So....first re-stringing of my guitar. All in all it went pretty well (Thought I did kill my low E string), I followed the instructions given here: http://www.two--four.net/Guitars/StringWrap.html

The only problem I've got is that I've got some excess string that I've tried wrapping around the post, but it just sort of...springs back and never stays on the damn post. I've read that you should wrap some extra string around the post, but is it really necessary?
you either stick with it or cut it

i always cut it, it's more confortable and it looks better than having all hanging around

Quote by vivalasoad883
do you mean, the string is through the post, tightened, and you've got some string hanging out, like this? http://z.hubpages.com/u/293465_f520.jpg

then just cut it..

you can always rely in the morello example
Last edited by deluxity at Aug 30, 2008,
just cut it
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Just cut it, and I think you mean your high E string. It helps to stretch it first
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by ATXTheKiller
I've read that you should wrap some extra string around the post, but is it really necessary?

I think it helps the guitar stay in tune better but I might be wrong.
assuming youve had a guitar since your join date you are waiting too long to change your strings. change em once a month minimum and every 2 weeks for best results if its played every day. jesus christ i feel like a mom telling people to brush their teeth or something. i mean seriously its like three or five bucks a couple times a month. oh and just cut it off. wire cutters are also about three to five dollars
Ah, alright, I'll cut it. I'd go with the Morello example, but I don't wanna get stabbed in the eye.
I wrap the full-length string around thrice, poke it and pull it thru the eye of the tuning head, and tighten from there. Once its in tune you can chop it from there
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
assuming youve had a guitar since your join date you are waiting too long to change your strings. change em once a month minimum and every 2 weeks for best results if its played every day. jesus christ i feel like a mom telling people to brush their teeth or something. i mean seriously its like three or five bucks a couple times a month. oh and just cut it off. wire cutters are also about three to five dollars

to be fair, some strings will last longer than a month without sounding horrible. It all depends on string brand (Elixers last a long time I've heard), string guage (thicker strings last longer), whether he has a fixed bridge or a tremolo (fixed or blocked bridge will double string life, in my experience), whether he washes his hands before playing, whether he uses those string wipes.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by skvvisgaar
to be fair, some strings will last longer than a month without sounding horrible. It all depends on string brand (Elixers last a long time I've heard), string guage (thicker strings last longer), whether he has a fixed bridge or a tremolo (fixed or blocked bridge will double string life, in my experience), whether he washes his hands before playing, whether he uses those string wipes.

i don't wash my hands before playing, or use Elixers(except on the acoustic), and i don't wipe my strings down... and i've had my current strings on my geetar for prolly around 10 months.

and yes, i do play every single day, for at least 2 hours, so they get used... i jsut like the sound of worn in strings better than new, so i only change when they break
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown