I was at GuitarCenter yesterday with a friend of mine, and we were originally going just cause we had the opportunity to, and I needed strings... but I sat down at the amps kinda looking around and trying a few out. I couldn't find any Fender FM212r's to try out, and that's an amp I've been thinking about getting. But then I sat down at a B-52 AT-212, and it sounded pretty decent I thought. It's an all tube amplifier, and it had a good tone to it. The price wasn't that bad either. And I figured I could get a solid state Fender for roughly 400$, or I could get an all tube B-52 (which I'm not too familiar with) for 200-300$ more.

Thoughts on both amps? Or any other amps that you would suggest to me? I play mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers kind of stuff. Some Fall of Troy, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin.

I like a variety of things... but any suggestions are welcome.
Definitely the B-52.
GEAR:
Crate V50 combo
Bad Monkey OD
Boss DS-1
Squier 20th Ann. Bullet (black on black, Gibson 500T pickup, Ping tuners)

Quote by crackereast
i'm going to call charmin and see if they will endorse me.
i use the **** out of there paper.
I love B-52 gear, but that's just my opinion. I think you can get a lot more amp for the money than with fender and the clean channels on B-52 amps kicks major booty
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I say its not worth buying a solid state 400$+ but also the B-52 is not very reliable, they are cheaply priced because of shoddy making, although they dont sound like crap, just not the highest sound quality.
good starter tube?
I dunno, just make sure tehres nothing wrong and its reliable.
Edit: yea definately better buy than a 400$ solid state fender.
Just make sure everything works correctly.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I played the halfstack version of that amp and it seemed nice enough.

I've heard horror stories about the reliability, though. Supposedly, all the problems are sorted out now, but I'm still a bit leery.
B-52 rocks. Mine has held up wonderfully through lots of use, moving it around a lot and gigging 2 to 3 times a week.
How about a resale on the B-52? Because I don't want to buy an amp that I'll have for a while, and then move on, and never be able to sell it.

Cause you know a lot of people are gonna be wanting to buy an amp with "Fender" plastered on the front.
b-52, hands down. I played an FM212 at school for jazz, and ended up bringing in the B-52 everyday because I couldn't put up with how bad the Fender sounded.

Keep in mind though; it's not a primarily jazz amp; It'll handle anything you throw at it pretty well.

I miss mine :[
Quote by Widow6
b-52, hands down. I played an FM212 at school for jazz, and ended up bringing in the B-52 everyday because I couldn't put up with how bad the Fender sounded.

Keep in mind though; it's not a primarily jazz amp; It'll handle anything you throw at it pretty well.

I miss mine :[

Huh, that's kinda weird, cause I"m going to be playing in my high school's jazz band this year... but they have a Fender Princeton Chorus.

Why do you miss yours? What happened to it?
I have an FM212 in my basement that a friend left here many moons ago and I avoid playing it like the plague.

I've been thinking about getting a B-52 AT series as well though. It sounds pretty good for the money and gets pretty dang loud if you need it to.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by LP Addict
you can get the b-52 at 212 for alot cheaper. i played one with all new JJ tubes in it and one green back and one v-30.

pure ear sex.

Alright, I dig.

But I've always wondered... do tubes break easily? And how much does it cost to replace them?
^Not really. People exaggerate the maintenance difficulty of tube amps.

The Fender your're looking at is crap.

I would just get the 112 version of the B-52. The 212 isn't louder, really. Just costs more.

Also, consider these amps:
Kustom Coupe 36
Traynor YCV40WR
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Peavey Classic 30 (Use an OD pedal on top for Fall of Troy.)

The Traynors and Classic 30 are going to do classic rock much better than the B-52.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Not really. People exaggerate the maintenance difficulty of tube amps.

The Fender your're looking at is crap.

I would just get the 112 version of the B-52. The 212 isn't louder, really. Just costs more.

Also, consider these amps:
Kustom Coupe 36
Traynor YCV40WR
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Peavey Classic 30 (Use an OD pedal on top for Fall of Troy.)

The Traynors and Classic 30 are going to do classic rock much better than the B-52.

Alright thanks. My dad is fixed on the Fender... but I think it's mainly because it's a Fender.

I'll look at those on GC.

And thanks for everyone's help.
Do you think the combo is good for the price, or should I save for the head and cabinet?

I don't really have the money for the head and cab yet.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd just get the combo. It's not like the cab is spectacular.

Don't think the B052 is that great at classic rock tones, though. Any of the amps I mentioned will do it better.

I like classic rock, but I wouldn't not buy an amp cause it can't do it too well. I'm more into modern stuff now, though I still like some older stuff.

But I'll make sure to try all of the amps before I put my money on one.