I guess I play guitars so much that I end up getting a ton of dirt and grease on my string and fretboard. I need ways to clean this up without buying new strings; I used a moist rag on them and it worked fine, but I'm scarred this will hurt my guitar. so, any tips?
Actually, that's perfectly fine. I do it all the time, and it doesn't seem to harm the strings or the guitar.
What I do is just buy string conditioner and apply it and wipe it off after every time I play. It keeps the strings fresher longer, and also helps avoid the buildup of dirt and **** on the strings. As for a dirty fretboard, all you can really do is take our strings off if you really want to get in there and clean it good. If you have a rosewood/ebony neck, it is good to apply some lem-oil (lemon oil) to it every once and awhile. I do it about every 4-5 months. keeps the fretboard from drying out and cracking.
Gear

Gibson Shred-X Explorer
Epiphone Negative Explorer w/ EMG 80/60
ESP LTD EC QM200
Ibanez RG321 w/ EMG 81/60

Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Slant cab

http://www.delusionsof.com
Ernie Ball has some good cleaning/conditioning wipes which work pretty well. Make sure you get the underside of the strings as well, theres lots of gunk there.
What you're doing now is just fine. I use a product called Finger-ease. It's a string lubricant that reduces string noise, helps build callouses, and cleans the strings.

EDIT:
Quote by hippieboy444
could I use a rag with some lemon oil on it for my neck and strings?

I wouldnt use lemon oil to clean it. Too much lemon oil is bad for your fretboard. You should only be using lemon oil maybe once every half a year.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If you want to clean your strings to the point they're just like new, there's two things you can do:

1.) Boil your strings. But make sure you never use the pot you boil them in for cooking again. Ever. After you boil them for a bit, dry them off with cloth and hang 'em out to dry.

2.) Soaking strings in denatured alcohol also gets rid of the gunk. Put the strings in it for a day, and then dry 'em off.