Hey guys.
Ive been curious as to what i'd have to do to tune down a full octave ala Mortician ect.
I have 12-52 gauges on my guitar at the moment but the lose tension beyond playing and aroun the G-F mark. So sort of raising my action ridicously high, how woul i acheive this br00t4l down tuning?

I don't think that is even possible on a six string guitar. I mean, the low string on an 8 string guitar is F# which isn't even a full octave...

At a certain point it just stops being brutal and just becomes bass playing...
Quote by leps
Play your guitar through a bass amp.

i play through a bass amp and it doesnt sound even close like a bass or a octave down not even close to close
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Well, it's obvious, buy the highest gauge of strings you can find. I guess an 8 string set should do it.

And also, realise that lower tuning doesn't equal to more brutality.
don't go past C.... if you really want to, get an 7 or 8 string guitar or a baritone, but in all honesty... tuning down a full octave means you can just as well grab a 6 string bass, honestly I think thats the best if you wanna go down a full octave
Does anyone else wanna point out how freakin stupid this is or should i do the honours?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by steven seagull
Buy a baritone guitar.

I agree. But you can also buy a six string Bass and tune it an octave below the guitar, because it would handle the tuning better.
The suggestions to use a bass are just as stupid as tuning down the guitar a full octave. A bass sounds like a bass, not like a god damn guitar, and you have to play it through a bass amp, which will make it sound even more like a bass guitar.
Quote by R.D
Does anyone else wanna point out how freakin stupid this is or should i do the honours?

Its all yours.
But you are completely correct.
Adam
Quote by Blackvelvet
Its not about making the guitar sound like a bass. Im just curious if anyones tried it. I also wouldnt mind learnng some mortician songs.

Well, you can, if it's just an octave down then the notes you play will be the same as on standard, just...an octave up. Still the same song.
Quote by Blackvelvet
Well the bass would be tuned down an octave aswell.

Which would sound wank.
Quote by necroscience13
this. but stop all this stupid downtuning, if you want a heavy sound just tune in Eb or Db.

Electric Wizard tunes to drop A as far as I know, and it works.

Drop tuning is very useful in some situations.

A baritone guitar is useful, though
Sorry for bumping/reviving this thread, but I've recently done this, and also I managed to even reach drop D minus p8 . Now my old Cort G200 is a 6 string bass!

Strings are Dunlop's Heavy Core .12-.54

All I needed to do to achieve this was re-adjust the truss rod, which is sort of broken in this situation (it responds like a screw: turn ccw - it becomes too loose to manage, turn cw - as tight as hell).

The strings have enough tension to remain on the fretboard and make enough noise (have to re-tune frequently, though), the strings are busy, bending is way too easy, the harmonics don't match (I'll have to fix that), and the intervals on the fretboard are a little off with these strings (too sharp).
Quote by Paul!us
Sorry for bumping/reviving this thread, but I've recently done this, and also I managed to even reach drop D minus p8 . Now my old Cort G200 is a 6 string bass!

Strings are Dunlop's Heavy Core .12-.54

All I needed to do to achieve this was re-adjust the truss rod, which is sort of broken in this situation (it responds like a screw: turn ccw - it becomes too loose to manage, turn cw - as tight as hell).

The strings have enough tension to remain on the fretboard and make enough noise (have to re-tune frequently, though), the strings are busy, bending is way too easy, the harmonics don't match (I'll have to fix that), and the intervals on the fretboard are a little off with these strings (too sharp).

No one cares.

Reported.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"