So , ive been thinking about starting mandolin. It looks pretty interesting , in that "hybrid between a 12 string and a violin" kind of way. ive playing one at the local guitar shop , but since i dont know a single chord or riff , or how its tuned for that matter , im absolutely useless on one. a friend reccomended lessons , but i personally prefer learning myself.

so , does anybody know any chords or good songs to learn and whatnot?

i intend to by one soon
There was a recent Paul McCartney song that was on mandolin. Dont remember what it was called, but the video had him in his house with alot of ghosts. I think i saw the chords on mando for it somewhere, and they were simple.
I think they are tuned

EADG

Same as bass or bottom strings of a guitar. The second set of strings is similair to a 12-string guitar, i believe.
Quote by SeanNapier
So , ive been thinking about starting mandolin. It looks pretty interesting , in that "hybrid between a 12 string and a violin" kind of way. ive playing one at the local guitar shop , but since i dont know a single chord or riff , or how its tuned for that matter , im absolutely useless on one. a friend reccomended lessons , but i personally prefer learning myself.

so , does anybody know any chords or good songs to learn and whatnot?

i intend to by one soon

If your guitar technique is much good, you should be fine as self taught. The chords are like 'upside down' guitar chords (on 4 strings).

so like guitar

mando

I THINK?????

play "battle of evermore" if you like LOTR phase Led Zep :P