Wasp stings are dangerous.
32 12%
A bit of both.
73 28%
I'm the wasp that stung you. >:[
86 33%
Voters: 258.
Page 1 of 4
So I just got stung by a wasp, and it like.. wasn't that bad.

Every summer you get the hordes of people screaming and waving their arms around, running away from these tiny insects, and I think it's this which gives us all the impression that wasp stings are terrible. There's this huge fuss around it, preventative measures, procedures and protocols to follow in the event of being stung- Put toothpaste on it! No! use bicarbonate of soda! Rub yoghurt on it! Suck out the venom!

So I furthered my investigation, and was lead into the realm of iconography and art being the root of this fear of wasps. Google images didn't disappoint to bring me pictures to illustrate this.

Look at him. What a cunt.

Him too.

But once we break away from the typical portrayal of the wasp, it starts to look like fear of wasps is simply something that is derived from, like I said, iconography, and the actual physical appearance of the insect. Check out this guy.

The next bit of proof that it's just psychological is that people stung by wasps who have an allergic reaction only find themselves in trouble because of the shock. The fact is, the chemical that makes up most of the cocktail that is the wasp venom is actually a key ingredient in most breakfast cereals.

Now I'm not in the least bit scared. And you shouldn't be either- because if I've proven anything today, it's that wasps are harmless. This is a scientific fact- 0% of the wasps stings I received put me in anything more than a small amount of momentary discomfort. And the moral of this thread is that you should get out there, and get stung by wasps. Maybe it can finally break down our prejudices, and this unnecessary fear that we, as a people, have.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
When I got stung I expected much worse pain simply because of the way I've seen people react, but when it happened to me i was like "....this is it?"

I was disappointed to be quite honest with you.
Some people are allergic. Some people are just really afraid cos they've never been stung but they've been told it hurts.

I catch wasps in a cup and send them out the window.

EDIT: also, the third one is not a wasp, but a bee.
people are pussies

ive been stung before and its annoying as **** but its not like having your lower half chomped off by a shark or anything

i can see bee stings being ****ed up though, cuz the stinger is bigger and stays in you

EDIT: i wouldnt want one of these biting me though, we call them pine beetles but apparently that is not their name :|

they as long as your hand with antennas included :|

Last edited by Tedward at Aug 30, 2008,
Overrated?

Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
It doesn't hurt that bad, but I'd rather not have a little bump on my arm that hurts when you touch it.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Wasp bites feel like getting burnt by a cigarette.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Never been stung

Yet...
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
People are so scared of wasps and they are fannies. It's ridiculous, yesterday 2 of my friends went crazy when a wasp came and they ran about 50 metres and I just batted it away like a badass and it left.

I'm with you on this.

DON'T FEAR THE WASPS.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
People are so scared of wasps and they are fannies. It's ridiculous, yesterday 2 of my friends went crazy when a wasp came and they ran about 50 metres and I just batted it away like a badass and it left.

I'm with you on this.

DON'T FEAR THE WASPS.

Is chasing a wasp away considered badass nowadays?

I need to follow the times.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I only have a phobia of them because when I was 3 I got stung in the mouth by one but I'm slowly getting use to them... slowly but I do freak out sometimes.

Also when I was in Preston I went to a pub with my aunty and uncle who live there and there was a man who went around putting waps into his beer and then drinking it...
My grandparents are apiculturists, used to work for them for a while. It is quite amazing how harmless bees are, I mean, I only got stung max. twice a day. Wasps, however, are more agressive and it itches like hell for hours after they sting. The initial pain is overrated, though.
Hornets hurt like a bitch, though. I imagine that's what getting stabbed feels like.
Quote by jetfuel495

...holy **** the biggest ****ing golf cart ever just rolled past my backyard... i **** u not
I used to hit bees and wasps with sticks when I was a kid and mess with their hives and I never got stung...
the fact that theyre venom is used in cereal makes no sense. its a VENOM, so its absolutely harmless to eat where as gettin it in ur bloodstream is dangerous, particularly to people who are allergic. i agree that its not as bad as people say, but for people who are allergic it really can be deadly, so dont take it out on them and call them pussies
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by JeanMi36
Overrated?

