had to crank it on 10 and put the gain up to like 6 to fill up my Guitar Center (about the equivalent of a decent size club), and I don't like turning amps up too loud for playing at GC, and had it most of the time at like 3 on the master. It's a really good amp for practicing and for playing out. If he IS hellbent on the Boss GT, then yea, getting the JC-120's his best bet for achieving good sounds with it.

How many powertubes does it have?
There will be our awnser.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well, if I decide not to buy a multi fx and get just some analog pedals for the type of music I like what would be the best amp and which are some pedals I could buy?
Quote by Telepath
Well, if I decide not to buy a multi fx and get just some analog pedals for the type of music I like what would be the best amp and which are some pedals I could buy?

I say, get a boss DD-7, a tubescreamer, a phase 90, a crybaby 535q, and then probably a MXR 10 band EQ.

Keep in mind, it wouldn't be the worst idea to get the tubescreamer, phase 90, and the EQ off of ebay too. save some monies.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Maybe a Traynor.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by FireandFlames
Used Roland JC combo
Damn straight.
That's why I bought mine.
Quote by kool98769
How many powertubes does it have?
There will be our awnser.

I think it's like 5. Not sure they, never really cared that much. But I know the DC-5 is 50 watts, and the DC-10 is 100 watts, so it would be logical to say the DC-3 is like 30 watts since the DC-2 is 20 watts.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I think it's like 5. Not sure they, never really cared that much. But I know the DC-5 is 50 watts, and the DC-10 is 100 watts, so it would be logical to say the DC-3 is like 30 watts since the DC-2 is 20 watts.

I see.
We'll say 33 watts and call it a day
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer