Hi, I live in a small Missouri town, and I am a Freshman in high school.
I'm a percussionist, particularly quint toms, in the school band here. We have 126 people in band altogether.

Well, very recently, our band director told us we were invited to play at the Sugar Bowl, in January. She also said only 50 schools in the country were invited to play.

I, of course, freaked out.

Being a Freshman, I believe I won't be able to hold up to the playing ability and the nerves. However, last year, I was brought up from Jr. High to play in the front ensemble on the marimba, which was tons of fun. Each and every football game and competition we played at, I would be nervous to the point of nearly throwing up, despite being fairly well prepared in terms of music.

The Sugar Bowl is a nationally televised event, with millions of people at home, and in the stadium, watching. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick. I'm not for sure if I, or my bandmates, are ready for something this big.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had experienced this sort of thing before, or if you had any ways to help decrease nervousness, and improve playing ability.
Lately, I've been noticing that I will play something to perfection one moment, and then not be able to play it at all the next.

I would really appreciate to hear from some fellow band geeks, or people who just know how to handle this situation.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, what if New Orleans gets raped by a hurricane again? We can't exactly play in the Superdome if it is a heap of junk...
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights
Yah, my then 11 yr old daughter caught me doing my ex-girlfriend.

Thank God this didn't end up like that threesome story.*sigh of relief*

Last edited by Slipyes at Aug 30, 2008,
weed? shrooms? something like that
Bass:
2008 Fender MIA Precision Bass
2006 Fender MIM Jazz bass
Amp:
Fender rumble 60
Effects:
Boss bass Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Refurb

MUSE
RADIOHEAD
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSMy inspirations
Mine did the Fiesta Bowl when I was a senior. And at least for ours the competition was like days before the bowl game so don't think you'll be playing there. As a drum major I can guarantee you nobody fainted or freaked out. Just treat it like anything else. I actually had a lot more fun doing it then most normal comps. You'll be fine.
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

I don't do drugs.

EDIT: I reply Uber slow.

Thank you to you, person 2 above me. It sounds like a good time, just all these nerves getting to me. DOUBLEDIT: STP FTW.

Also, southwest Missouri, near joplin?
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

Last edited by Slipyes at Aug 30, 2008,
Was it just me that thought this thread was gonna be about an hilarious incident with a marching band and a small bowl of sugar?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
I'll be looking for you when UGA plays for the title...Seriously though, if ya'll go, just look for some idiot all geared up and painted and stare at him and think, "Man, this guy looks stupid", and have a good time. It will probably be the single coolest moment in your high school days, and you will be all amped up for it. I don't think that you will have a problem at all, you will go and enjoy yourself, play the hell out of your drums, get drunk (maybe?) and have a blast watching the greatest football game of the year.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Last edited by apec_solo_king at Aug 30, 2008,
Quote by apec_solo_king
I'll be looking for you when UGA plays for the title...Seriously though, if ya'll go, just look for some idiot all geared up and painted and stare at him and think, "Man, this guy looks stupid", and have a good time. I will probably be the single coolest moment in your high school days, and you will be all amped up for it. I don't think that you will have a problem at all, you will go and enjoy yourself, play the hell out of your drums, get drunk (maybe?) and have a blast watching the greatest football game of the year.

woo go dawgs!!!!!!!!!
Pdawg: But can't they watch me fall?

ckellingc: team? huh? read full post before posting, eh?

apecsoloking: thank you very much for the advice, I will seek out a crazy geared up guy in full body paint and steal his beer. But yes, I am sure this will probably be the most exciting moment of my high school life
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

Don't psyche yourself out.
Just think of it as another show.

As someone who marched drum corps, I know what it feels like.
The easiest and safest way to do it right is to be completely relaxed. All of the drum corps I know of and most high schools have some sort of pre-show hype where they can get rid of their nerves before the show. I can promise you that you'll be fine.

Some people like to imagine the crowd in their underwear to ease the nerves too...
Just remember that in the end, no one in the stadium knows you, and no one can distinguish you. That's the beauty of uniformity, if you mess up no one can tell. And trust me, for a football game, it really won't matter if you mess up anyways. No one there is a judge that will tell you that you are wrong they will just want some good entertainment!

