Me and my brother was having a bit of an arguement.
I said that if a child from an india background is born in the UK that child is British. More precisely; Indian-British.
My brother says the he would be English as England is it's place of birth.
I argued that ethnicity and Citizianship are different things.
I guess UK is a rare case as it's a place where British is a collection of countries.

So what do you think?
Bare in mind that even on MY passport (I'm English) it doesn't say England anywhere. Just British and place of birth London

So

Discuss!
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by DarkEra97
What?

Are you confusing nationality and ethnicity?

edited
I knew there was a better word, wish I used that during the arguement
I'm Indian. My ethnicity is that I'm a metalhead. But they don't add that to passports, now do they?
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Citizenship depends entirely on the country you're speaking of.

For example: in the Dominican Republic you're a citizen if you're born in the country AND one of your birth parents is a citizen. Many people of Haitian decent find themselves without country because their parents illegally cross the border into the Dominican Republic to give birth in a place that has better health care. The DP won't recognize the child as a citizen because neither of the parents are DP citizens and Haiti won't recognize the child as a Haitian citizen because the child wasn't born in Haiti.

You're absolutely correct that ethnicity and citizenship are completely different things. Yet citizenship is defined on a country by country basis. It's a matter of law, to put it in different words.