Page 1 of 2
So basically my computer I have in my room is a franken-computer. When ever anyone else in the family has a computer that dies, I take the best parts for my own computer. And now my moms computer bit the dust, got virus'd to hell. So I decided I'd take her video card, so I can finally have all the pieces needed to run decent games. Now the problem is, I opened up her computer, and have NO idea where the video card is. There's something that I THINK is the video card, but has no fan, which threw me off. Here's a picture of the inside of the computer for ya.

It's a Dell Dimension 5150.
Feed your mind.
Omg a left foot
I dont see one either =/
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Your looking at intigrated graphics..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
1. Not all video cards have fans 2. could be built into the mobo, cant exactly see much from that pic but if it is seperate from the mobo id say it that card thats to the bottom right of the screen
im not sure if it does have integrated gphx but if it did have a videocard this is what it would be
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
if the blue or white port where the monitor connects is mounted on the large motherboard then you have an integrated video card which isnt good. Outboard video cards work tons better than on board ones. Even a cheap $100 card will be better...

Whats the card at the bottom left of the original large image?
what type of inputs does it have on it?

chances are its a sound card but it could be a video card...
Quote by guyperson

There it is. It's an ATI Radeon X600, according to Dell's website and CNET.

You sir, are the man. I've been looking around it and I can't figure out how to detach it. xD
Feed your mind.
The photo isn't specific enough.

BAsically if there is a card where the vga/dvi cable from your monitor connects to, that is the video card.

If it connect to a port coming out of the mobo, then it's an integrated graphics card and you won't be able to put it into your computer.
most dells use the intel chipset therefore they are integrated. doiesnt mean you cant upgradem, just means you cant take it out, just use her mother board? you can still buy a better one.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Firebread
You sir, are the man. I've been looking around it and I can't figure out how to detach it. xD

just unscrew it from the case (youll see the screw if you look closely) and pop it out. be careful not to damage it though.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by frozen_soul
just unscrew it from the case (youll see the screw if you look closely) and pop it out. be careful not to damage it though.

I don't see any screws though...
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread

Where his left thumb is, there should be a screw. Just take it out and yank the card out.

I just realized your computer opens from the right side instead of the left. That's odd.

EDIT: Hmm. What is that black thing on the back? (bottom left)
Quote by guyperson

Where his left thumb is, there should be a screw. Just take it out and yank the card out.

I just realized your computer opens from the right side instead of the left. That's odd.

EDIT: Hmm. What is that black thing on the back? (bottom left)

Here's the prize

The reason I dind't see the screw was because someone already took it out.

Thank you for your help everyone! I've never asked the pit for advice as I'm usually sure that the response will just be "Throw a rape party." or "Cum Blood" but you pulled threw for me. =P I'm gonna make waffles and try and install it into my comp next, expect to see a thread of me confused as to how to install a video card in about an hour or two. xD
Feed your mind.
ooooooooooh
shiney haha

Good job getting it out.
BTW, put your images on photobucket or something and resize them to 800x600 pix.

Few questions though...your moms PC got a few viruses. Why dont you run any virus protection software?
Why not just reformat the PC and clean it up instead of spending money on a new one?

....probably because PCs are cheap to buy these days....haha
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
ooooooooooh
shiny haha

Good job getting it out.
BTW, put your images on photobucket or something and resize them to 800x600 pix.

Few questions though...your moms PC got a few viruses. Why dont you run any virus protection software?
Why not just reformat the PC and clean it up instead of spending money on a new one?

....probably because PCs are cheap to buy these days....haha

When I say Viruses, I mean Virus. And when I say Virus, I mean a ****ing tank. The comp can't turn on, and when it does, it lasts for five minutes. But hey, I'm not complaining, I inherit the parts. I ate all the waffles and I think I'm gonna go try and get this guy in. Is there anything I have to do other than just plug the ****er in? Or do I gotta do other stuff? Just wondering before I **** up my computer. I'm hoping to have Oblivion up and running tonight. xD
Feed your mind.
Quote by guyperson
Oh good. It's a PCI-E graphics card. Your other computer has a PCI-E slot right? If it's AGP you won't be able to use it.

How do I tell?
Feed your mind.
Well, you could always reformat the computer and build Windows from scratch. You'll be surprised how easy it is and how obscenely fast your mother's computer once was.

As for the card, yeah, it's probably a X600 PCI-e. I guessed from the driver list. Obviously, go to ATi.com for the latest drivers once you plug that thing in. By the looks of it, you'll need to plug in a cable from the power supply...look carefully at the one you unplug from your mother's computer and see if you have a corresponding one.

