Page 1 of 5
Hey guys, I posted not long ago asking about the White Horse GT260, most people said not to get it so I raised my budget and bought a Marshall MG100HDFX, I've been using a Marshall MG100DFX for a while in band practice and it has been nice but this Marshall MG100HDFX is really lacking in gain and distortion. It's too late for me to send it back now and the only way to send it back would be by fault and there's nothing that I can tell is wrong with it. But yeah, is there any way I can get the amp to boost out more? If I pull a harmonic pinch, it sounds so muddy and dies out in a second. Any suggestions?

There's not really nothing you can do.

ask if you can exchange it and get a valve combo instead

if no, i suggest a EHX metal muff on the clean channel only for the best attempt at turd polishing here
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
you need to burn the amp, its the only way to save your reputation
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
>_>

*hits head on desk*

How long have you had it? are you SURRRE you can't send it back?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator

you can use an FX pedal thru the clean channel.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You can get an EQ and pray, but I can't tell you if that will help you too much.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
That facepalm smiley has to be one of the best things that's ever happened to UG...

On topic, I highly doubt you need more distortion. If you really have the gain knob died on your amp you need to spend some time learning to EQ...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

do you have a better suggestion?
Urm, a few days. And to be honest, it does sound a lot better than a lot of valve amps I've played. The clean channel on it is beautiful, the effects, well. They'll do even though I won't use them. It's just the distortion and gain. I would send it back but then there's nothing else really in my budget and I'm not blowing 600 a piece on a valve amp. My 15watt Fender practice amp blows the gain on my Marshall. What makes the 100HDFX and the 100DFX so different? In theory, shouldn't they both make the sound, they are the same amp but the HDFX is a Head and cab. And no, I didn't buy the Marshall just because of the name before anyone asks, I bought it because I actually like Marshall solid states. The problem is, there was none in stores around me so I couldn't try it out before I bought it.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
Just wondering who said anything about metal.
These go to eleven...
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

I do. Blackstar DistX. Uses real valve power because the 16V is bumped to 300V internally. More gain than you need, can do British or American sounds, built like a tank and sounds amazing. Only problem it is quite noisy, so you may need a noise suppresser.
You do understand that if you return it, you can get a Randall RG50TC or something with loads of sustain and definition, right?
What tube amps did you all try?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Just wondering who said anything about metal.

more gain that the amp has? pinch harmonics?

metal or not i think that pedal (or similar) would be put to good use replacing the distortion channel if you like

Quote by minibrowny
I do. Blackstar DistX. Uses real valve power because the 16V is bumped to 300V internally. More gain than you need, can do British or American sounds, built like a tank and sounds amazing. Only problem it is quite noisy, so you may need a noise suppresser.

more money wasted then
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
more gain that the amp has? pinch harmonics?

metal or not i think that pedal (or similar) would be put to good use replacing the distortion channel if you like
I dunno, it's kind of a two trick pony. Frizzy carp or frizzy carp with too much treble. footswitchable too.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I dunno, it's kind of a two trick pony. Frizzy crap or frizzy crap with too much treble. footswitchable too.

you say that as if theres an option which will get good tone from the MG
I've tried a few, it was while back when I bought my Jackson JS30KV, I'm not too sure on makes, makes don't mean anything really. By the way, I play quite heavy stuff, mostly Deathcore based so I'm going to need a lot of distortion. What I don't understand is how the Marshall MG100DFX can give me that but then the MG100HDFX can't. I'm not trying to bash anyone's opinion but I do like Marshall, they make quality stuff, even some of their tube products are satisfactory like the JCM but I haven't got enough money. And like I said, my Fender 15watt practice amp can supply more gain and distortion than my HDFX.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Well then there's obviously something wrong with it.

Can you explain further?
Demon, what you don't know, is that we get a lot, A LOT of "my MG amp just broke" threads.

so even if you really like how mgs sound (and you know what, that's fine), like said, there sounds like a real problem that needs to be addressed prior to the 90 day (or similar) return date.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah, then there must be something wrong with it.
Return it if that's the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a problem. MG's are unreliable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah they are unreliable, I'm not going to say you're wrong there but a well maintained Marshall can last you years. But this has been that way since I pulled it out of the box, the knobs don't look too good either, they wobble as you turn them. I'm having quite a few thoughts that this amp may be second hand, or was bought, had a problem, got sent back and now it's been sent to me. And there's the problem that there is none in my area for me to try out to see the difference in sound. So I have a few problems with proving to the company that there's a fault. Is there anyone in here that can explain to me how the MG100DFX and the MG100HDFX differ electrics wise and circuit mapping wise. I can't really find anything on the net apart from people bashing Marshall but there we go. And has anyone heard what a White Horse GT260 sounds like?
They're exactly the same amp. The only difference is one is a head and one isn't. That's what the H is.

