Hey everyone,

Been a long time since i've taken a look at the forums, but I figured this is the place to go when I have a guitar/setup question.

Anyway, I have a Crate RFX120 and it is a great amp. However, it generates an awful hum when turned on. If I unplug the guitar cable from the amp, the speakers turn off and the hum is gone. If I plug in a guitar cable (with or without a guitar attached to the other end) the hum comes back. I've tried multiple guitar cables. Same thing.

A friend of mine told me to plug a guitar cable (with nothing plugged into the other end) into the "INSERT" effects loop on the back. If upon plugging in the cable, the buzz goes away, then it's a pre-amp problem.

Well the buzz DOES go away when I plug something into the effects loop channel.

I should also mention that this buzz occurs at any volume, on any channel, plugged into any electrical socket.

Anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate it,

Andrew
Last edited by ajcarson1 at Aug 30, 2008,
well I once had a problem with amp buzz, and it just turned out to be the room lights....if you really care for the amp get a noise gate.....and some amps just buzz (ala fender) you can try to fight it or accept it.
when playing live live i turn my amp up as loud as possible and it hums like a mofo especially with my strat, so i got a boss ns-2 that i turn on in between songs to save the audiences ears
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
when playing live live i turn my amp up as loud as possible and it hums like a mofo especially with my strat, so i got a boss ns-2 that i turn on in between songs to save the audiences ears

Right, good idea. I used to have one, but sold it.

Would I plug this NS-2 Noise Suppressor into the effects jack between the pre-amp and the postamp? That's where the buzz is.

Running high gain at loud volumes always causes hum, but that's not exactly my problem.

Thanks for the response though :-)
Andrew Carson- Subliminal Control