If you dont remember a few days ago I made a topic on what was the best tube amp I could get for around $400 that would give me a Children of Bodom and Metallica sound. Well I looked at all of the amps you guys suggested and I narrowed it down to just 3 amps.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912

Those are the 3. Im leaning towards 1 of the 2 peavey amps. The Vyper doesnt come out till 1 day after my Birthday so I should be able to afford it.
Also what are some good effect pedals I should buy for it. Mostly a distortion one but I dont know which ones are good. And if those amps are bad choices please suggest something better for around the $400-$450 range.
Last edited by SharpShoot3r07 at Aug 30, 2008,
take a look at the fender blues junior and blackheart handsome devil
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Hmm

I reckon you should get the Vypyr, but that's just my personal preference...

And for distortion, get a Boss pedal, you won't regret it. Maybe the Overdrive/Dist cant remeber what its called something like OS-1, I've heard it's not bad for the price if you'd like overdrive too. Don't get a DS-1 unless you plan on modding it though, unless you like it. Go to a shop and try out some pedals, see what you like.
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.
The Roland Cube 60 isn't valve/tube as far as I'm aware. I've heard good things about the Valveking.
The ValveKing isn't a bad choice. I'm a little intrigued with the Vyper, I'd try that out before buying. I haven't been a fan of Roland and I honestly don't think you can pull of CoB or Metallica very effectively with it.

Check out this; http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-All-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481660

EDIT: You shouldn't need a distortion pedal, as this amp has enough on-board gain. But, remember when buying a pedal of any kind, try it out on the amp you have or plan on getting, or the closest one to it. Ask a rep to help you out with which amp they have in stock is the closest to the one you're getting/have.

I personally don't believe in distortion pedals. Or even overdrive pedals. EQ and chorus is all I need for my Peavey 6505 212.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Aug 30, 2008,
Go for the Roland, that's the exact amp i have, you wont need a distortion pedal, the distortion on this is so rich and full. If you have a chance to play before you buy, use the 'R-fier' sound, it's amazing, this amp has plenty of sounds and even comes with a few built-in effects(phaser,chorus,tremolo,flanger). The only thing you'll need will probably a footswitch to get from distortion and clean and what not. My personal recomendation, all the distortions are modeled after the most classic amps, and you won't be let down.

i feel like a living ad ...and no i dont work for roland
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
i dont know how to edit dammit...roland isnt tube, sorry for the misinformation session
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
forget about my post i didn't read what styles you wanted to play
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
so get the Boss MT-2 Metal zone? adn waht do noise suppressors do?

No. Don't get the MT-2. Over priced and sounds HORRIBLE. COMPLETELY thin, fizzy, and tinny.

Noise Gates or Noise Suppressors simply cut the feedback and background noise. So when you play high gain like you want to, it will effectively cut the squeals and squeeks.

I suggest (and i'm sure everyone else on here will too) the ISP Decimator pedal.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368

You can get one on ebay or anywhere else for a lot cheaper.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
so alls noise suppresors do is cut out the buzz sound that amps tend to make.

They try to. You'll always have that hum from when turning the gain up and down, ya know. But they're designed to eliminate the feedback.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Ok So then... What distortion pedal should I get? And why get a distortion pedal if the amp can have distortion already built in? Is it just because pedals have better sound?
I'm not a believer in distortion or overdrive pedals. I think that an amps on board distortion should be enough for what you're trying to accomplish. I think distortion pedals sound horrible with a high gain amp.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Vypyr tube sounds like a good choice.
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
so get the Boss MT-2 Metal zone? adn waht do noise suppressors do?

The Roland is a solid state modeling amp.
The Vypers are solid state modeling amps. They have some Hybrid with tubes coming out.
The Fender Blues is all tube but will struggle to hit what you want.
The Blackheart is all tube but will struggle to hit what you want.
The Valveking is all tube and can do most of that but will struggle with modern metal like COB.

Distortion pedals period will not sound good on solid state modeling amps.
The Vypyr prolly won't sound good with pedals added, nor will the Cubes.
The Blues Jr and Blackheart and Valveking will need pedals.
Valveking, for example, will do well with an Overdrive Pedal but will struggle with COB.

You have $450.

Can you look used too and expand this list?

Do you gig or home only? I only really have experience with the Valveking so the rest is ...

imo
I only play at home. But what do you mean Dudey 5691 that Ill need to buy replacement parts? So is it a for sure thing now that I should not buy a distortion pedal but a noise supressor wouldn't be a bad idea?
311 pretty much summed this up for you so far. $450 - great... Can you buy used and open up better options or are you only considering new amps?
I really don't think the VK could pull off metal. I have one and the heaviest it gets is an old UnderOATH tone. (like in my cover of cries of the past). I don't have experience with the other amps.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by SharpShoot3r07
can anybody reply to my messages about the pocketpod?

"The Line 6 Pocket POD guitar effects processor is about the size of a hand-held tuner. Yet it's the only personal amp modeling and effects processor packed with over 300 custom presets dialed in by rock stars and professional studio musicians who know great tone. With its 32 classic and modern amp models, 16 cab models, and 16 effects, Pocket POD enables you to create mind-blowing guitar tones wherever inspiration strikes.

Just pop in 4 AAA batteries and you are good to go practicing with headphones or jamming with your favorite songs on your MP3 player. Let loose and play it loud with Pocket POD as your multi-effect processor in front of any amp. With Line 6's advanced A.I.R. II technology, you can even use Pocket POD guitar effect as a front-end recording device with the same tone used on countless platinum-selling albums.

The Line 6 Pocket POD has a user-friendly design that makes it simple to dial in the tone you're looking for. To customize your sound even more, plug Pocket POD directly into your computer via USB and download the FREE Pocket POD tone editing software from Line6.com. Take your sound to the next level with the Pocket POD processor by connecting to CustomTone.com, the online destination for guitarists. There you can choose from a library of over 3,000 preset tones, create new tones, and share them with guitarists from around the globe. Experience world-class tone in the palm of your hand at an unbeatable price. Make your sound your own."

Since you don't want to look at used stuff. For $450 either the VK and a fish n chips eq or a Crate V and a 10 band eq and metal pedal. Or save up to $600 and have some options like the Bugera 333 or 6260, Randall RG50tc, etc.
Just save up a bit more and get a better amp. If you are set on a valve amp, just save and get a better one, a cheap valve amp will be unreliable and won't sound amazing just because it has tubes in it.

That's just my opinion though.
id get the valve king seeing as its all valve unlike the vypr
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
if it HAS to be one of those you listed, the best sound will come from a valveking, although it wont be able to go as heavy.

my advice would be to save up for a bit longer and get a bugera
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
what type of bugera then. And dont suggest the head becuase I cant afford both the head and the cabinet or w/e
Bugeras do look nice but how are they in terms of giving the metal sound that I want and what is the cheapest I can spend on one and the cehapest I can spend on one with a head?