if the song is in the key of C Major do i use the C Dorian Scale or the D Dorian Scale? because the notes are exactly the same in C Ionian and D Dorian I dont see how you distinguish a change.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Dorian is a minor mode, playing it over a major chord probably isn't your best bet.

And playing D Dorian wouldn't be Dorian or any other mode, it would be C Major.
so say if i played it over Am then?

So you dont play D Dorian over C Major? (I Mean is it a mode you would use in D that has the same fingerings as C Major scale?)
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Don Rickles
And playing D Dorian wouldn't be Dorian or any other mode, it would be C Major.

what do i play for the phrygian mode over C then?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
could you rephrase your question? i don't quite see what your getting at
You are now blinking manually
Quote by Conca
what do i play for the phrygian mode over C then?

Your question is pretty vague. If I understood it correctly then E Phrygian is the third of mode of C major. If you want to play C Phrygian and you're looking for a chord that works well with that mode, then play a Cm then Bbm7 and use the flat second (Db) over the the second chord because it contains that note which makes your passage sound right.
what i mean is do i play E phrygian over:

1. C Major

or.

2. E Major
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
its really hard to explain what you mean on the internet sorry
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
what i mean is do i play E phrygian over:

1. C Major

or.

2. E Major

You can't play E phrygian over C major because the mode depends on the tonal centre. If you're playing over C or in the key of C and you're using the notes of C major then that's what it will be. If you play the notes of C major over a tonal centre of E, a static single note bassline will do it, then those notes become E phrygian.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You can't play E phrygian over C major because the mode depends on the tonal centre. If you're playing over C or in the key of C and you're using the notes of C major then that's what it will be. If you play the notes of C major over a tonal centre of E, a static single note bassline will do it, then those notes become E phrygian.

so if you play the C Major scale it only becomes E Phrygian if someone else is playing E?
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca
so if you play the C Major scale it only becomes E Phrygian if someone else is playing E?

If the tonal center is E, yes. Truth be told, I'd ignore modes until you have a firm grasp on the theory behind the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Conca

Correct. I'll give you a brief idea about the modes of the C major scale. Each scale begins on the note next to it:
1-Ionian (The major Scale) C
2-Dorian (Minor scale with a raised 6th) D
3-Phrygian (Minor Scale with a flat 2nd) E
4-Lydian (Major scale with a raised 6th) F
5-Mixolydian(Major scale with a flat 7th) G
6-Aeolian (The minor scale) A
7-Locrian (Minor scale with a flat 2nd and 5th) B