I love the sound of this chord in Taxman and Purple Haze. I understand that it occurs naturally with the octatonic scale, but are all songs that use this written with that scale? Could it be possible to use a standard key and have the 7 #9 sound good? I think its a result of the major and minor third together, so would it be dissonant or what?
You can use that chord as the dominant chord. Since dominant chords are unstable, you can add the alterations and still use them as a dominant chord. So in a blues context, you might use that chord as part of your turn around because all the extra tension resolves strongly to the root. In a jazz context, you might want to make a II V I more interesting so rather than using the usual dominant chord you'd use that.
Thanks for the help. So the #9 is just an extra, non-diatonic tone that sounds good and has nothing to do with the key of the song?
Kirk Hammett does it in his solo performances, he uses it right before some Am pentatonic buffoonery.
Last edited by farcry at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by matthewt
Thanks for the help. So the #9 is just an extra, non-diatonic tone that sounds good and has nothing to do with the key of the song?
Yep. What confusius say is wise.

Also I wouldnt use an octatonic scale over a #9 chord, I'd use a superlocrian (otherwise known as the altered dominant) scale with an added perfect fifth and I would also occasionally use a major sixth and a major seventh (but only as a passing tone) over that chord. You have alot of options over altered dominant chords.
But that's not altered dominant. Altered dominant must have the b5/#5. So you're better off using the chord tones with the added alteration or mixolydian #9.

EDIT: ehh, or simply use the A minor pent like you would if it were a blues in A with this chord being the V(E).
Last edited by confusius at Aug 31, 2008,
No no. I mean that for it to be an altered dominant chord it must have the b5/#5 interval. I don't care if it's in scale or not, this is just pissy nomenclature!