Im looking at getting a new amp and the one im going to get comes in both combo and amp+cab. Whats the difference? There both 5 watts, both have the same tone controls and both are tube... I dont see any difference

if you get head+cab you can have more speakers...
5 watt combo is probably 1x10...with head+cab you can probably have twice 4x12 cabs...
so yeah..more headroom
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I don't know the difference but if it's only 5 watts then i'd go for the combo, more convinient.
Quote by aaciseric
I don't know the difference but if it's only 5 watts then i'd go for the combo, more convinient.

I would rather go with the head+cab because i can hook it up to a larger cab if i want.
Quote by Final !mpact
I would rather go with the head+cab because i can hook it up to a larger cab if i want.

Fair enough, have fun with it then.
Quote by Final !mpact

Go with the combo, adding a larger cab won't make the head louder.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Go with the combo, adding a larger cab won't make the head louder.

So a small cab will give me the same volume as three marshall cabs?

it wont be that much louder with more speakers probably, but it may have a slight spike in percieved volumes, due to more air being pushed.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
it wont be that much louder with more speakers probably, but it may have a slight spike in percieved volumes, due to more air being pushed.

Well the amp+cab combo isnt that much more expensive and i dont much like combos. Besides it also means if i get another head later on i dont need to buy a cab.
as long as the ohms and stuff match.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by Final !mpact
So a small cab will give me the same volume as three marshall cabs?

Pretty much, yes.

A 5 watt head wouldn't be able to power 3 cabs, the rating of a speaker cab indicates how much power it can handle, likewise the rating of an amp is how much power it can produce.

Adding more speakers doesn't increase the power, it just spreads it around. If you had a 4 x 12 100 watt cab and a 5 watt amp you wouldn't have 100 watts, you'd have 4 speakers each putting out 1.25 watts. It's like a jug...if you have 1 litre of water and pour it into a 5 litre jug you've still only got 1 litre of water. Get the combo, there's no point worrying about cabs and stuff given your limited budget so it makes sense to get the simpler package. You could only re-use the cab if you bought a similar low wattage amp and somehow I doubt that's going to be the case.

Remember, there's NO difference betwwen the two, it's just that the combo is in one bit and the other is in two, and that goes for all amps....saying you "don't like combos" is just kind of childish really, an amp is an amp, tho only thing that matters is how it sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Pretty much, yes.

A 5 watt head wouldn't be able to power 3 cabs, the rating of a speaker cab indicates how much power it can handle, likewise the rating of an amp is how much power it can produce.

Adding more speakers doesn't increase the power, it just spreads it around. If you had a 4 x 12 100 watt cab and a 5 watt amp you wouldn't have 100 watts, you'd have 4 speakers each putting out 1.25 watts. It's like a jug...if you have 1 litre of water and pour it into a 5 litre jug you've still only got 1 litre of water. Get the combo, there's no point worrying about cabs and stuff given your limited budget so it makes sense to get the simpler package. You could only re-use the cab if you bought a similar low wattage amp and somehow I doubt that's going to be the case.

Remember, there's NO difference betwwen the two, it's just that the combo is in one bit and the other is in two, and that goes for all amps....saying you "don't like combos" is just kind of childish really, an amp is an amp, tho only thing that matters is how it sounds.

Ok thanks... I guess. Il look at the combo then *grumble*

Oh and about the volume... Suppose i mic it up to a PA if i were to play a gig?

Also it's not that I don't like combos its just that there's something more appealing about a head+cab to me.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Aug 30, 2008,
Nicely said Mr. Seagull
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by Final !mpact
Ok thanks... I guess. Suppose i mic it up if i were to play a gig?

Oh and it's not that I don't like combos its just that there's something more appealing about a head+cab to me.

Yeah I've been there too. You really don't need a Stack though. Trust me.
Quote by Final !mpact
Ok thanks... I guess. Il look at the combo then *grumble*

Oh and about the volume... Suppose i mic it up to a PA if i were to play a gig?

Also it's not that I don't like combos its just that there's something more appealing about a head+cab to me.

If there's a PA then you can mic it up and it'll go as loud as you want, people do stadium gigs with mic'd low wattage amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
If there's a PA then you can mic it up and it'll go as loud as you want, people do stadium gigs with mic'd low wattage amps.

Sweet.
I thought that every speaker you add is +2 or +3dB, which does make a 412 9dB louder than the 112.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by ShredGod George
whats the amp in question?

Black heart 15w handsome devil.