Page 1 of 5
It's approaching 7 years since the tragic events of September the 11th of 2001 took place in New York and Washington. Immediately after these events an atmosphere was created in the media, which did not lend itself to an analysis of what actually happened and why. Asking the "why?" question was particularly looked upon with scorn, and singled you immediately out as "anti-american". You were supposed to accept that the people who planned the attack were simply "evil", crazy and driven only by hate.

Can we now, after almost 7 years look back on these events and see them in a more objective light? The people who perpetrated these acts were clearly "evil" (in the sense that they wanted to kill and hurt others), they were also crazy (because they wanted to kill themselves), but what motives did they have for what they did? Why did they choose to target symbols of American finance (WTC), military (Pentagon) and power (White House)?

Any ideas?
There are no evil people. It was what they believed to be justice.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
the americans bombed the middle east and stuff so the alqueida crew blew the **** out of the twin towers
a very brief explanation
SLAP
Probably because they interpret the Qurran to tell that that the western world is in league with Satan? Or that any non-muslims should be murdered for not believing in Allah?

The guy above is an idiot, don't listen to his incorrect explanation.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
How do you physically attack religion?
Unless Saddam is secretly building weapons of mass destruction in heaven....
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
People believed so strongly in their religion that they killed themselves and thousands of other people for their god. Obviously though the deeds that they did were evil.
Quote by rickmeister
There are no evil people. It was what they believed to be justice.

+1

To us, they're evil. To them, we're evil. How can we really say who's beliefs are right, and who's beliefs are wrong apart from personal biases?
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Because they knew the effect it would have on America and the westeren world in general. In psychological warfare, its not how many you kill, it's the impact it has on the survivors, even the impact on the victims in the time before they die. This big, powerful nation, where everyone thinks they are the best in the world, was succesful attacked and shaken to the corre by some comparitvly small group of terrorists, and no-one wanted to ackknowledge the fact, they just felt the need to strike back. The reason we never questioned it was because we didn't want to, at least thats what I think.

Edit:
sorry, I kinda missinterpeted the question.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Last edited by sg255 at Aug 30, 2008,
The people behind it wanted power and didn't like America (with which I already excluded 9% of the rest of the world), and the ppl who actually hijacked the plane were driven mad by religion. Don't blaim those religions though. Blaim the people who misinterpret them, give thousands of people the wrong information about what they believe in and want to use isolated verses from thousand year old books to get what they want from believers.
zeitgeistmovie.com

(watch part 2)

(..and then the whole thing)

:-)
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Last edited by highwaysalmon at Aug 30, 2008,
There's no easy answer to this, politics is a dangerous thing. There's a lot more to it, but in short Al Qaeda did it as a revenge attack to everything the US government stands for.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by highwaysalmon
zeitgiestmovie.com

(watch part 2)

(..and then the whole thing)

(It'll change the way you look at the world)

No, it doesn't. And it's "zeitgeist".
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by rickmeister
How do you physically attack religion?
Unless Saddam is secretly building weapons of mass destruction in heaven....

No, I'm sure it's just a chocolate chip factory.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
'Cos Stan dropped a dook in the urinal
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
It's approaching 7 years since the tragic events of September the 11th of 2001 took place in New York and Washington. Immediately after these events an atmosphere was created in the media, which did not lend itself to an analysis of what actually happened and why. Asking the "why?" question was particularly looked upon with scorn, and singled you immediately out as "anti-american". You were supposed to accept that the people who planned the attack were simply "evil", crazy and driven only by hate.

Can we now, after almost 7 years look back on these events and see them in a more objective light? The people who perpetrated these acts were clearly "evil" (in the sense that they wanted to kill and hurt others), they were also crazy (because they wanted to kill themselves), but what motives did they have for what they did? Why did they choose to target symbols of American finance (WTC), military (Pentagon) and power (White House)?

Any ideas?

You call yourself English?

Perhaps you could give our language some respect and call it 11/9.
Quote by Mlrc
+1

To us, they're evil. To them, we're evil. How can we really say who's beliefs are right, and who's beliefs are wrong apart from personal biases?

So you're saying that if I decide to write a book that sais it's ok to kill everybody you want to kill without any reason, and say that it's a part of my religion, that you'd allow me to? (before I kill you ofc). I'm not speaking any bad about existing religions, but I AM saying that you should think about the content of a religion before going on blind faith.
There were many, many fundamental causes of 9/11, and many more complex things that branch of those. We'd never be able to fully get into it here.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by markodeano1

Shut the **** up

It's called 9/11
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Base Ics
So you're saying that if I decide to write a book that sais it's ok to kill everybody you want to kill without any reason, and say that it's a part of my religion, that you'd allow me to? (before I kill you ofc). I'm not speaking any bad about existing religions, but I AM saying that you should think about the content of a religion before going on blind faith.

I'm just saying that in their minds, what they did was right. There a difference between making a religion on a whim so you can kill whomever you please, and following a religion that has actually worked for, well, longer then Christianity.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Base Ics

Islam is a religion of peace. A few misguided fundamentalists doesn't represent the entire religion or it's content
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by markodeano1

What does that have to do with language? I didn't know a date format had anything to do with the English Language...excuse me if I'm mistaken. I'm sorry I disrespected the entire language by calling a historical event by it's proper name. Oh, the pain it must have caused you.

