Currently i own a Kustom Tube12A and its nice amp with good cleans and bluesy distortion but i need a bit more distortion for 90's alternative rock like mudhoney and nirvana. And to play some black flag and other hardcore punk bands. I also enjoy playing soundgarden, queens of the stone age, foo fighters, RHCP and loads of classic rock. Ive had a look into a Little big muff that looks pretty good for nice fuzz and distortion (Plus mudhoney used muffs) good idea? Any more ideas? I dont really have a budget (just not too much) yet im just weighing up what is hould look into.
tubescreamer?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
tubescreamer?

TS7 or are they no good? The usual TS9? Bad monkey ive heard their like cheap tubescreamers.
Quote by georgakis187
maxon od808...just got one

*orgasm*

Problem I live in Britain So there pretty hard to find.... which is annoying
I have this

It gives an amazing boost and really tightens up your tone. I recommend that website over Thomann for 3 reasons.

Based in UK (better range of paying methods)
More reliable
Cheaper delivery.

They also do the Maxon 808 on there
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
If you're looking at the muff, I suggest either the Russian muff or the NYC muff. The LBM doesn't have true bypass.

A TS won't give you fuzz, if that's what you want.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I have this

It gives an amazing boost and really tightens up your tone. I recommend that website over Thomann for 3 reasons.

Based in UK (better range of paying methods)
More reliable
Cheaper delivery.

They also do the Maxon 808 on there

ummm....how is that better than thomann price wise??? did u CHECK the price comparison???
If you're into the Nirvana tone and stuff, perhaps you should try a Boss DS2. I think he used a DS2 by the end. Cheap too, you can pick them up second hand for nothing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Can't beat a TS808. If you're going to get a Tubescreamer don't get a TS9, they're not bad but the TS808 really is better. It's worth the extra $50. It's more transparent, and has just a smidge more gain.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
Currently i own a Kustom Tube12A and its nice amp with good cleans and bluesy distortion but i need a bit more distortion for 90's alternative rock like mudhoney and nirvana. And to play some black flag and other hardcore punk bands. I also enjoy playing soundgarden, queens of the stone age, foo fighters, RHCP and loads of classic rock. Ive had a look into a Little big muff that looks pretty good for nice fuzz and distortion (Plus mudhoney used muffs) good idea? Any more ideas? I dont really have a budget (just not too much) yet im just weighing up what is hould look into.

There actually is a pedal called Grunge that Digitech makes. IT's worth a look. It's a little fuzzy, but the thing is like indestructible and really powerful...

Just don't turn your amp up.
The Wheel of Time turns. What was may be again, and what is may yet pass...
Quote by Wolfsong
There actually is a pedal called Grunge that Digitech makes. IT's worth a look. It's a little fuzzy, but the thing is like indestructible and really powerful...

Just don't turn your amp up.

I hate to blatantly disagree, but the grunge pedal is just an excuse for out of control muddy drive in stompbox form. It's not great.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Ive looked into the digitech grunge it has bad distortion as VoodooCow said above. I've got kinda of a budget now upto about mayb £50 or so (is that roughly $100?)

And im leaning toward the russian muff.
Last edited by RHCP_Nirvana_FF at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by georgakis187
ummm....how is that better than thomann price wise??? did u CHECK the price comparison???

Well, it was cheaper from there when i bought mine. They have gone up in price since. But considering how much cheaper postage is for the uk one, theres not a lot of difference.

Plus thomann is gay, too renound for messing up orders
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by VoodooCow229
Can't beat a TS808. If you're going to get a Tubescreamer don't get a TS9, they're not bad but the TS808 really is better. It's worth the extra $50. It's more transparent, and has just a smidge more gain.

I really have to disagree. The difference between the the 808 and the 9 is two 5 cent components that you could swap out yourself in about 5 minutes. Hell, it'll take long for the soldering iron to heat up.

TS: If you want something fuzzy then a muff might be right up your alley, if not, some sort of Tubescreamer clone would work well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the muff would think do great for mudhoney i think, also most grunge and alt rock. then just the OD on your amp would work great for any classic rock you want to do.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by imgooley
If you're looking at the muff, I suggest either the Russian muff or the NYC muff. The LBM doesn't have true bypass.

A TS won't give you fuzz, if that's what you want.

LBM does have true bypass, i own one, and i like it more than the russian (NO TB) and NYC

It works great for 90's alternative if you like that fuzzed out sludgey sound
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Look at danelectros
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
another option you should definately look into is the ProCo Rat 2 pedal, an extremely versatile, moddable pedal and really good value for money.

With a bit of tweaking it can give you dirty fuzzines, good clean classic rock distortion and everything inbetween. And with mods like the one Keeley does, well it can only improve. Often overlooked but sorely underestimated.

Plus, some of the bands you mentioned, or leading bands in those genres used it. You should at least check it out
Quote by Revhain
another option you should definately look into is the ProCo Rat 2 pedal, an extremely versatile, moddable pedal and really good value for money.

With a bit of tweaking it can give you dirty fuzzines, good clean classic rock distortion and everything inbetween. And with mods like the one Keeley does, well it can only improve. Often overlooked but sorely underestimated.

Plus, some of the bands you mentioned, or leading bands in those genres used it. You should at least check it out

Thanks may i ask is their any difference at all/much of a difference between the turbo rat and just the basic proco rat 2?

I know people like dave grohl, kurt cobain, thom yorke, jeff beck have used the pedals in the past.
They're not cheap, but Blackstar are great! £100 or so though...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Dirt cheap, I would say BOSS DS1. That would be quite dirt cheap. And not that good. But maybe a Marshall Guv'nor to shove over a distortion channel. It's only about £40, but it really does kick major arse.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I own one. Sounds GREAT with a dying battery or voltage knob
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
Thanks may i ask is their any difference at all/much of a difference between the turbo rat and just the basic proco rat 2?

I know people like dave grohl, kurt cobain, thom yorke, jeff beck have used the pedals in the past.

I believe its simply a difference in gain stages, but don't take my word on that. The regular rat 2 is the most often used one of the two, but if you can try them both out, why not?
Quote by Johnonon
I own one. Sounds GREAT with a dying battery or voltage knob

So does it get a fairly good distortion/overdrive? The pedal looks intresting
Has it got a good muff tone?
It's not really like a big muff

It's more of a fuzzy OD. Cool garage rock/classic rock/punk tones
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild