50 watts solid state, probably, depends on guitarists amp, and how loud the drummer is, as well as vocals.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Actually I'd like to know about this one too, I'm thinking like a 300w. But I dunno.
Usually higher than the guitarist, I have a 100 watt bass amp and it's great for gigging, depends on the amp though, some amps can handle it, some not.

Some amps you can be fine with gigging with a 50 watt, some you can barely hear with 200W.

Edit: I'm pretty sure my amp is called yorkville XM100, there's also an XM100C (just has carpet cover, that's only difference) has pretty good reviews on this site, REALLY good amp, lovely tone, I'd reccomend you try it out.
rawr
If your really looking to gig, you might not need a bass amp just a DI but if your looking for an amp for jamming with a band i would try to get a bass amp at around 300watts and a 4ohm 4-10 cab or an 8ohm combo of 2-10 and 1-15 cabs with a bass amp that can push 180watts at 8ohms... That will be more than enough to be heard through a 2 guitarists and a drummer.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Bare minimum would be 250W I would say.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Phishead42
If your really looking to gig, you might not need a bass amp just a DI but if your looking for an amp for jamming with a band i would try to get a bass amp at around 300watts and a 4ohm 4-10 cab or an 8ohm combo of 2-10 and 1-15 cabs with a bass amp that can push 180watts at 8ohms... That will be more than enough to be heard through a 2 guitarists and a drummer.
whats a DI?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Direct Injection- processes and sends the signal into the PA.

thats what i thought, just wanted to make sure
I bought a Warwick BlueCab 60.1 recently, and it's awesome in tone and volume. 60w will do the trick for most small indoor gigs, like a talent show. If it's outside however, or if the guitarists have an amp with more power than yours, then get something bigger.
...and he floated down the river on a raft with a black guy!
Get 200 at least, or you WILL be very sad. With 100, you can TELL that the bass is playing, but your amp is so pushed and just not quite loud enough that its hard to distinguish the subtleties.
Quote by CBofJAWBREAK
bass tends to carry well so if you got a 50 you should be fine

Wrong D:
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by CBofJAWBREAK
i appologize.

Aww, you're a good sport!

I gotta say, I've got a 100W SWR LA 15, and it sounds great. But IndianRockStar's got a great point. Luckily, I usually have the choice to DI, but if you don't, 100W is pushing it.

I don't regret my purchase though.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
300 watts because most speaker cabs and combos are 8 ohms so you will not get those 300 watts (More than likely around 210) until you've conected an extension/second cab.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I made practising with a band with a 20watt bass amp and was heard at 50% of the volume

/thread
for gigging 100 watts is enough
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I have a related qustion.
I have a 50 watt tube amp. Is that going to be big enough for a gig.
Quote by matt-attack

Possibly, I would recommend using the PA if they have one, with tubes you still need at least 100 Watts for it to be effective. And even then, it depends whether the tubes are in the Pre-Amp or the Power Amp or Both
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
at least 100 watts going to a 4x10 will get you heard nice

this means either a 100 watt or higher amp running 100 wats at 4 ohms to a 4 ohm cab

or a 200 watt or higher running at 4 ohms to an 8 ohm cab (I use this one at band practise becaue I'm not a fan of lugging around a 4x10 and 1x15 plus all my vocal gear to every band practise)
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by matt-attack

No.

As for bass amp gigging, 300W minimum if you don't have any signal going to the PA. 150W will do for practising, acting as a stage monitor and for quieter gigs. 100W would be pushing it for those purposes if your drummer is aggressive.

100W is not enough to practise with a drummer who hits the drums with any real amount of force. The drummer has to hear you too. 150W should do it fine unless the drummer has a massive kit and/or is a complete psyco while playing. However, when you also need to project that sort of volume over a crowd unaided by the PA, 300W is a bare minimum.

More is more.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Neo Evil11
I made practising with a band with a 20watt bass amp and was heard at 50% of the volume

/thread

Not /thread...

If your playing with 2 guitarists and a drummer i can't even hear myself with 150 watts up all the way. 300 watts is whats needed for gigging.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Not /thread...

If your playing with 2 guitarists and a drummer i can't even hear myself with 150 watts up all the way. 300 watts is whats needed for gigging.

then that's your ears/amp
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
then that's your ears/amp

You may be able to hear yourself if everyone else plays quietly when practising. However, that is nowhere near enough to get heard when playing at performance volumes, let making your presence felt.

Being able to tell that you aren't just playing acoustically =/= being heard.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Some great points have been thrown around.

300 watts really, quite often, is the minimum COMFORTABLE wattage for performance volumes.

We have to remember that there are many variables involved. Certain amps are rated more or less accurately than others. There are many different gigging situations. Also many different band setups. How hot is your bass; is it passive or active. Just how present do you want to be in the overall mix. How dominant are you in your range of the EQ (my old guitarist, for example, always had his bass dialed to 10, the jerk).

So, I think we can all agree on this: There are situations where having less than 300W will get you by (I can attest to that), but if you don't want to be straining, 300W is the way to go. Agreed?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Neo Evil11

/thread

I got by like that when my band had a drummer, but he was playing pretty soft because neighbors would complain, and even then I had to have my amp practically on the drumset.
To gig I would say 150 watts with a PA but if a PA isn't available, then 200 would be the minimum.
And this isn't considering 2 guitarists with huge amps, and a drummer who's out to break sticks.
It's impossible to say, really.

Some amps are just plain louder than others. You might have a 50w amp, and a 100w amp, and the 50w might just be louder and carry better.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece