hey bass player homies. I have a general problem with 90% of guitar and bass tones i hear, i have a very specific sound in my head but have not been able to find it in real life. kind of a punchy throaty growl.... you know the kind that turns your brain to ****? its hard to describe sounds like this.

ive tried a few ampegs, hartkes, a roland, peavey, and various cheaper amps. the peavey was pretty good, then i tried an SWR 350 which i considered to have a "good" sound, but still somewhat dissatisfying to me. it didnt click in my head and give me inspiration like i get when i hear really amazing tone.

now im a man of extremes, i play deafeningly and bone crushingly loud most of the time, but i dont want to rattle the local music stores and get kicked out for deafening the managers or whatever. could it be the problem that i am not cranking these amps loud enough?

so basically i want to know what is your idea of the absolute holy grail of godly amazing tone. does not really matter how expensive. i am apparently an expensive and difficult person since these $1000 amps like ampegs are quite boring to me.
what would you reccommend?

my other question is, since i really like the new american standard jazz bass, can you get that kind of tone out of a stingray? (ive heard they are versatile)

what would you reccomend for someone who is dissatisfied with the best tones out there? what is your idea of the best sound?

thanks
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
musicman bongo can create almost any tone (bassguitar)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Maybe take a look at Eden or Trace Elliot, Mesa Boogie, stuff like that. If you really wanna spend money, Phil Jones or the Warwick Helborg system.

As far as the bass question - no. The Jazz Bass's sound comes from the positioning of two single coil pickups, whereas the Stingray has the singlehumbucker. You can't get a similar tone, I feel.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Gallien Kruger (sp?) make very good amps (Duff Mckagan used one) which have a very nice distortion channel, also an Ashdown (Mag or other) can sound very good with an Overdrive pedal, it's what I do and I get one hell of a sound IMO. Also have a gander at some Trace Elliots.
okay looks like im going to have to go to the far away big music store . . . does everyone agree that a musicman bongo (five string?) would be pretty much a versatile bass with awesome tone?

ashdown MAGs seem to be acclaimed here so i will see if i can try one out. the only words i can think of for the tone im looking for would be "out of control" .... ive never seen a GK in any local stores unfortunately but ive heard they are probably what i want.
hartke and ampeg are too "smooth" IMO.... whatever im looking for has to be an absolute beast.

so... bongo? or should i keep my cheap peavey and see if i can get a really good amp?
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

Quote by mosh_face
okay looks like im going to have to go to the far away big music store . . . does everyone agree that a musicman bongo (five string?) would be pretty much a versatile bass with awesome tone?

ashdown MAGs seem to be acclaimed here so i will see if i can try one out. the only words i can think of for the tone im looking for would be "out of control" .... ive never seen a GK in any local stores unfortunately but ive heard they are probably what i want.
hartke and ampeg are too "smooth" IMO.... whatever im looking for has to be an absolute beast.

so... bongo? or should i keep my cheap peavey and see if i can get a really good amp?

I'd say get a new amp first and then look into basses.
Quote by mosh_face

bongo with the ashdown would own!

Bongo with mesaboogie is what myung uses
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by IndianRockStar
If you want growl, Warwick should be on your list somewhere. They are known for their distinctive growl.

This. I run mine with a very slight overdrive, and I managed to get the growl I had been searching for.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
awesome, ill give the warwicks a try. im trying to get some good stuff together to leave at home, and then bring my crappy gear to school where nothing is safe from the fools.

i really like my sound to be quite bassy, i always seem to be eq'ing everything with the bass really high, should i be mostly looking at 15' or 18' speakers? or will the smaller kinds be okay as well?
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude

Quote by mosh_face
awesome, ill give the warwicks a try. im trying to get some good stuff together to leave at home, and then bring my crappy gear to school where nothing is safe from the fools.

i really like my sound to be quite bassy, i always seem to be eq'ing everything with the bass really high, should i be mostly looking at 15' or 18' speakers? or will the smaller kinds be okay as well?

Well for the kind of tone you want you have to COMBINE 15s or 18s with 12s or 10s. I'm not very knowledgeable on this area, so I'll leave it at that.
hm okay good stuff i think i can afford either a new amp or a new bass right now, so ill probably go for the amp considering my bass is decent and my amp is a pile of dookie

/thread probably im tired of checking it
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude

Quote by Neo Evil11
bongo with the ashdown would own!

Bongo with mesaboogie is what myung uses

He actually uses a whole lot of ashdown preamps/poweramps with some demeter ones thrown in.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by mosh_face
i have a very specific sound in my head but have not been able to find it in real life. kind of a punchy throaty growl.... you know the kind that turns your brain to ****? its hard to describe sounds like this.

Sounds like you're describing a Rickenbacker.