I want to strum without using a pick, but I find it difficult to strum upwards. Is there a technique to strum upwards using your fingers?
Pretty sure while playing acoustic without a pick, you don't flex your fingers at all, just let them go limp.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
use the back of your thumb
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Put your thumb and index finger together so that the insides of the fingers(where the finger print is) are touching. Downstrokes with index nail upstrokes with thumb.
or if your just strumming the whole time you can just use the side of your thumb, just go up and down....but i prefer the 2 fingers together thing myself.
u can do it in all difrnt ways, with ur thumb,, or ur whole hand loose, anyway that feels right to you...
i jst use a pick, struming jst fuks up the nails
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
I put my index and middle finger together side by side then put my thumb on the top of the index finger, where you put your finger to make a finger print, if that makes sense. :x
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I think it depends on what you want comming out of the guitar. Downstrokes, I use either the back of the nail of my little finger, for a very light touch, or for a bit heavier (or rythmic) I backward roll my fingers so the nails of each hits. For really heavy work , i use the whole hand held tight-ish, & strummed forcefully through the strings. For upstrokes I usually drag a finger of fingers up the strings for a more tinny sound i use the back of my thumb, for a fuller sound i hold the hand tight-ish & pull up through the string/s
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Search youtube for "rasgueado", you'll learn the upstroke and triplets.
Last edited by Minor Fingering at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by confusius
Put your thumb and index finger together so that the insides of the fingers(where the finger print is) are touching. Downstrokes with index nail upstrokes with thumb.

+1.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Downstrum with fingernail
Upstrum with thumb nail, you see how if you press the thumb and finger together you can up and downstrum. And if you're wanting to play in a proper acoustic style, when you master that seperate your thumb and fingers and use them limply, which allows you to play with more emotion or just simply allows you to get some better sounding rhythms going on rather than a fixed interval strum you would get with pressing the 2 together.
Im with Bonorly once you get a feel for the strings (where they are) you will be able to pluck whichever string you want, at will, which also lets you delay a string or strum or even part of a strum to give a more individual sound, & you can get a more emotive feeling to your sound.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!