The wobbly knobs and stuff is just coz MG's are terribly made.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
they dont differ

the MG10 and the MG100 are the same amp.

thats why theyre not great, its a 100w practise amp. bad times

contact where you bought it asap
I don't think electronically the DFX and HDFX are that different. They are probably exactly the same.
That White Horse will probably sound similar to a fully functioning MG, but since it's probably cheaper, you're better off.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by jambi_mantra
They're exactly the same amp. The only difference is one is a head

So basically, if it doesn't sound like the amp I use for practice then there's something wrong with it?
Quote by XxDemoNxX
So basically, if it doesn't sound like the amp I use for practice then there's something wrong with it?

i wouldnt go that far
Wait, I actually just read your post, you bought an MG head, because you were practicing with the combo?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by XxDemoNxX

no one here can tell you for sure if the lack of gain is a defect of your amp or a quality of an MG amp, because we arent in ur room.

BUT i can tell you that wobbly knobs, and the idea that the gain is less than a fender 15's gain, is very telling and that alone is enough to ship this lemon back to the company.

call them first tell them the knobs are messed up and there is little to no gain.

tell them you want a shipping label and full exchange (hope not) or refund.

the worst they can say is no.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jambi_mantra
Wait, I actually just read your post, you bought an MG head, because you were practicing with the combo?
Cause half stax are kewl.
These go to eleven...
oh hell get a refund for it and get a TUBE COMBO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would mind a full refund. If this amp is faulty then I won't buy a Marshall product again. I went by those rules with Windows and I'm sitting here on a Linux computer now I could get some recordings up but they'll be WAV or OGG and I'm not sure if this website allows those formats.
No, I bought the head and cab because that's more my style than combos, combos are too small in my eyes and lack the tone. The tone from my head and cab is gorgeous but it's that nice crunchy distortion and sustain I want.
Quote by XxDemoNxX
No, I bought the head and cab because that's more my style than combos, combos are too small in my eyes and lack the tone. The tone from my head and cab is gorgeous but it's that nice crunchy distortion and sustain I want.

PICARD!!!! get over here, i need you a sec

the MG100 is identical to the MG100HDFXJDICRAPDNSB the hdfx is just in 2 equally lousy bits

you want decent, thick, rich tone?

save

save

save some more and get a tube amp. a teeny 30W combo would obliterate any SS halfstack (under £2000 anyway)

halfstakcs do NOT increase you guitar ability, your general awesomeness or your IRL/e-penis size

i think im done with this thread now
Quote by XxDemoNxX
I would mind a full refund. If this amp is faulty then I won't buy a Marshall product again. I went by those rules with Windows and I'm sitting here on a Linux computer now I could get some recordings up but they'll be WAV or OGG and I'm not sure if this website allows those formats.

No, just don't buy an MG or AVT (since that's basically an MG in disguise... I have a valvestate, I hate it with all my heart).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by XxDemoNxX

Ahh too small, I get you. You want a bigger penis and feel buying a POS half stack gives you that.

The tones the same, it's the same amp.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Alright. Well, thanks for the help. Apart from that, I'm not wasting money on a 30w, simply too small for me and there's much better amps out there for cheaper and better quality. I've already said that I don't like tubes, so I'm not going to buy one, it's the same as the majority not liking solid states so they're not going to buy one. I play big shows, my drummer's kit is very loud and there's no way a 30w is going to satisfy my needs. Basically, I'm up against a full sized drum kit, a 120w line6 and loud bass. I'm going to need something that can keep it's tone to a T at very high levels and project enough power. As for my Marshall, I'm very disappointed. There's one video on Youtube that's really confusing me, same amp as mine, doing what the amp I use in practice does, the gain and distortion mine can't do.
Page 1 of 5