So stick it up theirs and show them that you aren't there to just be 'that cute little pre-game show'
my schools band does stuff like that cuz i guess they be well known
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
You're playing quints as a freshmen, so I'm guessing you're quite skilled. And I'm sure it's just a competition or a parade or something if 100 bands are invited, not the actual game or anything. You should just be looking forward to it, your instructors will make sure that the band is prepared. Believe me, my marching band marched through disney world over the spring in front of 10,000 people or something like that. Just have fun with it.
brnh.bandcamp.com
kaplac: I tryed the whole "underwear" thing last night, we played at a football game. I played really well, but I was grossed out the entire time. LOTS OF FAT CHICKS IN MISSOURI.

EDIT: Guy above me: Thank you, I like to think I am quite skilled
But also, Disney? How does one get invited to play there?
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

Quote by apec_solo_king
I'll be looking for you when UGA plays for the title

The university of georgia represents all that is wrong with society.
My High School Band played at the alamo bowl with about 50 other bands. Dont stress over it, it was the most fun I have ever had in school band. There are so many people, that even if your not that good it wont really matter. Your going to have a great time

We played a Santana Medley at halftime.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by Slipyes
kaplac: I tryed the whole "underwear" thing last night, we played at a football game. I played really well, but I was grossed out the entire time. LOTS OF FAT CHICKS IN MISSOURI.

EDIT: Guy above me: Thank you, I like to think I am quite skilled
But also, Disney? How does one get invited to play there?

I dunno, they have a big music program there called Magic Disney or something like that. Bands from all over the country come and play on different venues throughout the parks and theres a competition and stuff. It was fun.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Cool!

I am very glad I made this thread, I actually feel a lot more confident about this.
Also, yellowshirtguy, your sig insults me!

Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

That's crazy!

Crazy awesome.
I cannot wait for this now

By the way, I just found out, we're getting black drumheads for our snares, and new sticks for us tom players! Bass drums get nothing, so far. Bwa ha ha.
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

We did played the Sugar bowl last year. It was just like doing any other show on the field, once you start you won't even remember that you're on TV.
My high school played at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. I was a wee little freshman back then.....
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
I can't even forget that I'm having my picture taken by a local newspaper /facepalm

And what did you play, BlitzRaptor?
Well, how about everyone tell me what they play?
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

I play bari sax. That's a real mans instrument.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Bari Sax was my second choice, next to percussion.
Damn right it's a real man's instrument. And it's sexy.
Quote by primusfan
Quote by Darklights

Quote by Burdell

The university of georgia represents all that is awesome with society.

fixed!!!
Quote by Burdell

The university of georgia represents all that is wrong with society.

I can find no literacy in this statement. Can someone tell me if this is even english? I swear, it's in some funky language I just can't figure out...
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Quote by apec_solo_king
I can find no literacy in this statement. Can someone tell me if this is even english? I swear, it's in some funky language I just can't figure out...

not surprising, actually, coming from a mutt fan. literacy doesnt really run in your fanbase.
HAHA....
I'm a marcher in Lee's Summit Missouri to..But I play Baritone...And I'm a Sophomore....

But anyways, don't **** yourself...I was scared all the times I preformed, but unless it's strictly a MB thing, alot of people don't watch or listen, but some do....Just don't think about who's watching and play....
Quote by Slipyes
Bari Sax was my second choice, next to percussion.
Damn right it's a real man's instrument. And it's sexy.

ARRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH
For marching season, my ****head of a conductor made all the Bari-saxes play Tuba, and it pissed me off.......
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Can you choose any song to play? Do Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Roll everyone watching.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quads/Quints/Sextets FTMFW! All you really have to do is turn that nervous energy around and "feed off it".
if it helps any they dont ever show halftime shows of those games on TV so you would only be in front of the people there, not on TV. so thats significantly less people than you initially thought
Quote by 18th_Angel
No dude, that is definitely an ugly chick. I'm talking 10 or 11 beers ugly.
Quote by apec_solo_king
I'll be looking for you when UGA plays for the title...Seriously though, if ya'll go, just look for some idiot all geared up and painted and stare at him and think, "Man, this guy looks stupid", and have a good time. It will probably be the single coolest moment in your high school days, and you will be all amped up for it. I don't think that you will have a problem at all, you will go and enjoy yourself, play the hell out of your drums, get drunk (maybe?) and have a blast watching the greatest football game of the year.

Too bad Florida is going to upset you and Richt will be in the hot seat. RTR
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
I admit, I'm a Teabow fan, I think he will bring something extra to Urban Meyer's game, but it's time for UGA. We have a great young team, 3 talented backs, a QB with smarts, and a D-line to rival any others. No my friend, Florida will be but another bump in the road on the way to a championship.