I'm only really referring to wasps we get around here. Isn't that one of those Japanese Mountain Wasps?

And anyway, you think they get it bad, look at this photograph.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I think White Anglo Saxon Protestants are a tad overrated
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Is chasing a wasp away considered badass nowadays?

I need to follow the times.

No they ran away from the wasp.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by sashki
EDIT: also, the third one is not a wasp, but a bee.

WHAT?

Google, you cunt!
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
being stung on your nose, ear, toes, or elbow is the only place it hurts.
oh and japanese hornets are all over the place in america.
I read this theory once that wasps are actually alien beings. I don't believe it but there was some pretty sound reasoning in it. They've remained identical for millions of years. They do this thing where they lay eggs inside caterpillars, and so the caterpillar doesn't know, the eggs are coated in stuff that genetically modifies the caterpillar's DNA so it doesn't realise it's got wasp eggs inside it. No other creature on Earth does anything like this. That extra-terrestrial signal that SETI picked up once originated at almost exactly the same time that wasps first appeared on Earth.

I've got a different theory though, after I got stung by one the other day that had flown out of a mouldy apple. The apple had started to ferment so it was full of cider. Wasps get drunk on the cider and are then prone to bouts of drunken violence. Therefore, I believe all wasps are Glaswegian.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
i got stung by a wasp in my sleep the other day, it really doesnt hurt. i fell back to sleep after a while, and the great thing is once its stung you its helpless hahah!!! i put it in the freezer.
when I was about 4 I went charging into this old shed knocked a ladder over, which in turn hit a hive. I was stung like 20 times on my face, neck, and upper extremities. THAT hurt like a bitch. and to this day...im not scared of them cause its just a !@#$%^ bug for christsake
Ibanez SAS36FM
VOX AD100VT
Barracuda Stratocaster
Kustom Solo16 amp
Vagabong 6-string Acoustic guitar
Yamaha 12 string Acoustic Guitar
I have allergic reactions when stung by them. I once got stung in my ear. That's right, not around, outside, next to, but in. It stung like a bitch. My ear went bright fucking red and swelled up for about a week. I couldn't sleep on my side because it was so large and uncomfortable. It was one of the only times I've actually started crying from pain since I was young. This happened a few years ago and ever since then I freeze when I see a wasp, it sucks donkey dick.
im allergic i guess because i got stung, it urt like **** and then my lip (were i was stung) swelled up so much that i couldnt talk for 3 days.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
I wish I still had pictures of my friends face swelling up after he got stung by one, it was some pretty funny ****, the area around his eyes swelled up so bad he couldn't see.
These particular wasps are called cicada killers. They are about as big as your thumb with stingers I've seen that were the size of pine needle tips. Combine that with all the venom and the simple shock factor of being stung by something THE SIZE OF YOU GODDAMN THUMB and I believe these are pretty dangerous. Oh yeah, and they're all over my neighborhood .

I have had allergic reactions to wasp stings on multiple occasions, but I still don't have much of an issue with them. All you have to do is ignore them and don't freak out. 9 times out of 10, you won't get stung.
EXPECTO PATRONUM!!!

Quote by Gunpowder
I know another racially insensitive scientific term. "Dark matter." Science, please! Dark people do matter!

Quote by InvaderTSN
What is this.....sarcasm? Some form of french toast?
Some people are deadly allergic. My mother being one. A simple bee sting can end her life if she's not given epinephrine immediately.

As I've never been stung I don't know if I'm allergic or not. I'd rather not find out.
It burns for a bit, but then it is fine. But still, just because they don't hurt much, it doesn't mean you want to be stung.

Nipping only hurts for a bit, but nobody likes being nipped!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Page 1 of 4