i usually play most metal on my schecter, mainly in drop c, but recently iv snapped a string and have not yet replaced it. so untill i get more strings i am playin my Epi les paul standard, but i feel it just isnt good enough for most metal. atm im mainly playin some of the easier stuff by Bullet For My Valentine.

i was wondering if theres any pickups i could put in that would help for playin this sort of stuff?

and i was also wondering if any other Epi LP owners feel the same?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Most people on here leave me under the impression that an EMG 81/85 set is the ultimate metal pup. i'm sure someone will tell you to use those.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
i kinda wanna put EMGs in my gibson les paul standard, but allso wanna have the stock ones xP but yeah, with EMGs or sum other more metal pups, i think u could get a good sounds out of that heavy body zakk wylde use 81/85s
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
i have a friend who plays metallica on a epi les paul with 12's and he swears by it

sounds fine to me
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
The pickups Epiphone guitars aren't really hot enough for metal playing, unless you use a high gain setting on your amp, and raise the pickups for more output. Anyways its best to change them and since you play Bullet for my Valentine, you should use Michael Padget's pickups, which include an EMG81 in the bridge position, and an 85 in the neck position. This setup is used by tons of players and should do you well.
Well, you're playing through some cheapo schecter designed pups on the schecter, which sound terrible. It may be that your ear is trained to them. But the Epi LP Pups arent the best either. I'd say to actually put some Seymour duncan Invader's in you schecter and use it for the heavy stuff. The pups in your Epi are probably better than the crappy ones in the schecter so change them first.

Also, I'd say if you go for Actives like the EMG's go for Seymour Duncan Blackouts instead. Alot of peopl swear by EMG's and I personally have the 81/85 and an 81/60 combo in 2 of my guitars. But the one with the 81/85, I'm planning on changing it for blackouts after my freind came over with his Schecter Blackjack with the Blackouts and played it. It was so much better than the EMG's. More high, more lows, the Harmonics where absolutely astounding. Plus it sounds a whole lot more like a real humbucker instead of a sterile active.

But on the other hand.... why don't you just change the string?
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Last edited by Dark_Raven10 at Aug 30, 2008,
get new pickups man those standard epi ones are good for rock but thats bout it
Dick+strings= owww
ah somethin i should prob add is that i love the tone from the neck pup, its mainly just the bridge i wanna change, i know you'll prob say that the way they look isnt important but i love the way the stock pups look, id love to have a good set that look the same as the stock 1s so i still keep the same look. of course for quality i may have to sacrifice that a bit lol

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
yeah y not just go buy some strings
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Well, you're playing through some cheapo schecter designed pups on the schecter, which sound terrible. It may be that your ear is trained to them. But the Epi LP Pups arent the best either. I'd say to actually put some Seymour duncan Invader's in you schecter and use it for the heavy stuff. The pups in your Epi are probably better than the crappy ones in the schecter so change them first.

Also, I'd say if you go for Actives like the EMG's go for Seymour Duncan Blackouts instead. Alot of peopl swear by EMG's and I personally have the 81/85 and an 81/60 combo in 2 of my guitars. But the one with the 81/85, I'm planning on changing it for blackouts after my freind came over with his Schecter Blackjack with the Blackouts and played it. It was so much better than the EMG's. More high, more lows, the Harmonics where absolutely astounding. Plus it sounds a whole lot more like a real humbucker instead of a sterile active.

But on the other hand.... why don't you just change the string?

haha yeah i was wantin to change those too, didnt know whether to change them first or not, but i do plan on changin both sets. and il get new strings when i can be arsed goin to edinburgh lol

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by sandman-105
yeah y not just go buy some strings

i think you're all misunderstanding a little, i am not replacing the pickups instead of replacing the strigs, i meant that not having the string made me play the les paul more n realise i dont like the pickups

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
I didnt realize you lived in scotland hahaha! here theres a music store like every 20 miles.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
I didnt realize you lived in scotland hahaha! here theres a music store like every 20 miles.

yeah ano, i stay 14 miles from Edinburgh, and they have 3 guitar shops.

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by craig_mccann
ah somethin i should prob add is that i love the tone from the neck pup, its mainly just the bridge i wanna change, i know you'll prob say that the way they look isnt important but i love the way the stock pups look, id love to have a good set that look the same as the stock 1s so i still keep the same look. of course for quality i may have to sacrifice that a bit lol

I guess you could get a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and get a cover for it.
ah yes i forgot bout gettin a cover, cheers. il look into seymour duncans then and my friend also recommended DiMarzio too. any ideas for my schecter?

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by craig_mccann
ah yes i forgot bout gettin a cover, cheers. il look into seymour duncans then and my friend also recommended DiMarzio too. any ideas for my schecter?

Blackouts or SD Invaders
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
If you don't have any tube amp to crank active pickup won't help much.
A Seymour Duncan JB should be able to do the job nicely enough.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by josh c
just replace the string

replacing the string will not change the tone of either of my guitars

and i actually like my Vox for now, eventually il replace it but not now, it is good enough for practise, and am prob never gonna gig, ignore the marshal please lol

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by craig_mccann at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I guess you could get a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and get a cover for it.

if you ask me, that's not really a metal pickup- i have one in my edwards les paul, and it doesn't really cut it for metal either. in my opinion.

i would get a new amp. i don't gig either, and my engl was one of my best guitar purchases ever.

if you do want to switch pickups, something like a bareknuckle miracle man would probably work well, to tighten things up a bit, but you have a lot of options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm getting used to playing metal on my Les Paul. The main problem is the thick neck. The sound is pretty much fine if you have the right amp.