I read that Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne turns up the bass and treble controls to full on his Warwick Thumb. I don't see how this would improve his tone besides boosting any hum and hiss. Does the Warwick Thumb's active EQ somehow sound nice when pushed?

Experienced sound engineers have told me they ask bassists to do this during recording too.
Fully boosted EQ on the bass = higher output, which drives the preamp stage differently (I find a preamp with higher input has a more fatter, fuller sound).

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's favourable to put everything up on the bass, and then fiddle with the EQ on the amp or at the PA, as far as I know.

Yes, but a preamp on a bass is just another EQ section.

The only reason I can think of is to boost the output, as said before.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Alright, I suppose it works on good quality equipment. I've pushed the signal going into a combo before using my bass controls and it sounded like ass, so I stuck with leaving EQ at zero/default.
I can put my hand foward on this debate..... My Warwick, and the NT thumb I tried in a local store, definitely sound a whole heap better with all the tone controls on the guitar boosted as far as they'll go. Don't know why, it just adds a zest to the sound.

My musicman on the other hand, sounds like a mutilated cow with all eq boosted.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
When I turn the EQ's all the way up on my '97 Thumb 5-string, there's no buzz or hiss at all!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
ryan also used a dbx 160a compressor and would turn it up very high. thats how he gets his 'squashed' tone. he switched to warwick amps now. i believe he has the xtreme 10.1 amp running through 2 warwick 410s. the xtreme amp has a compressor knob and im sure he cranks that up as well. he's the only bassist that ive heard that squashes his tone like that but it sounds great i think!
Quote by Nikki197666
I can put my hand foward on this debate..... My Warwick, and the NT thumb I tried in a local store, definitely sound a whole heap better with all the tone controls on the guitar boosted as far as they'll go. Don't know why, it just adds a zest to the sound.

My musicman on the other hand, sounds like a mutilated cow with all eq boosted.

Just a guess, but would the Warwicks be 2-band EQs and the Stingray 3-band?
Ryan is a very precise player, leaving nothing to chance. His bass controls are there as a signal booster to be shaped more fluidly by his amp and eq section.

yes, you are correct in your guess, somewhat...Stingrays come with both 2-band and 3 band options..while stock thumbs are 2 bands.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
When I would do that on a 2-band Warwick EQ, I'd get a little bit of hack noise in the background (reflective of boosting an EQ), but keep in mind if it's a 2-band EQ Warwick has them spec'd out in such a way that they're both shelving controls set higher for bass and lower for treble than most EQs (100Hz and 2kHz, respectively).

Translation? When you boost them you're getting a fair signal boost and your tone won't be as lumpy as it would be if it was 3-band. You're boosting everything under 100Hz and everything over 100Hz as opposed to everything under 30Hz, a hump around 500Hz, and everything over 10kHz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..