what is the real difference in the 4 and 5 string bass, besides the obvious.

And do all that many people really use a 5 string bass? Can you give examples?

Also, is it hard to go from a 4 string to a 5 string?
Ryan Martinie off Mudvayne uses 5 string
Paul Gray from Slipknot uses 5 string
Paolo Webster from Cannibal Corpse sometimes uses 5 string

I play 4 string so I wouldnt know
The real difference in having 5 string instead of 4 is just the fact you get lower without having to tune the bass.

I'm not sure but I think many metal bands use them in studio?

I don't think it's going to be difficult, you just have to remember that the lowest string is B instead of E.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
another reason people use 5 strings is because you dont have to move around as much as you would on a 4 string

flea also used 1 in the BSSM album for 2 songs
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Theres plenty of bass players use them such as Fieldy and Flea (BSSM) cant think of anyothers right now but if was going to switch from a 4 string Id go straight to a 6 string.
The main difference is you can hit more notes without changing position, which can add fluidity to your bass lines and make certain things easier to play.

The bassist from papa roach plays a 5 string, thats a really bad example, but Ive been awake about 5 minutes,so there we go, erm, John Myung of Dream Theater plays a 6 string, same principle really, ditto Les Claypool!

I personally find it hard, but I hate thick/chunky necks, so I generally dont get on the with them, the ibanez SR (I think) series however I found easier to play, and Im getting used to my mates Spector also, but it's not that hard to make the transition, the aforementioned mate with Spector made it incredibly easily, Im just weird.

hope this helped
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
5-string is a lot easier to play and you generally don't have to worry about changing the tuning. Except in some cases like with korn,, but for the most part i play a 5-string and i haven't had any problems. its best just to step it up to the 5th string, especially if you plan on playing metal since a lot of hard rock and heavy metal bassist use 5 or even 6 string bass guitars
Quote by Drezzdez
Ryan Martinie off Mudvayne uses 5 string
Paul Gray from Slipknot uses 5 string

Paul Gray doesnt use 5 string. us tunes his four string BEAD.

Most people use 5 strings to get a lower range, the strings spacing are narrower than a four string so it maybe easier to pick or pluck, but the neck and fretboard is bigger than a four string so it makes fingering harder.
Quote by skippy_moogoose
The main difference is you can hit more notes without changing position, which can add fluidity to your bass lines and make certain things easier to play.
Yeah, this is the major thing. More notes in each position.

I love playing 5s, myself. Try it and see how you find it though.
Quote by Drezzdez

His name is Alex Webster, and he always uses a five string.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
i own and actively play both. basicly the 5 give you the option to tune down less for low notes and also not have to move your hand around so much when playing around the middle of the neck
well if you want a 5 u may aswell go the extra distance and get a 6 string but if ya not botherd what ya get then get a 4.
Quote by bass is bestest
well if you want a 5 u may aswell go the extra distance and get a 6 string but if ya not botherd what ya get then get a 4.

BS. I am far more comfortable on 5 strings than 6. When I got my 5er, there was no way in hell I would have got a 6er. They never felt good to play, no matter how much I tried to like them.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
BS. I am far more comfortable on 5 strings than 6. When I got my 5er, there was no way in hell I would have got a 6er. They never felt good to play, no matter how much I tried to like them.

fair enough all im saying is people who have bought 5 strings tend to go for 6 anyway may aswell cut out the middle man and get a 6 (p.s six strings are uber comfortable should be to most poeple unless you have small hands or bad technique)
Last edited by bass is bestest at Aug 30, 2008,
it isnt hard to switch from a 4 to a 5 string.... but it may be awkward for a little while
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by bass is bestest
fair enough all im saying is people who have bought 5 strings tend to go for 6 anyway may aswell cut out the middle man and get a 6 (p.s six strings are uber comfortable should be to most poeple unless you have small hands or bad technique)

I have neither bad technique nor especially small hands. However, I feel at home on 5ers, and I feel like they will always be my primary basses. While I can manage a 6er, they feel a bit alien to me.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I have neither bad technique nor especially small hands. However, I feel at home on 5ers, and I feel like they will always be my primary basses. While I can manage a 6er, they feel a bit alien to me.