Now, every one stay on topic.
Quote by Mlrc
I'm just saying that in their minds, what they did was right. There a difference between making a religion on a whim so you can kill whomever you please, and following a religion that has actually worked for, well, longer then Christianity.

You do realize that Christianity is about 600 years older than Islam, right?

Just because someone thinks what they are doing is just or righteous doesn't mean it's ok (I'm sure GW thought he was just and righteous, and I highly doubt I'd see you defend him) The fact of the matter is these people are scum, and they are so twisted by their religion, which doesn't not even go in accordance with true Muslim faith, that they would blow up a nursery and say it was just.
Quote by flipthatchicken
This.
Religion has caused more deaths than anything evaaar.

Greed has caused a lot more problems than religion.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
'Man, I really want to fly a plane on day, Achmed!'
'Me too, Mossef! Let's ask these nice American people if we can fly over New York!'
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
I don't think religion has much to do with anything regarding 9/11.

Bin Laden was upset at continued US presence in the middle east, particulary in Saudi Arabia which allowed US to set up troops there to fight in the Persian Gulf War. Afterward they refused to remove their troops. Gradually Bin Laden began to perceive more of a western imposition in middle eastern countries and eventually made the decision to go to war with the US. However, there's no way that a war could be won on US soil and so he attacked the US because he knew they would only have one recourse (they would perceive it as a clear act of war and invade the middle east). The plan was to lead the US troups into the mountains in Afghanistan where they could lead a long, drawn out war that would slowly bleed the US economy dry just like they did to the USSR in the 80's. Of course he underestimated the US military and they pretty much kicked ass in Afghanistan. Until, of course, the US decided to invade Iraq which pretty much handed Bin Laden everything he possibly could have hoped for and then some.
They did what they think was right??? lol That's it? Killing thousands of fellow Americans for no reason, with no warning, innocent, harmless civilians... WAS RIGHT? To them?

I could tell you what I think is right for them. But i'd probably be banned from the site. Religion doesn't justify stupid actions and innocent deaths.

Terrorists beware, we're still comin'
Because people are assholes.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by ocelott
They did what they think was right??? lol That's it? Killing thousands of fellow Americans for no reason, with no warning, innocent, harmless civilians... WAS RIGHT? To them?

Yes in actual fact, it's their beliefs. Even though it may sound psychotic, evil and whatever but to them it's a good thing and will land them a place in 'paradise'
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
^I know what their religion is and what it consists of... I had to learn all about our "great cultural differences"

No, it doesn't sound evil, scary... it sounds out of this world... retarded.
Misguided religious indoctrination, hating America for being shit stirrers in the middle east.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I personally blame Canada for the matter.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by garett
I don't think religion has much to do with anything regarding 9/11.

Bin Laden was upset at continued US presence in the middle east, particulary in Saudi Arabia which allowed US to set up troops there to fight in the Persian Gulf War. Afterward they refused to remove their troops. Gradually Bin Laden began to perceive more of a western imposition in middle eastern countries and eventually made the decision to go to war with the US. However, there's no way that a war could be won on US soil and so he attacked the US because he knew they would only have one recourse (they would perceive it as a clear act of war and invade the middle east). The plan was to lead the US troups into the mountains in Afghanistan where they could lead a long, drawn out war that would slowly bleed the US economy dry just like they did to the USSR in the 80's. Of course he underestimated the US military and they pretty much kicked ass in Afghanistan. Until, of course, the US decided to invade Iraq which pretty much handed Bin Laden everything he possibly could have hoped for and then some.

You are an idiot if you think it isn't to do with religion

It was an act of Islamic Jihad
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.
You are an idiot if you think it isn't to do with religion

It was an act of Islamic Jihad

You are a fail if you think those terrorists are Muslims.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by lylewithans182
You do realize that Christianity is about 600 years older than Islam, right?

Just because someone thinks what they are doing is just or righteous doesn't mean it's ok (I'm sure GW thought he was just and righteous, and I highly doubt I'd see you defend him) The fact of the matter is these people are scum, and they are so twisted by their religion, which doesn't not even go in accordance with true Muslim faith, that they would blow up a nursery and say it was just.

You and the poster who questioned what I said before you are misconstruing what I said, and forcing me to take up a position to defend them, which I really don't want to do. I had friends die in the attacks on the towers, and you think I'm trying to defend them? I'm just answering the TS's question, which was "Why did it happen?", was it not? And I gave a reason why it happened. Because, in their minds, what they did was the right thing to do. That's why it happened.

And you're taking what I said out of context. If you actually read through the thread, you'd realize that someone had asked that if they decided to create a religion just so they could kill people, would it be right? And I was explaining the difference of creating a religion just to kill and a religion that's been around for thousands of years, and is for the most part peaceful, but had followers with some different ideas of how the religion was to be followed. But yes, Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity. My mistake.

So, to finish, yeah, mah bad for answering the question the TS put out for us to answer.
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
Last edited by Mlrc at Aug 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 5