Page 1 of 2
Hi there, I was just wondering a couple of things about the vibro champ xd

Firstly, will it sound good at TV/loud-ish conversation volumes?

Secondly, despite its lack of FX loop, will it take pedals like delays well? (would only use the reverb on the amp as the fx are not footswitchable)

Finally, how does it take OD pedals? Im confused as to whether this is actually a valve amp or modeller with a gimmick, so could anyone tell me whether it would react well to having a tubescreamer infront of one of the fender models to get a SRV sound? Would it take something like a Boss SD-1 set to boost to boost the valves and push them a bit harder? or does the amp not work like that?

Ive searched but not come up with anything except people saying what good amps these are!!

Thanks
It's tube(6v6, 12ax7). I think you could safely use it as a bedroom amp, but it could bug some people if you crank it. I'm not big on od's so I couldn't give you real good answer on that, but I can tell you that the Vibrochamp is a CLEAN amp, so you may need more than an od. You may need somethin that adds a bit of distortion on its own.
Hi, thanks for the response. My questions were referring to the new(ish) vibrochamp XD, with the 16 amp voicings and DSP effects. I have heard the amp get quite dirty on its own, so you must be referring to an actual vibro champ. sorry for the confusion

anyone had experience with the XD??
i beleive that it is a tube amp, with an additional modeller in the preamp section. i was once told that you can play the amp completely dry (as in without any models, just the clean pure tube tone) as well as use it with the models. now i have no real experience with this amp, so this shall effectiively serve as a bump for someone who knows about the amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I've also been looking at this amp, but not yet got a chance to play it....

chea_man is right - on the clean channel the signal path is all valve. It's only on the second channel the solid state modelling is used.

I would think OD/Dist pedal would work well on clean channel but not on the other..
the vibro champ is only one channel isnt it?!

i thought it was the super champ that had the channel switching, but is louder. looking at the pics on the fender website it looks like you can only play through one of the 16 amp voicings on the vibro
the vibro champ XD will sound ok at talking levels, but like all tube amps, shines when it's cranked.

it will hande pedals well throught he front end

and an OD will only be necessary if you can to go from the chimey clean settings to then heavier settings. you can get a pretty blusey tone from it on one of the fender style voicings and putting the gain to your taste. you can clean it up by backing off the volume a little.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
awesome you had experience with the amp then?

Im really into that SRV type sound, but obviously love my slash, so was hoping this amp could cover it bother if i got some pedals. I was thinking maybe the plexi model boosted with an SD-1 might push the amp into that sort of appetite for destruction tone.

i know it isnt really ideal for slash stuff (what is at that price) but is it a good all rounder??
Sorry dude, i was getting mixed up with the Super Champ XD (2 channel, 15 watt)...
no worries

do those 2 sound a lot different to each other? Can the super champ be played quietly too? The extra power would be useful for jamming, but ideally i need a good bedroom tone for uni
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
no worries

do those 2 sound a lot different to each other? Can the super champ be played quietly too? The extra power would be useful for jamming, but ideally i need a good bedroom tone for uni

the vibro champ actually is part tube, part modelling amp, it has 16 different voicings, from a clean ass fender twin to a bad ass heavy stack.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
cheers, do you reckong with the right pedals it could do GnR well?

If the plexi amp model sounds convincing then i could maybe boost it with a little dirt with the SD-1 to get an appetite tone? What do you reckon? I can find a stockist of these near me to try. I could try the Super Champ XD but it might be a little loud
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
cheers, do you reckong with the right pedals it could do GnR well?

If the plexi amp model sounds convincing then i could maybe boost it with a little dirt with the SD-1 to get an appetite tone? What do you reckon? I can find a stockist of these near me to try. I could try the Super Champ XD but it might be a little loud

like i said, it's a modelling amp. almost no pedals are needed, if you can switch the channels by hand. the effects are pretty good, too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
awesome i might well get one of these, thanks

i will have to see whether it can cope with GnR on its own mind, but with the 16 voicings im covered for most of the other stuff i play
Being that it has modeling I would think setting it to a plexi or british stack setting should get you close to gnr.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
hopefuly i reckon if the plexi isnt quite there, a lil boost and grit from my sd-1 should do the trick. I have read that it does respond like a valve amp with ODs, so i think i may get one. I need to find a stockist though!!!
I would suggest a TS copy of some sort over a boss. Boss makes some decent effects but I don't like their ods. Definitely try before you buy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Trying before buying is easier said than done where im from!!

I think i could try super champ XD. would I still be able to play that as quiet as the Vibro and it sound good? And I already have the SD-1 so id rather not spend anything! Ill see how it sounds, you may be right!!!
the super champ is 15 watts, but keep in mind, 15 tube watts is louder then 15 SS watts.
if you plan to jam with some other people, get the Super, if not, get the Vibro. but even the vibro can get lous enough for some band situations.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Stop.

It is a modeler with power tubes.

All the tones come from a dsp, even the clean channel (talking about super champ xd). It sounds good, but it is not tube, so if you want a tube amp buy a blackheart or epi vj.