are you saying if you had started on a 6er instead of a 5er you would be more comfortable playing the 6er. which again is the learning process ..what im saying is if in a few years you see yourself playing a 6er then you may aswell cut out the middleman and buy the sixer (unless your just starting out ) ... cause i play a 4 string im not gunna pick up a 6er without it feeling "alien" its not sposed to feel natural playing something you havent tried before.. your sposed to learn how and eventually it will feel natural.
Quote by bass is bestest
are you saying if you had started on a 6er instead of a 5er you would be more comfortable playing the 6er. which again is the learning process ..what im saying is if in a few years you see yourself playing a 6er then you may aswell cut out the middleman and buy the sixer (unless your just starting out ) ... cause i play a 4 string im not gunna pick up a 6er without it feeling "alien" its not sposed to feel natural playing something you havent tried before.. your sposed to learn how and eventually it will feel natural.

I'm talking about when I moved away from 4 strings. Of course a different number will seem alien to start with, but I quickly got used to playing 5ers in store.

On the other hand, 6ers never got more comfortable. I could play fine on them, but they never felt comfortable. I was initially going to get a 6er, but after playing both I settled on 5ers, which I felt more comfortable on than the 4 stringer I owned at the time.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I'm talking about when I moved away from 4 strings. Of course a different number will seem alien to start with, but I quickly got used to playing 5ers in store.

On the other hand, 6ers never got more comfortable. I could play fine on them, but they never felt comfortable. I was initially going to get a 6er, but after playing both I settled on 5ers, which I felt more comfortable on than the 4 stringer I owned at the time.

I had the same thing started on 4 moved to 5 and WAS planning to get a 6-string.
A 5 string actually immediately felt more comfortable, but the 6-string doesn't feel that comfortable so I don;'t I am moving on!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Would anyone here recommend actually STARTING with a 5-string and not even bother with a 4-string, or is that an upgrade you should make once you're a more advanced player?
Quote by Miodi
Would anyone here recommend actually STARTING with a 5-string and not even bother with a 4-string, or is that an upgrade you should make once you're a more advanced player?

IMHO it doesn't matter. If you start with a fiver... big deal, it's just an extra string that you'll get used to as you practice anyway.
hey

i just turned to the darkside and bought a 5 string, i love it, basically got it so i could play anything that i came across and makes playing Eb's so much easier

nickelback uses one on many occasions tuned to either low B or Low C

its really up to what you wanna get out of it, with the 5 string it opens the door to so many other options when playing and allows you to play heaps more songs.... but as i said its all a personal oppinion... up to you

for me, moving to the 5 string was the best move i ever could have made
Dam Briggs (BTBAM), John Myung (Dream Theater), Fieldy (Korn), Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse), Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne), Rob Trujillo (Metallica), me, are all exclusive 5 sting players.

I know john Myung usually plays a six, but the whole of Systematic Chaos was played with a five string Bongo (I think).

The main reason people play 5 strings is because of economy of motion i.e. more notes in the one hand position. Also, If your a lazy **** like me, you can go lower without having to detune.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Dam Briggs (BTBAM), John Myung (Dream Theater), Fieldy (Korn), Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse), Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne), Rob Trujillo (Metallica), me, are all exclusive 5 sting players.

Martinie owns a 4 string Vampyre and still plays 4 string sometimes.

I know john Myung usually plays a six, but the whole of Systematic Chaos was played with a five string Bongo (I think).

Tht's true

The main reason people play 5 strings is because of economy of motion i.e. more notes in the one hand position. Also, If your a lazy **** like me, you can go lower without having to detune.

Technically you can, but that's not what a 5 string is about. It doesn't eliminate the need to down tune.
if your switching from a 4 to a 5 dont get a large neck cause scheter necks are small as i dont know what. and 4 to a 5 from them is fine. BUT! dont go from a scheter 4 to a fender 5. some of fenders have large necks and can be much more drastic than it really is. but that was an example. also a 5 is lower notes/less tuning down. alot more fun to slap in my personal opinion. and can help with creativity in creating new basslines.

and on a side note i got a 5 string cause it was cheaper than the 4 string model of it with all the same hardware except one obviously had an extra string (B)
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Last edited by matosh.lee at Aug 31, 2008,
mike kroeger from nickelback (shut up hater's. he's a good bassist)
and
P-nut from 311
both use five strings
plus many, many, more