The sheer amount of metal amp threads on UG is confusing me lmao.

I posted a thread a few days ago asking if the Valveking was any good for metal ... as I have found out the answer is no. I got a few suggestions but have read reviews for those amps with varied opinions.

So now I need some advice on what amp I should buy next. My band regularly gigs and is just starting to play some major gigs in the glasgow and edinburgh area supporting well known bands. Also with our 4 track demo being recorded soon, obviously I want it sound as best as possible.

Basically ....

Genre played - Metalcore/Thrash Metal
Needs - Gigs and practice in room
Must haves - Awsome cleans and crushing distortion
Type of amp - Valve/Tubes
Wattage - what do you suggest ?
Budget - £400

P.S out of total curiosity .... whats the deal with this head and cab ? why is it so insanely cheap ?

Laney LX120RH Head - Camo
Laney LX412A Cab - Camo
It's solid state.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
you want awesome cleans and "crushing distortion" in one tube package for £400?

come back later with a serious proposition
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
you want awesome cleans and "crushing distortion" in one tube package for £400?

come back later with a serious proposition

this
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Yeah ... ive been told its possible ... not entirely sure myself tbh.

Someone suggested the Randall RG50TC ??
5150 is all I can think of.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Go with Marshall , spend the cash now and it will give you what you want and go forever. I have a Marshall and its never let me down.Pricey as hell but goes on and on...
Quote by SuicideMessiah
What model ?

There are no marshalls in your range, as far as I know, unless you can find a used JCM 800 for 400 pounds.

A good amp to try is a Laney GH50L. Laney is generally affordable in the UK, right?
tbh for full on metal and sweet cleans you want diezel or engl

oh look. £2k =[
*slow clap*

we kept you out of england for long enough
Quote by SuicideMessiah
Bugera 333-212 ?? ... arent these things supposed to be monsters ?.

They are pretty decent amps for what they are. Pretty good cleans and more gain than you'll ever need.

I've played the halfstack pretty extensively, and it sounds pretty great.
Whats the build quality like ? the sound control in glasgow just got them in, so I havent had a chance to check any out.
Yeah bugera 333xl should do it, except people say they could be slightly bad build quality. But since its basically based off the peavey triple xxx, you could get one of those for your price i think.
Quote by SuicideMessiah
Whats the build quality like ? the sound control in glasgow just got them in, so I havent had a chance to check any out.

No better or worse for most amps in that price range, as far as I know.

Most of the stories I've heard are mainly with the stock tubes, so changing those out when you get the thing would be a good idea.

Also, the pots are directly mounted to the PCB's, so that could cause some problems down the road if you snap a pot shaft.

But for the tone, they are damned cheap.
Quote by SuicideMessiah
Bugera 333-212 ?? ... arent these things supposed to be monsters ?.

Burgera are known to have behringer-level quality... I'm not flaming it too much though 'cos I honestly never played one
Quote by slappyx
Burgera are known to have behringer-level quality... I'm not flaming it too much though 'cos I honestly never played one

no theyre not, everyone saw the link and assumed it. theres been no horror stories on UG that i've seen.

all amp companies make some unreliable products, even flukey ones