I'm deciding on which amp to buy. I've done some research and I can't decide on which on to get.

I'm thinking about getting:

Blackheart Little Giant
Fender Blues Junior
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD50VT (thanks forsaknazrael)
Roland Cube 30x

Budget is $300 - $500+.

I'd love to learn some Pink Floyd classic rock songs, Hendrix, Satch, and probably some Petrucci. I also want to play in front of church, so some Hillsong United and Starfield.

To sum it up, I wanna play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz Fusion, Gospel, and Progressive.

I own a MIM Fender Standard Strat with stock pups. I don't have the money to change the pups yet, maybe in the future.

Which amp would you think be more suitable to the sound I'm after and why?

Thanks!!
Last edited by ToOYOoT at Aug 30, 2008,
The Blues Junior sounds like it may be up your alley.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd bump up to the Vox AD50VT, or check out the Line 6 Flexton II or III. Look used, for the Flextone. I see the Flextone II or III go for sale, with the pedalboard extension, for 450 bucks, on my local craigslist, all the time.

I didn't really like the Flextones for some reason. But the Vox AD50VT sounds good! Does it sound like an all-valve amp? Or at least something close? I'm not a purist, but I just like the all-valve tone a bit more (lol. most do.. I think...) It sounds more "alive", I guess. Can't really find the word.. lol!
Quote by ToOYOoT
I didn't really like the Flextones for some reason. But the Vox AD50VT sounds good! Does it sound like an all-valve amp? Or at least something close? I'm not a purist, but I just like the all-valve tone a bit more (lol. most do.. I think...) It sounds more "alive", I guess. Can't really find the word.. lol!

There's nothing that's going to sound like an all tube amp, save an all tube amp.

The AD50VT comes very close, even closer with an OD in front of it. I use mine as a clean boost, and can get very close to tube tone. The thing it lacks, mainly, is the dynamics associated with tube amps.

A Blues Junior/Blues Deluxe would do the trick for you as well, if you can find a BD within your range, used.
Quote by shadow__666
The Blues Junior sounds like it may be up your alley.

You think I can get the tone I need from it? It's a bit overpriced though. I mean it's just the basic nuts and bolts of an amp. No speaker out or anything. Doesn't have a standby switch either.. But I love the sound of the thing!

What do you think of the Little Giant? The same guy who engineered the Epi Valve Jr. was the one who made it, too right? I haven't tried one though. I can't seem to find one around...
now gospel can be an lot of things. however, if its the southern black gospel that i know and love, i would go with a deluxe or princeton reverb. it would do everything perfectly, except progressive.

edit/ i see by gospel you mean praise and worship. any of those amps would sound just fine for playing the same chords voicings over and over again. the vox would be the most versatile, get that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
There's nothing that's going to sound like an all tube amp, save an all tube amp.

The AD50VT comes very close, even closer with an OD in front of it. I use mine as a clean boost, and can get very close to tube tone. The thing it lacks, mainly, is the dynamics associated with tube amps.

A Blues Junior/Blues Deluxe would do the trick for you as well, if you can find a BD within your range, used.

Wow. Two people suggested the same thing (Fender Blues series). They're THAT good?? What about the NOS upgrade of the Blues Jr.? Think its worth paying that extra $50? I'm gonna look for Blues Deluxe around. In my local craigslist, it's all Blues Jr. and Blues DeVilles.... O_O No Blues Deluxe...
Look used for a BJ, you could probably find one as cheap as 300 bucks. A blues deluxe would be good too, probably be able to find one used for around 400 bucks. The extra wattage would come in handy for gigs.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by chea_man
now gospel can be an lot of things. however, if its the southern black gospel that i know and love, i would go with a deluxe or princeton reverb. it would do everything perfectly, except progressive.
edit/ i see by gospel you mean praise and worship. any of those amps would sound just fine for playing the same chords voicings over and over again. the vox would be the most versatile, get that.

Southern black gospel?? Can you give me a song??? I'm curious!! hahaha! I wanna hear some!!!
Quote by Kevin Saale
Look used for a BJ, you could probably find one as cheap as 300 bucks. A blues deluxe would be good too, probably be able to find one used for around 400 bucks. The extra wattage would come in handy for gigs.

Do you think the BJ could be heard over drums with its volume cranked up, not losing any of its tonal qualities? The Blues Deluxe... so goooddd... I didn't even consider buying second-hand. I don't know what to look for though.. if it's in good condition or not.. I mean it might LOOK well-maintained on the outside, but what about the inside? Any advice on that?
look up "amen" by otis redding.
basically, all of contemporary american music today can be traced back to 2 things. bluegrass and blues. both of which are deeply related to religious music, with bluesgrass you had the "white" gospel, and with the blues you had "black" gospel.
i would love to write an article on the history of american music for UG sometime.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
basically, all of contemporary american music today can be traced back to 2 things. bluegrass and blues. both of which are deeply related to religious music, with bluesgrass you had the "white" gospel, and with the blues you had "black" gospel.
i would love to write an article on the history of american music for UG sometime.

