Hi guys.

I'm getting a new amp, and I'm stuck between the Peavey 6505+ and the Engl Fireball.

I play metalcore/hardcore, and my main guitar is an LTD MH400 with EMG 81 + 85.

I want:

- A really raw heavy tone.
- Pure power.
- Good reliability.
- For it to be noticeable at live gigs, and to be easily heard against other amps / PA.

I have roughly 1000 quid to spend on the head.

Please, valid opinions, not merely slagging off other makes.

Other suggestions / reasons why are welcome.

Cheers guys

Tom
RIP Tom Searle.
Have you tried either of them?

If the answer is no, go do it and decide from that.

My opinion is for raw tone and power go for the 6505.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by haz_uk
if you go for the 6505, make sure you can crank it. it sounds like a fizzy mess at low volumes.

It would be for bedroom use, band practice and gigs.

Thats got me thinking. Would it be useless for my bedroom?

I'm a 16year old living with parents
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by haz_uk
if you go for the 6505, make sure you can crank it. it sounds like a fizzy mess at low volumes.

Good point. The Fireball should sound great at any volume. Every metalcore guitar player uses a 6505 these days, or so it seems.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
For bedroom use it isn't great. It's not bad, it's just not very good. But no one except you is gunna hear that, for gigs and practices it will sound sweet. And that's when it matters.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
It's not totally useless.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Hmm. it seems that they're both amazing amps, and both have pro's and con's.

Now I'm really stuck.
RIP Tom Searle.
Go try them out. And see which one you prefer. It's too much money to just buy off peoples advice.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
6505 beats fireball. massively.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by jambi_mantra
Go try them out. And see which one you prefer. It's too much money to just buy off peoples advice.

I need to find somewhere that stocks both, but I will try them.

I just wondered about other peoples opinions, because its always nice to have other opinions.
RIP Tom Searle.
ENGL completely destroys Peavey in terms of not having to crank it to get a good tone
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by MH400
I need to find somewhere that stocks both, but I will try them.

I just wondered about other peoples opinions, because its always nice to have other opinions.

Oh ok, sorry I thought you were one of these people that comes on, asks between 2 amps, and then buys the one that wins the poll.

Both will have their problems for low volume, but any high gain tube amp does, they're designed to be loud. Having played both there isn't a huge amount of difference, but yes the Fireball is probably better at low volumes.

Louder, I personally prefer the 6505 and think it would be better for you.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by kayman121
ENGL completely destroys Peavey in terms of not having to crank it to get a good tone

What are the tones like at high volume?

Similarities / differences?
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Oh ok, sorry I thought you were one of these people that comes on, asks between 2 amps, and then buys the one that wins the poll.

Both will have their problems for low volume, but any high gain tube amp does, they're designed to be loud. Having played both there isn't a huge amount of difference, but yes the Fireball is probably better at low volumes.

Louder, I personally prefer the 6505 and think it would be better for you.

Thanks for the reply, thats the type of answer I started this thread for.

oh and sorry about the double post.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
What are the tones like at high volume?

Similarities / differences?

unless you get the peavey biased it sounds sterile, inorganic, and not as warm as the fireball. the gain on the fireball is also less bee-hive like. but if you get the peavey 6505 biased....it'll def sounds amazing. Personally i'd go with the fireball just cuz of the master volume feature being the main factor, not to mention it has killer tone and better cleans.

also, the Fireball is not as mid-voiced as a peavey 6505. you can still get all the mids you need, but i find it more versatile to have a bigger range of mid/mid scooping
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
unless you get the peavey biased it sounds sterile, inorganic, and not as warm as the fireball. the gain on the fireball is also less bee-hive like. but if you get the peavey 6505 biased....it'll def sounds amazing. Personally i'd go with the fireball just cuz of the master volume feature being the main factor, not to mention it has killer tone and better cleans.

also, the Fireball is not as mid-voiced as a peavey 6505. you can still get all the mids you need, but i find it more versatile to have a bigger range of mid/mid scooping

Thanks, another well thought out and informative reply. I love UG

I think that I'm going to have to try them both out at the same shop, same cab, with my guitar.