Though hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt it'll run Oblivion. It already has enough trouble with Doom 3. If you repair your mother's computer, maybe you can score a Radeon 4850/4870?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
its pretty much based on your motherboard, though i dont know how to tell.

i hate that i have the best graphix for my comp. if i wanted to play better games, i would have to get an Xbox 360 or PS3 because it would cost the same as upgrading my motherboard, processor and graphix card. stinkin three year old computer
It ran Oblivion on her comp, don't see why it wouldn't run on mine.

Is there anyway to check if I have a PCI-E or AGP without opening up my comp?
Feed your mind.
My nVidia GeForc 8600M is somewhere in my macbook pro. Can't tell where exactly.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Firebread
How do I tell?

If it'll fit

Quote by guyperson
Oh good. It's a PCI-E graphics card. Your other computer has a PCI-E slot right? If it's AGP you won't be able to use it.

PCI-E gfx card without a fan = crap

You can get good PCI-E cards really cheap nowadays.
Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > Display Adapters

Then right-click and choose "Properties" on whatever shows up under Display Adapters.
It should say "Location: ___________________"

Mine says "PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0)" and I have a PCI-E card.

EDIT: Wait, that's only if you have a physical card installed. If you don't, then the only way to check is to open it up.
Quote by guyperson
Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > Display Adapters

Then right-click and choose "Properties" on whatever shows up under Display Adapters.
It should say "Location: ___________________"

Mine says "PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0)" and I have a PCI-E card.

EDIT: Wait, that's only if you have a physical card installed. If you don't, then the only way to check is to open it up.

That's what I'm currently working with. What's the good word? PCI same thing as PCI-E? xD I feel like such a nub.
Feed your mind.
Oh lord, the GeForce 4 MX was God awful, even when it was released.

PCI is what they had before AGP :P

EDIT: I think the GeForce 4 MX's are AGP, not PCI
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Oh lord, the GeForce 4 MX was God awful, even when it was released.

PCI is what they had before AGP :P

This was originally my grandfathers work comp, but he got a new one. So I got this and I've been giving it everyone spare parts since. Thing works great.
Feed your mind.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Can it run Crysis?

Said the computer works great, not the video card.. >>
Feed your mind.
I say repair your moms old dell. You have to put the windows disk in and run it from the bios. it will walk you though the reformat process.

As for these computer...why are you wasting so much time collecting old parts and putting them into old computers?
You can get a fair Desktop PC for around $300 these days and it will be better than the ones you are working with now. I got my Acer Aspire T180 for just $200 after rebate and put about $200 into it. Its still running a single core processor but the upgrades were well worth it...
Quote by moody07747
I say repair your moms old dell. You have to put the windows disk in and run it from the bios. it will walk you though the reformat process.

As for these computer...why are you wasting so much time collecting old parts and putting them into old computers?
You can get a fair Desktop PC for around $300 these days and it will be better than the ones you are working with now. I got my Acer Aspire T180 for just $200 after rebate and put about $200 into it. Its still running a single core processor but the upgrades were well worth it...

Or I could continue to upgrade for free....
Feed your mind.
Holy crap GeForce4. I used to have one of those. So old.

Like someone said earlier, you might be better off if you can just repair your mom's computer. If it's just a virus, you could either reformat or just buy a new hard drive and reinstall Windows.
Last edited by guyperson at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by guyperson
Holy crap GeForce4. I used to have one of those. So old.

Yes yes my video card is old. Will the new guy fit? I don't wanna have to deal with all the wires if it won't work.
Feed your mind.
Well, we still don't know if you have a PCI-E slot in your computer, soo... Your best bet is to open it up and check. You can tell the difference easily.

<- REAR -------------- FRONT ->

AGP looks like this [="===="][="=="]
Usually black or brown, shorter than PCI, and usually not lined up with PCI.

PCI-E looks like this [="="][="======="]
Usually black or blue, same length as PCI and lined up with PCI.

PCI looks like this [="======="][="="]
Usually are white and there's more than one.

If all else fails, take a pic and we'll see.
Ok, I'm gonna download the drivers, then I'm opening it up and diving in. I'll keep you all updated.
Feed your mind.
You'll have to go into BIOS to change your display adapter to PCI-E if you get the new card in. It won't switch automatically. As for how to get into BIOS, you'll need to press a certain key during startup. I think it's different depending on your motherboard manufacturer. If you have an AGP slot, then you're screwed.
Last edited by guyperson at Aug 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2