Whoah. I definitely didn't know that!! So bluegrass and blues? What about Jazz? Didn't blues come from jazz? NOT SURE though... I don't know anything about music history. Yeah man!! Write about it sometime!!! I'd love to read it and get myself educated!!!
And I love the simplicity of the song. Definitely gonna check that out more. I like "I've Got Dreams to Remember". I saw it on the bottom right "Related Videos" on Youtube. HAHA!
Quote by chea_man

If you ever choose to, I would be happy to contribute.

Whoah. I definitely didn't know that!! So bluegrass and blues? What about Jazz? Didn't blues come from jazz? NOT SURE though... I don't know anything about music history. Yeah man!! Write about it sometime!!! I'd love to read it and get myself educated!!!
And I love the simplicity of the song. Definitely gonna check that out more. I like "I've Got Dreams to Remember". I saw it on the bottom right "Related Videos" on Youtube. HAHA!

Jazz came from three places, mainly. The Creole orchestras in New Orleans, Blues from the people migrating to New Orleans for work related reasons in the early 1900's/late 1800's, and Ragtime/minstrel music.

Blues came from the religious music of the south, and is largely based on an oral tradition.
Quote by ToOYOoT
Wow. Two people suggested the same thing (Fender Blues series). They're THAT good?? What about the NOS upgrade of the Blues Jr.? Think its worth paying that extra $50? I'm gonna look for Blues Deluxe around. In my local craigslist, it's all Blues Jr. and Blues DeVilles.... O_O No Blues Deluxe...

The Blues series is pretty good, IMO,

I prefer the NOS Blues Junior more the regular one, but value is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote by ToOYOoT
Do you think the BJ could be heard over drums with its volume cranked up, not losing any of its tonal qualities? The Blues Deluxe... so goooddd... I didn't even consider buying second-hand. I don't know what to look for though.. if it's in good condition or not.. I mean it might LOOK well-maintained on the outside, but what about the inside? Any advice on that?

If you can try this used amp first then just make sure it sounds right. Turn every knob to max and minimum (even the volume, just turn down the volume on your guitar to 2 or 3 first) and make sure there isn't crackling. You should probably plan on replacing the tubes asap unless the guy you bought them from says their new (in which case you might as well get new ones because he may be lying and you can use a spare set anyhow)
Quote by imgooley
If you ever choose to, I would be happy to contribute.

Jazz came from three places, mainly. The Creole orchestras in New Orleans, Blues from the people migrating to New Orleans for work related reasons in the early 1900's/late 1800's, and Ragtime/minstrel music.

Blues came from the religious music of the south, and is largely based on an oral tradition.

So does that mean Jazz combined all those things into one "genre" or sound? It's a fairly new then, about 100 years old. Does that mean all music before that is classified as "Classical music", nothing more? Or does that have branches, too?

What does Blues being based on an oral tradition mean?

Sorry. This is a bit branching off from my question. But I find the origin of music interesting! You have to know your roots to know where you're going.. I believe. Have any books or websites you can suggest for me to explore these topics further?
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you can try this used amp first then just make sure it sounds right. Turn every knob to max and minimum (even the volume, just turn down the volume on your guitar to 2 or 3 first) and make sure there isn't crackling. You should probably plan on replacing the tubes asap unless the guy you bought them from says their new (in which case you might as well get new ones because he may be lying and you can use a spare set anyhow)

Thanks man!!! For the advice and everything.

Do you think changing the tubes affect the overall tone of an amp? Like, different brands of tube? And not just from old tubes to new ones?
No problem. I've learned that used is really the only way to go. As long as you try the amp first or get some sort of return policy it's hard to get a lemon.
Quote by ToOYOoT
So does that mean Jazz combined all those things into one "genre" or sound? It's a fairly new then, about 100 years old. Does that mean all music before that is classified as "Classical music", nothing more? Or does that have branches, too?

What does Blues being based on an oral tradition mean?

Sorry. This is a bit branching off from my question. But I find the origin of music interesting! You have to know your roots to know where you're going.. I believe. Have any books or websites you can suggest for me to explore these topics further?

Before modern music, there was mostly folk/roots music, which Gospel/Religious music, Bluegrass, Blues can be described as, military music, and Western Art Music, which is what Classical music is.

Get Ken Burns' Jazz and Martin Scorsese' Presents The Blues. You'll learn a lot from them.
i was oversimplifying with my "just blues and bluegrass" statement.
the oral tradition that he speaks of is basically holler songs, work songs, and shouts. while slaves worked the fields, they would all sing songs together, and they were passed down orally. shortly after and the civil war, southern blacks began to take it a step further.
jazz and blues both cam from this, as well as the "black" religious music. all of which have many branches, esp. jazz.

if you ever have the opportunity to listen to tradtional scotch-irish folk music (folk music actually means music of the people, it is the aboriginal music in a region) it sounds remarkably like bluegrass. the scotch and irish (who were later called rednecks due to the way their pale skin burnt in the fields when they worked) brought there music with them. bluegrass was born, later it even mixed with delta and peidmont blues, and formed what we know as country music. of course it soon mixed with rock to have what we have today.
if i were to right an article, does anyone know where on this sight i would submit it too?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.