I play a Jackson something or other (two humbuckers) through a b-52 at 212, all tube combo. I just moved in to college, and I'm in a huge dorm that probably holds 700-800 people. Anyways, upon plugging in my amp, I tried to play but there was this obnoxious screechy hum coming through. It didn't sound like 60 cycle, and it wasn't feed back, it was just... buzz I guess. Granted, I was playing at high gain, but relatively low volume for the power of the amp. I was plugged into a power strip, so I moved it over to a wall outlet, and the problem cleared up for the most part. Ok, that's problem one.

Problem two: I think my amp is cutting out some of my guitar output, as an amp that normally has some pretty br00tal distortion is now extremely lacking. If I grab the "standby" and/or "power" switch on the amp, it kicks back in full force and is ready to dominate. Same for if I grab the jack leading out from the guitar. Is this a grounding issue? Should I go to shopko and grab a ground lift, or do I risk killing myself? Thanks in advance.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
That's definitely a grounding problem. Have you tried a different guitar? If that isn't the problem I would probably have a tech look at it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've only got access to one guitar for about a week, I'll repost then. Thanks for the opinion!
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Ok, I just got my strat shipped up to me. It still does something close to the same thing, maybe a little less pronounced. I tried buying a grounding adapter and electrical taping it to the wall, but it made it even worse. I'm gonna try to move it to a different place in the building and see if it does the same thing. In the meantime, any other advice?
Quote by Powerhouse