I think the thread has shown that they're both brilliant amps. Is that fair to say?

My next question - Are they both definitely good for metalcore / hardcore?

Tom
RIP Tom Searle.
I think the thread has shown that they're both brilliant amps. Is that fair to say?

most definitely

and trying them out and hearing it for yourself is always the ultimate way to make judgements :-)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
My next question - Are they both definitely good for metalcore / hardcore?

honestly i'd say the peavey 6505+ is better for metalcore because of the voicing, and the type of gain it has...and the tones it covers, as well as how the presence and mids contrast one another...to me the fireball was the ultimate hi-gain Death Metal monster
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
most definitely

and trying them out and hearing it for yourself is always the ultimate way to make judgements :-)

Ooh another thing.

The fireball is 60watts

And the Peavey is 120 (I think)

Will there be much difference in top end volume?

I know theyre different wattages, but I've heard that they both loud as fook and theres not much difference?

Is this true?

Cheers guys
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
Ooh another thing.

The fireball is 60watts

And the Peavey is 120 (I think)

Will there be much difference in top end volume?

I know theyre different wattages, but I've heard that they both loud as fook and theres not much difference?

Is this true?

Cheers guys

The difference will be a matter of a few decibels. you probably will not even be able to tell the difference if you maxed them both. also it doesn't really matter cuz you mic the peavey by the time its at 5-6 post gain out of 10...and the Fireball is similar. Either way, both are definitely way more loud than anyone will ever need
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Ah thanks Kayman, you're really helping me.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Peavey, but that could all change when I try them.

Another question (Sorry guys)

Is the clean tone on the Peavey really THAT bad?
RIP Tom Searle.
Is the clean tone on the Peavey really THAT bad?

Nope, that's a retarded bandwagon people jump on. Now, they are not fender cleans by any means, they are pretty flat. But with some EQing and a good Chorus, you can get a pretty usable clean tone.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Nope, that's a retarded bandwagon people jump on. Now, they are not fender cleans by any means, they are pretty flat. But with some EQing and a good Chorus, you can get a pretty usable clean tone.

Bias mod . They breakup pretty quickly though I remember that from my time with one.
Quote by maggot2011
Bias mod . They breakup pretty quickly though I remember that from my time with one.

Ah yes, that will also definitely make a world of difference
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Ah yes, that will also definitely make a world of difference

Indeedio. Idk if TS will like the quick breakup though if he needs cleans at stage volumes. But then again there are always PA systems.
Quote by maggot2011
Indeedio. Idk if TS will like the quick breakup though if he needs cleans at stage volumes. But then again there are always PA systems.

Quick breakup?

Explain what that means?

I've only played a couple of shows

Sorry if I'm a n00b
RIP Tom Searle.
less headroom. your clean tone starts to distort at lower volumes. lower is relative
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
To be honest, I hardly use the clean tone on my Line 6. I actually can't remember the last time I used it.

My bands songs contain no cleans.
RIP Tom Searle.
then you should be fine with a biased 6505+
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
if i had 1000 quid, i don't think i'd buy either (i don't play exclusively metalcore though). I'd look into a brunetti xlr-evo (i've seen them on ebay stores, new, for a round £1000), engl powerball/blackmore (blackmore might not get modern enough, but it's worth a try), koch powertone (might be a little over; worth a try, i haven't tried the powertone, but i like the other kochs i've tried), genz benz el-diablo (very much love/hate though, definitely need to try it), etc.

obviously try the fireball and 6505 too, in case you prefer them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by haz_uk

This. I am selling mine partly because of that.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Thanks for all the replies

It's now between the Savage 120 and the 650+

I'm gonna try and try them both out in the same shop, same conditions etc

Cheers guys
RIP Tom Searle.
6505 will be better for you, its a hard rock and metal standard. I love engl but the fireball does not sound better cranked not like the 6505.
i have a 6505+ and play metalcore/hardcore/deathcore as well.
it nails it perfectly.
the cleans arent fender, but if you can EQ at all, they are definetly more than useable.
also, it will sound as good, if not better than any SS at low bedroom volumes.
never played the ENGL, but i can tell you the 6505+ is my deam amp.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