I have a peavey triple xxx amp... 3 channels - jangly clean (no OD even cranked), crunch (pretty high gain) and ultra (rip your face off high gain) but no reverb. I was thinking of modding this amp a little if possible... what would be needed to add spring reverb unit to this amp? Obviously a pot for adjustment but what else? Has anyone ever added a reverb unit to their amp?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Haha a pot for adjustment.

Tubes for stages and recovery
Reverb Transformer
Reverb Pan
Lots of assorted caps and resistors

Lots of work, probably no room at all in the chassis.
^ i put the pot for adjustment as a bit of a joke considering i figured there was some elaborate circuit that would have to be built

Oh well, the thought just crossed my mind

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
You could build a stand alone spring reverb unit. Fender used to long ago. Hoffman amps has the plans I think for one. But reverb is not something just spliced in. Either that or a reverb pedal.
If you want reverb, why not get a reverb pedal??

If you really want it in the amp I'm pretty sure you can buy spring reverb chambers (or whatever you call them) which you could either put in the amp, or (if there isn't room) connect, but have it placed externally. That would be easier than building it, if you just want the reverb.

If you want to do it just so you can build it, I don't have a clue.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Aug 30, 2008,
What happened was I was flipping through some supplier websites and I saw some cheap reverb tanks and said "hmmm i wonder..." I assumed there was tons of stuff involved but my electronics background ranks right up there with deep space exploration as far as my own personal experience is concerned...

The closest I've gone to amp modding was rewiring some guitars and installing recessed lighting in my recording studio... a little different than modding a tube amp i'd say. I have a TC Electronics rack effect unit... i'll probably just run that through the effect loop... I just like a nice sounding spring reverb... but that's just me

I agree with preferring the sound of a real spring reverb vs. effects. The problem is, you have to correctly drive the unit, and then correctly recover the wet signal. Here's one way to do it. It can be implemented with solid state components, as well.

Omg pwned.

I would use a pedal myself, or get an amp with a reverb spring.

K why are there so many different kinds of tubes? I'll bet that is a dumb ass question... I though you only needed pre and power tubes. I see 12AX7's, 12AT7's, and EL84's.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
There are so many different kinds of tubes because of the many different possible combinations and configurations. They're designed for particular functions. The reverb section of this circuit consists of two tubes, two pots, transformer to drive the tank, and the necessary components to drive the tubes.

A tank could also be added using op amps and/or discreet components in place of the tubes, but the number of components will be about the same.
Also keep in mind that reveb isn't that intense like Losenger made it to seem. The top half of the schem is a Marshll 18W and the bottom right it the power section.

Once the signal gets tapped off the first triode's grid it doing reverb business.
yea I noticed that it was a full schematic... I think i need a course in electronics... I can read it but have no idea what's going on... unfortunately a CNC programming and machining background doesn't help with a soldering iron as much as it helps with guitar making