Page 1 of 3
Ok, I was looking for an educated discussion, so the first place I thought of was The Pit. Do animals(i.e. cats, lizards, cows) understand music, or do they think it's just noise? Do they like certain genres over others? Discuss.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Well, my ex-boyfriend told me that when he plays Blues to his dad's cats they sit there and nod there heads slightly apparently.
--------
well the pit obviously likes music so i think that's answered your question.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I would think if something that sounds pleasant to their ears, they would understand that they like it. I don't think they get the concept of music, it's just a pretty noise to them.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
my goldfish was the one that taught me functional harmony
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by SlipknotRule93
well the pit obviously likes music so i think that's answered your question.

icwutudidthar.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
my rat will climb on my guitar when i play, and i used to have a cat that would bite my picking hand when i played
my hovercraft is full of eels
Quote by bean-o
my goldfish was the one that taught me functional harmony

You know who's got good ears? My dog. He was the guitar tech for Eric Johnson.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
my dogs mostly like my music cause they'll stay in the room, but if i put on underoath or something they start to go nuts and fight with eachother
Quote by SkyValley
Girls have boobs. I like boobs.

Epiphone Les Paul Silverburst Custom Edition
my dog stayed out of my room the entire time i was playing, but when i started playing back in black, she ran in, sat down and stared. so i guess she likes acdc.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
my cat loves music, but at times I think she's deaf (not just ignoring things, she really can't hear stuff sometimes), so it might be that she likes the vibrations of the sound waves. I always played my acoustic guitar around her when she was a kitten and she liked it, and she goes nuts over the electric guitar.
my dog loves metal, but can't stand techno
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by strat335
my cat loves music, but at times I think she's deaf (not just ignoring things, she really can't hear stuff sometimes), so it might be that she likes the vibrations of the sound waves. I always played my acoustic guitar around her when she was a kitten and she liked it, and she goes nuts over the electric guitar.

Cats can hear upto 52Khz. Thats about 1 and half octaves higher than humans can hear.
My golden retriever responds well to music... if my dad or I crank my music, she'll come and set her head right by the speaker and wag her tail
Quote by LazySandman
my dog loves metal, but can't stand techno

I'm just like your dog
my cat used to run up and down the piano/keyboard (on purpose i think, she seemed to know it annoyed us) and she doesnt really seem bothered sitting next to my amp.
||||
I think it depends on the specific animal, really. Some dogs will like music, some won't. Same for cats, birds, lizards, etc. I think it may have to do with whether or not they were raised around music. If you get a puppy right after it's born and play music around the house all the time, it might have a slight inclination to enjoy music more. Perhaps hearing music might remind it of its mother/owner, because you always had music on when you were with it.

This is all guess-work, BTW.
My dog is actually a big fan of the Allman Brothers Band. Every time she hears an Allman Brothers song, she goes up close to the source of the sound, and lies down. She doesn't like much else, except for Steely Dan and Primus.
Quote by slayaplaya
I'm just like your dog

no... people like my dog
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
We prefer to be called "furry people."
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Some bigger dogs seem to really hate the sound of harmonica playing, they'll start howling. But then, maybe they're singing along.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
My first cat used to sleep while i had Death Metal on, otherwise he would just leave.
My dog used to either sing or cry in pain when I would do pinch harmonics........When I would play blues though she would lay by me /shrug
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by Shard Prime
We prefer to be called "furry people."

You're a furry? Do you just roleplay, or actually believe you're a squirrel in a human body?
I'll take it a step further, not only do they enjoy music, but they have their own taste in it.

My old dog used to freak out whenever I had to take her anywhere in the car. Like massive panic attack/anxiety here. Having the radio would calm her down, but she'd still whine and yap constantly. Now, if a ZZ Top song were to come on the radio, she'd stop moving and stop yapping and just sit there calmly until it ended so the yapping would resume.

We actually decided to further test it out, I made a mixed CD, about 10 ZZTop songs and 10 random songs of various types. Sometimes we had 2 ZZTop in a row, sometimes 2 others in a row, sometimes alternating. Without fail, ZZTop completely calmed her down, while the other music only slightly helped and no music at all = full fledged freak out.

My current dog used to be extremely hyper ball of furry energy. Soft jazz tended to get him calmer faster than normal. Now that he's older he seems to have a thing for Stevie Ray Vaughan. He'll usually come in the room and lay on the couch beside my amp if I'm playing any. Oddly enough, if I'm playing my strat, and I'm not playing SRV, he'll usually leave the room. He almost always comes in when I play my 335 as well.

But to answer the real question music really is nothing more than noise. If we like it, it's a pleasant noise, if we don't then obviously it's unpleasant. Animals lack the language skills understand what it is, they can hear it and maybe they'll like it, maybe they won't, or maybe they just won't care.

Although I have seen my dog glance at me when I make any kind of really bad mistake, as if to say, what the hell are you doing?!

Edit: Actually I remember when I was a kid we had a dog that would howl when my dad played harmonica. Oddly enough he would howl in key.
Last edited by icronic at Aug 30, 2008,
some music willsound nice them, but others won't. they prolly don't 'understand' it in the way we do but they certainly notice it. One of my brothers cats goes nuts when you play loud drum n bass. I dunno about other genres though....
Page 1 of 3