k so is the Line 6 Acoustic Variax 700 acoustic guitar any good? I really want one! I think it would be so awesome when using it to record and it looks gnarly! k so at the moment I don't have recording software or anything but I'm getting the apple garage band thing to use to do recording or maybe some kinda software from line 6 but would it be worth getting the guitar even though I don't have an acoustic amp? I'm sorry I don't really know much about acoustic electric guitars but I think that I need an amp for it but I don't have the money so I would just use it as a normal acoustic guitar and then when recording I'll use the awesome extra features that it has is that ok or would it be a waste? and are they any good or? and would that software be fine? and if I really need an amp what amp? thanks

oh and sorry I didn't mean to write giraffe I just clicked on paste cuz I thought that I copied the name Line 6 blah blah blah but then it said giraffe lol and I thought that was kinda funny but maybe not kkk..........
Last edited by xXguitard00dXx at Aug 30, 2008,
I can safely say that you over-think things. Kudos. Tis' entertaining.

But on the actual subject. the variax is pretty sick for recording but i wouldn't trust it to do anything else. if it is purely for recording then thumbs up.
I have an electric model and they are great guitars. Unfortunately they don't work without an amp or power mixer. They are entirely electronic. The acoustics are modeled. Not actual acoustics. Great guitars, but not for what your talking about.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Wtf???
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Minor Fingering
Why would someone researching guitars have giraffe in the clipboard?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? idk lol plz don't ask hehe =)
Hmm... why would you want an acoustic electric for recording? a mic and a natural acoustic sound much better(a good condenser mic that is). You don't really need an amp to record an acoustic anyway... If you buy an electric acoustic and then run it through an amp and then record that through a mic then you're just making more distortion. With acoustic guitars, that's a nono.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Hmm... why would you want an acoustic electric for recording? a mic and a natural acoustic sound much better(a good condenser mic that is). You don't really need an amp to record an acoustic anyway... If you buy an electric acoustic and then run it through an amp and then record that through a mic then you're just making more distortion. With acoustic guitars, that's a nono.

yeah but this guitar works differently you just plug it straight into the computer and then select what type of sound/guitar I want using the nob on the guitar and then the tuning using the other nob and press record. nice and easy with no feedback or any thing and it doesn't matter what noise is in the back ground or if the guitar is out of tune. so what my question was is it any good for that purpose and when I'm not recording do I need an amp or can I just play the guitar like a normal acoustic guitar?
Quote by xXguitard00dXx
yeah but this guitar works differently you just plug it straight into the computer and then select what type of sound/guitar I want using the nob on the guitar and then the tuning using the other nob and press record. nice and easy with no feedback or any thing and it doesn't matter what noise is in the back ground or if the guitar is out of tune. so what my question was is it any good for that purpose and when I'm not recording do I need an amp or can I just play the guitar like a normal acoustic guitar?

If you're looking to record more acoustic stuff than anything, I would suggest that you stick with an acoustic and a good condenser. Like stated by other posters above, the sound of this guitar is a modeled sound. It will not respond the same as an actual acoustic and it won't have the tonal complexities either. Also, recording through a mic shouldnt give you feedback either. Just don't be playing the mic through the speakers while you play.

If you're looking for something that's just versatile for any sound then this might be a good choice for you. It does a bit of everything. It doesn't do each sound that amazingly though, but it should be good enough.

Umm... also... what do you mean it doesnt matter if the guitar is out of tune. You need to tune the Line6 too... don't you?

You should be able to play the guitar acoustically, but it wont be very loud at all because it's a thin body guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
If you're looking to record more acoustic stuff than anything, I would suggest that you stick with an acoustic and a good condenser. Like stated by other posters above, the sound of this guitar is a modeled sound. It will not respond the same as an actual acoustic and it won't have the tonal complexities either. Also, recording through a mic shouldnt give you feedback either. Just don't be playing the mic through the speakers while you play.

If you're looking for something that's just versatile for any sound then this might be a good choice for you. It does a bit of everything. It doesn't do each sound that amazingly though, but it should be good enough.

Umm... also... what do you mean it doesnt matter if the guitar is out of tune. You need to tune the Line6 too... don't you?

You should be able to play the guitar acoustically, but it wont be very loud at all because it's a thin body guitar.

oh k. thank you I get it now thanks very much man. oh and what I mean by not tuning it I read somewhere that when your recording you don't have to tune it which I would any way because I hate playing out of tune I can't stand it. =)
Quote by captivate

You really can't It's like playing an electric unplugged. I do recommend the guitar, I tried one before i bought the electric. My electric has several acoustic models and resonators and i'm still amazed by this technology after a year of ownership. I have 3 regular electric and 3 acoustic guitars and the Variax holds fast as my main guitar. It does everything and does it pretty well. 1 thing that's important though is a good EQ. With a good EQ I still wouldn't put it against the highend guitars it's trying to model, but anything selling for less then $500 is fair game.

Yes, you still have to tune it and you still have to change strings. It's a normal guitar in that respect. I'd recommend one to anyone. It's a high build quality instrument and really quite good setup with the proper equipment.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD