So I'm in the process of buying a new computer.. however, I'm not sure which company to go with. It's not for anything special like gaming (which takes Alienware out of the picture, especially since those things are pretty damn expensive).

Choose for me, Pit.

But seriously, list what company's computer(s) you're currently using and how you would rate it using a cost to performance ratio.

Right now I'm using an eMachines. Costed about.. 400 bucks? It's pretty crappy, not gonna lie. The only thing that's great about it is the graphics card, and I had to buy that myself and install it.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Building it yourself is the best way to go. If you installed a graphics card, you can do it. It's just a few more parts to put together.
built it yourself, I have a dual core 3ghz 64bit amd, 2 gb ram, 250gg hard drive and it only cost me £220
****ty graphics card tho but a HD audio port.
you could build 1 decent one for pretty cheap. if you know how to read, you can build a computer
Quote by Twist of fate
I like playing twister with dead cats and old people
Yea, building one yourself isn't all too hard. It's really a matter of reading the manuals that come with the stuff you buy and that's about it. What's your budget around? If it's like the eMachine you got, it may be near a push versus DIY and buying a junker, depending on the deals you find.
GMO INC.
I usually recommend finding a local mom-and-pop shop to put together a computer for you. You'll be charged for the parts and a small amount for labour. If you ever have problems with the machine you can bring it back to the shop, and if you want to upgrade it it's also a matter of just bringing it in.

If you go with a company like Dell, HP, IBM etc. you're getting a machine that's been marked up because of brand. It will come pre-installed with various useless applications that you'll never use but will have paid for (it's a way for the companies to make more money, by selling desktop space), if you have problems with the machine you'll have to ship it back to them. It'll cost you more and it's a big pain in the ass.

A compromise is to go to a chain like Best Buy to buy a brand name system. In that case you won't have to ship it back if you have problems, but you'll still pay more for the brand name markup (and probably even more than buying it directly from Dell / IBM / HP etc. because those big chains mark up the prices too for their own profit).

So do yourself a favour and find a good local mom-and-pop shop. It'll be cheaper, the service will be better and you'll have a local place to bring it back to if you have problems or want to upgrade the system without throwing it out and buying a whole new one.

You get all the benefits of building it yourself without having to build it yourself, for a small fee for labour.
it depends where you live, but i got an HP laptop for cheap, and it's been holding up nicely
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Technically, you're not paying for most of the pre-installed apps. They're basically paid adverts by whoever made them to the company, and they lower the cost of your computer.

I prefer building computers myself, but it takes a lot of patience and research.
Agreed, DIY computers will always be the best. Higher performance parts for less money over all. Even a small mom-pop store custom computer will be cheaper then the mega companies which will make you pay towards the upper hundreds to teh thousands just for a decent box.

I have another question for hte pit though. What do you guys think about laptops?
Which tops are the better brands, how do upgrades exactly work, is it possible/accessible to build your own laptop instead of buying a prebuilt one?
I've been thinking about buying a laptop and realized building one from scratch may be a bit more difficult then a regular box. But is it possible? Can one buy laptop parts and casings?
Quote by kaplac
Agreed, DIY computers will always be the best. Higher performance parts for less money over all. Even a small mom-pop store custom computer will be cheaper then the mega companies which will make you pay towards the upper hundreds to teh thousands just for a decent box.

I have another question for hte pit though. What do you guys think about laptops?
Which tops are the better brands, how do upgrades exactly work, is it possible/accessible to build your own laptop instead of buying a prebuilt one?
I've been thinking about buying a laptop and realized building one from scratch may be a bit more difficult then a regular box. But is it possible? Can one buy laptop parts and casings?
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1420 with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed that I'm very happy with. Not a high-end performance machine but plays movies just fine and does everything else that I need it to.
Quote by garett
*Wall of Text*

tl;dr : Go to a mom and pop shop. Big companies are too expensive. Building it yourself is too much trouble.

It takes less than an hour for me to put a computer together. Installing windows and the drivers doesn't take very long either. Just build it yourself.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 30, 2008,