what is the purpose of knowing scale formulas as long as u already know how to play the scales in many positions and the notes in the scale, i know that it is good to know theory but its mostly useful if u r going to teach music.
Because the patterns are meaningless on their own, if you don't know the underlying theory then you have no idea when to use the scale, why you would use it or how to apply it...you've learned nothing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Because the patterns are meaningless on their own, if you don't know the underlying theory then you have no idea when to use the scale, why you would use it or how to apply it...you've learned nothing.

+1.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by steven seagull
Not really. Patterns are good for beginners for building their improvisational technique and phrasing.

But you should really learn your formulas. Otherwise you wouldnt know why your playing what your playing and you wouldnt know the difference between each note. Its best if you can gain experience in choosing what note to use next, and the best way to do that is by using scale formulas and intervals.
Quote by guitarcrab
what is the purpose of knowing scale formulas as long as u already know how to play the scales in many positions and the notes in the scale, i know that it is good to know theory but its mostly useful if u r going to teach music.

the purpose of knowing scale formulas is to understand how a scale is constructed.

If you don't want to learn about scale formulas ..... then don't, but don't try to justify your lack of interest by saying that its "only useful for teaching" because that isn't true. Cop outs like that aren't helpful to you or anyone else.

Quote by demonofthenight
. Its best if you can gain experience in choosing what note to use next, and the best way to do that is by using scale formulas and intervals.

knowledge is always helpful, but as far as "the best way" to choose what note to use next...... thats a matter of artistic choice based on hearing..... the formulas are irrelevant there. Knowing them means understanding how a scale is constructed, but it doesnt dictate your note choice.

Quote by steven seagull
Because the patterns are meaningless on their own, if you don't know the underlying theory then you have no idea when to use the scale, why you would use it or how to apply it...you've learned nothing

They are not meaningless on their own, its just that if you don't know the formulas, you won't understand how its constructed. Thats it.

Music can still be successfully made by knowing the patterns and using your ears, regardless of whether or not you have any actual theory knowledge.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 31, 2008,
I never said they weren't useful, I meant that they're meaningless in a literal sense. If you don't know the notes, scale formulas and other associated background knowledge then you have no way to understand why they work the way they do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com