Hey guys,

I'm gonna buy a Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960 AV cabinet later this week. I've been saving up for a long time and am very siked!
But I just finished re-reading the online manual and there's this one thing that is pretty important which I don't get, the electrical resistance on the head and cab.

The Peavey has these resistances: 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16ohm
The Marshall has these: 4/16 ohms mono/8 ohms stereo

I honestly have no clue what to make of this. I mean...I do understand that I have to match the right resistances, but I don't know how.

Is it just 1 cable? Like connect 4 ohm (head) with 4 ohm (cab)?
Or are it several cables?

I'd just like to know what different connections I can make without blowing stuff up.
Which possible connections for mono and which for stereo.

Thanks guys

Rien (Belgium, Europe)
Last edited by Kriptonite_r at Aug 30, 2008,
Use one cable and connect the 16 ohm output of the Peavey into the 16 ohm mono input on the Marshall. Done.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The 1960AV has four 4-ohm speakers in it, connected as two separate series pairs. This is what you have when the switch is set to "stereo".

---[4]---[4]--- left

---[4]---[4]--- right

When the switch is in "mono" then the jacks determine how those pairs will be wired up. If you connect to the 4-ohm jack then they will be wired up in parallel, making a combined impedance of 4-ohms:

-+-[4]---[4]-+-
 |           |
 +-[4]---[4]-+

If you connect to the 16-ohm jack then they will be wired up in series, making a combined impedance of 16-ohms:

---[4]---[4]---[4]---[4]---

The different arrangement of switches and jacks just give you a little more flexibility in matching the cab to your head. Since you're using a mono head, just set the switch to "mono", and use identical jacks on the head and cab; either 4-ohm or 16-ohm.

If, at some point, you decide to use only two of the four speakers, then set the switch to "stereo", and connect either the left or right cab jack to the 8-ohm jack on the head.
Quote by amp_surgeon
The 1960AV has four 4-ohm speakers in it, connected as two separate series pairs.

I'm pretty confident that the 1960AV has four 16 ohm speakers in it, wired in parallel 8 ohm pairs, but who cares?

The 16 ohm setting will get the maximum winding use out of your amp's output transformer, which is what tone junkies look for. So the 16 ohm out to the 16 ohm mono input is the way to go.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.