Page 1 of 2
At what stage of your guitar "journey" do you stop considering yourself as "learning guitar" and start saying "I play guitar" or consider yourself a guitar player?

edit: Obviously you never stop learning. But there's always a point where you stop telling people "I'm learning to play guitar" and start saying "I play guitar."

Which do you consider yourself and why?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Last edited by vartanspartan at Aug 30, 2008,
You are a student eternally.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

+1 You never really stop learning, but i think i probably changed when i joined a band.
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Probably after you gain enough experience to level up the first time.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by darkstar2466

+1. This is true, you don't ever stop learning.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
when you can play, you're a player, but you can always learn more as the other guy's said
You will always be both.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by destroy_techno
+1

You always keep learning

EDIT:

We posted the same thing at the exact same time

It must be fate!
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
probably when i felt like i could hold my own against other players or at least work with them in a band competently
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
you dont stop learning, but when other priorities come into playing..eg learning an practising 50 songs for a corporate band in my case, learning becomes less of a priority. Most people who work fulltime dont put much effort into learning at all in my experience so learn as much as you can when you are at school kids.
Jonas Brothers doesn't say their learning guitar, so i assume it doesn't take long before you from the "basic learning" phase.
Quote by Kensai
Probably after you gain enough experience to level up the first time.

nah, you need to level up enough to evolve
"Student has evolved into, PLAYER!"
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
I tell people "I try to play guitar."
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
when you start to play creatively or for pleasure instead of always practicing.
when your HP hits 50
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
"Possessing much knowledge is like having a thousand foot fishing line with a hook, but the fish is always an inch beyond the hook."
i think u can say u play guitar when u can do things like

tune by ear
play songs by heart not with a tab in front of u
impervise a solo
and other things

this has been shayne ur guide to guitar playing
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Ever since the first day I said "I play guitar", whether you are learning or are a professional, you still PLAY the GUITAR, don't you?
Quote by A Rolling Stone
when you get sime balls and stop playing squiers, epiphones, and ibanez's

STFU, Epi's are great.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by A Rolling Stone
when you get sime balls and stop playing squiers, epiphones, and ibanez's

Ibanezs are excellent.
Also, the guitar does not show how good you play.
Hey I like Ibanez and Epi. Anyways on topic, I have been playin since christmas and now I have beeen sayin that I play guitar cause when ask me to play something tha a famous band wrote I can and I can play my own stuff. That makes me a player.
Quote by sglover34479
Hey I like Ibanez and Epi. Anyways on topic, I have been playin since christmas and now I have beeen sayin that I play guitar cause when ask me to play something tha a famous band wrote I can and I can play my own stuff. That makes me a player.

The fact that you can hold a guitar, have a pick, and can play some basic chords already make you player, at least, that's my opinion.
I started to consider myself a player after i joined a band and could contribute riffs, and intelligently talk about music
Quote by metaldud536
Some guitar players can't evolve by experience. They may need a Music Stone

Weed?
rawr
After about 2 /2.5 years i started calling myself a player i guess. Thats when my friends started thinking i sounded good

One time at a party a girl heard me play and she asked how long id be doing it, i said 3 years and she was like " 3 years, and your already that good? Wow!" so i just kinda Grinned for the rest of the night . I guess once you get comments like that you start considering yourself good enough to be known as a player
Quote by Shayne777
i think u can say u play guitar when u can do things like

tune by ear
play songs by heart not with a tab in front of u
impervise a solo
and other things

this has been shayne ur guide to guitar playing

i think u kan say dat uve past elementry skool wen u lern 2 spell
Quote by zegreatdane
probably when i felt like i could hold my own against other players or at least work with them in a band competently

This.

And as soon as my mates started saying I'm sick on guitar

(For the record, I don't think I'm anything special)
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by PsychoJeams
Jonas Brothers doesn't say their learning guitar, so i assume it doesn't take long before you from the "basic learning" phase.

lol... You could say that about a lot of "professional" guitarists, tho, like punk guitarists who just play nothing but simple powerchords. (Not saying Jonas Brothers are professional guitarists)

To reply to some of you, I started playing guitar as a hobbie, and haven't and don't really plan to play any gigs ever. But I don't think that disqualifies me from becoming considered a guitar player. I guess after thinking about it, I agree the most with the people who say if you play guitar at all then you play guitar, period.

And @A Rolling Stone I disagree that a "real" guitarist should be obsessed with gear.

And thanks guys for the much needed pokemon references.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Page 1 of 2