Superchamp does still sound good on low volumes, at least to me, and I've never tried a vibrochamp, but for another 50 bucks It's worth it for the 15 watts and 2 channels.

I have the superchamp xd at college, and it's not too loud. It can handle gnr pretty well, you won't need a distortion, overdrive pedals work fine with it.

Please don't post incorrect information people
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by pak1351
Stop.

It is a modeler with power tubes.

All the tones come from a dsp, even the clean channel (talking about super champ xd). It sounds good, but it is not tube, so if you want a tube amp buy a blackheart or epi vj.

Superchamp does still sound good on low volumes, at least to me, and I've never tried a vibrochamp, but for another 50 bucks It's worth it for the 15 watts and 2 channels.

I have the superchamp xd at college, and it's not too loud. It can handle gnr pretty well, you won't need a distortion, overdrive pedals work fine with it.

Thanks very much for your post Im not bothered about having valve as long as it sounds good. Do you reckon the super champ can sound good at tv levels then? If so then i dont see why i wouldnt spend more on the super champ XD, it seems worth it
yeah, i can get decent tones out of it at very low levels. It does sound better as you turn it up and get some power tube saturation, but i still like it at low levels. Sounds good at tv levels, better at louder volumes, but what doesn't? The plexi setting gets pretty good classic rock tones. the effects are ok, I don't really use many of them besides reverb.

Basically a good practice amp, best one I tried for under 300 USD for low volume practicing.

Hope that helps
Thanks

Unfortunately I went to the shop today to try it and they dont have it and wont be getting it back... I dont dare order something blindly without having tried it, im sick of ebaying stuff!

Dont know what to do the youtube clips are nice but not really good enough to tell if its for me...
These amp's may be be digital modellers, but they are still all tube - the DSP is connected to the pre-amp tube etc...

slashs_#1_fan - ive still not tried one, hoping to on the weekend. also looking at the tech21 trademark.
nowhere within 50 miles of me stocks one, i have no way of trying it im desperate to give it a go

how much is the tech 21 trademark?
Quote by pak1351

Try following your own advice!!!....

Yes it's a modeller, but it still has pre-amp and power amp tubes (12ax7 & 6L6's) so it's all tube, other wise it would be a hybrid amp...
wow i just checked that out, i didnt know it existed! Ill have to give that a ponder, it looks great! you had any experience with it?
only heard sound clips....like you i have no good shops near me to trying before i but is not possible...

the 'california' pedal sounds fantastic too...
i had an AMT distortion station which i think was a copy of the gt2 (same controls and stuff) and they sound good. Cant find many clips or a shop that stocks them though...

When the saying 'its grim up north' came about, i think they were referring to the guitar shops in the teesside area!
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
doesnt matter what they are to me as long as they sound good

you used one mitchell??

Yep, I played a Vibro with a Fender MIA Tele a while back, and it sounded pretty damn fine.
Can anyone answer this question?

Do the vibro champ xd and super champ xd sound the same? Do the 16 amp voicings sound exactly the same on both amps? Is the only difference the extra channel and bigger speaker and more wattage?

Is there any sound difference at all? Why are they called different things, were original super champs just higher wattage vibro champs back in the day or something?

I saw a video I really liked of the Vibro Champ but prefer the idea of the extra footswitchable channel...
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
Can anyone answer this question?

Do the vibro champ xd and super champ xd sound the same? Do the 16 amp voicings sound exactly the same on both amps? Is the only difference the extra channel and bigger speaker and more wattage?

Is there any sound difference at all? Why are they called different things, were original super champs just higher wattage vibro champs back in the day or something?

I saw a video I really liked of the Vibro Champ but prefer the idea of the extra footswitchable channel...

the main difference betweent he Vibro and Super champs are the wattage. the other big difference is the option of channel switching on the Super.

the voicings should be about the same on both amps, if my memory should recall. i tried em both out and you could get the same tones from the super as you could the vibro, only louder.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by fergus74
Try following your own advice!!!....

Yes it's a modeller, but it still has pre-amp and power amp tubes (12ax7 & 6L6's) so it's all tube, other wise it would be a hybrid amp...

You're wrong. The 12ax7 is a preamp tube, but in this case it's used as a phase inverter. There's tons of info out there on the circuitry, which is easy to find if you look on the fender.com forums, and the guy that came up with all those mods for the epi vj also posted stuff, i think it was on harmony central.

It's a modeling amp with power tubes. Solid state preamp. Email fender and ask them if you don't believe me.

It's like an ad30vt with power tubes. It is a hybrid, but it has power tubes. There is no all tube signal path. Research before you post
Quote by pak1351
You're wrong. The 12ax7 is a preamp tube, but in this case it's used as a phase inverter. There's tons of info out there on the circuitry, which is easy to find if you look on the fender.com forums, and the guy that came up with all those mods for the epi vj also posted stuff, i think it was on harmony central.

It's a modeling amp with power tubes. Solid state preamp. Email fender and ask them if you don't believe me.

It's like an ad30vt with power tubes. It is a hybrid, but it has power tubes. There is no all tube signal path. Research before you post

+1...uumm yeah.. +1000
Page 1 of 2