I've had this strat for a while now. It came with 3 Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pick ups and they just sound a little weak for me. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions as for what kind of pick ups would work well for distortion with out turning it into mud. I have an SG with a P-90 in the bridge and it really sounds good, is their something similar for a strat?

One more question. This strat also came with the S1 switching system and I have no idea what it does. If some one can tell me what the difference in sound is when running in parallel or series with a "special" capacitor I'd really appreciate it.
Okay, so I've been looking around a Seymour Duncans, and so far I'm leaning towards 2 Cool Rails and a Hot Rail. Would it be better to stick the Hot Rail in the Bridge or Neck spot? I've seen a lot of people say Bridge, but I always thought that as a rule of thumb the Neck Pickup is used for lead.
Quote by forsaknazrael
These won't sound anything like real single coils, though.

A Hot Rails in the neck would sound awful, IMO. You don't need a hot pickup in the neck to play leads.

I'm not necessarily looking for single coils, just for something to play Hard Rock with more oomph, and able to do those metal squeals. I really don't know what I'm looking for in a pickup. I only know what I want the end result to be.
Well, in all honesty, I can do those pinch harmonics (or as you call them, metal squeals) with my Strat, which is loaded with vintage output pickups.

That said, I would look into maybe putting a humbucker in JUST the bridge. A Seymour Duncan TB-11 is always a good match for Strats. Check underneath your pickguard, to see if it can accept one.
I say just the bridge, because there's nothing to substitute for a single coil in the neck. It's a great tone, and I love it.
If you're set on upgrading the whole thing, single coils from rockmonkeyguitars.com are a my favorite brand. He gives a 10% discount to UGers. A pair of Swingin' Cools may be up your alley.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Check underneath your pickguard, to see if it can accept one.

I'm actually quite afraid to look underneath it, being that I have a S1 switch. I was looking at the wiring diagrams and their are about 3 to 4 times as many wires compared to a standard.
Quote by forsaknazrael

A Hot Rails in the neck would sound awful, IMO

You are actually very wrong. The neck position hotrails pickup sounds GREAT in the neck.
Dave Murray of Iron Maiden has this pickup in the neck of his strats.

It gives a very smooth singing tone when you crank the gain a little. If you're looking for a great lead sound for the strats neck, I'd deffinetly look into the hotrails.

I've played a guitar with a cool rails in the middle position and it was fat and punchy but a tad muddy and boxy at times.
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0101302A/SD0101302APg2.pdf

That's what I'm dealing with. I have no idea what is able to hook up to that. You seem to know quite a bit about wiring, do you think you could help? I just want a hot bridge and some nice SC's to go with it with out being over shadowed. They all need to be in the single coil in shape. I feel like such a noob, I hate to admit it.
^Sure, I'll take a look. It's quite late here, so my brain isn't operating at full capacity, but I'll take a look at it all this weekend. S-1 switching can't be that crazy, not after I did that switch install on my Strat. That 5-position rotary is awesome, though - totally worth it.

EDIT: Ah, so these are already noiseless pickups. 'Kay.
ED2: You already mentioned that. Doh! See, this is what I'm talking about.

Quote by XtAsY2007
You are actually very wrong. The neck position hotrails pickup sounds GREAT in the neck.
Dave Murray of Iron Maiden has this pickup in the neck of his strats.

It gives a very smooth singing tone when you crank the gain a little. If you're looking for a great lead sound for the strats neck, I'd deffinetly look into the hotrails.

I've played a guitar with a cool rails in the middle position and it was fat and punchy but a tad muddy and boxy at times.

Or maybe I just prefer something different? Doesn't make me wrong. I don't like hot pickups in my neck position. Sounds muddy.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 30, 2008,
I'm just going to add this in before I go to bed.

I really like what I hear about these Quarter Pound Flat SSL-4 pickups made my Seymour Duncan. Does anyone have an experience with them, I'm having a hard time finding a review on them.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Check HarmonyCentral.com for your review needs.

To be honest, I don't know that S-1 switching can be done with all normal single coils. Like I said, earlier, your noiseless pickups are actually stacked humbuckers.
My eyes were glazed over, I must of missed that.
Last edited by Dirty_Civilian at Aug 30, 2008,
scns are really nice pickups.

i guess not for everyone but i'm just wondering what amp you're using.

also s1 switching is a pain in the ass. you can just get 4 wire pickups, and a couple of push pull pots for the same effect and easier wiring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 30, 2008,