http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-tremolo-tailpieces-tp-3683-001,Product.asp

I was thinking about installing this tremolo on my sg.....would there be any problems? Like, loss of sustain or tone? It seems like a pretty easy installation if I take it to an expert so I was just wonder the ups and downs to this if any.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
You should maybe have to hire a pro, I'm not sure how you would put that on...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
but what about tone/sustain ? any issues with that?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Itll probobly kill the sustain a little bit, but not by much. Might brighten up the tone too. Im not expert though. ive only ever played the Maestro SG tailpiece
eek, i would worry about intonation and quality.

how about a bigsby instead?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i wouldn't recommend this. if you want a tremolo buy a guitar that comes with one.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
The Bigsby is really the only tremelo I'd feel comfortable installing myself (it's kind of meant to be self installed).
crazy talking animals
I really dont like bigsby's......I think this would play much better, but any other opinions?
My Gear:
No, that one should serve fine.
However you may lose a little sustain and a tiny bit of tone, as the strings aren't (so to say) locked onto the wood like with a normal fixed bridge. The vibrations are passing through the metal sheet of the tremelo before reaching the body, and as you can guess a metal sheet doesn't do much for tone/sustain.

However there shouldn't be that much of a noticable difference at all, and if you are dedicated enough to install a tremelo on it, you must really want to use it so you should be fine.

EDIT: Unless you have done it before, I would strongly advise not doing it yourself.
You do not want to **** up your Gibson, trust your beauty at a shop (A GOOD ONE, ONE THAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED SEVERAL TIMES), because if you leave it at the first shop you find you could come out with a unusable guitar.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Last edited by zacharydak at Aug 30, 2008,
Satriani as infinite sustain and he uses a think guitar, with a tremolo.

Sustain should be fine. Unless you're a sustain nazi. Try to find a guitar with a tremolo already though. OFR is 200$ alone, the installation won't be cheap either. It'll be sweet though.

BTW, that "tremolo" is just a vibrato, no different than a bigsby. You may as well just get a bigsy or one what comes with it. It's professionally done to begin with.
Last edited by nan0 at Aug 30, 2008,
i doubt you could even get a good tech to install that bar for you.

he'd take one look at it (at by the way that bar is on sale on ebay for 89 +7 shipping), and ask why you didnt go wt a bigsby.

im not saying it's crap. i'm just saying that there's a reason why there are no reviews for that bar online.
it's a knock off, and i'd be shocked if anyone who owns one would see this thread.

if you want to get it, then go for it. but you might want to invest in locking tuners too.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, bigsbys are a lot easier to install i find anyway.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff