Of course you don't NEED it. Nobody NEEDS it....

Tube ams are just soooo much better. I need one...
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Actives will sound how you think they would with a tube amp. The super-high output is gonna push the tubes harder for more overdrive. On an SS tho, it just sounds cruddy.
so if i get a guitar w/ EMG 81 in it, i'd probably have to upgrade to a tube amp insteada my SS?
EMG's don't work too well with SS amps.

And don't listen to people who think SS amps aren't good for anything, the Roland JC-120 is an amazing amp.
It all depends on the amp...

I play a c-1 hellraiser with an emg 81 through an ampeg solid state head...(not in production anymore) and it sounds better than it does when I play it through my bands other guitarist's 5150 II head.
Hey some Solid States are ok, I mean not being a dimebag fanboy but he used solid state throughout his whole career.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by theBONErocks
so if i get a guitar w/ EMG 81 in it, i'd probably have to upgrade to a tube amp insteada my SS?

Good amp > Good guitar.
Quote by nan0
Good amp > Good guitar.

yeahh. about that....seeing as my guitar is a 2 yr old 90 guitar from target....its time to go for a new guitar and keep the amp.
Quote by theBONErocks
yeahh. about that....seeing as my guitar is a 2 yr old 90 guitar from target....its time to go for a new guitar and keep the amp.

i agree with you in this situation, very much. i have a solid state and a guitar with an 81 and it doesnt sound that bad but i like the sound of passives through it better.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Skynyrd890
Tube >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SS

Epic fail. You are like most people on this forum who believe that the only ss amps are spiders and mg's. Have you ever played a jc120 or or a randall v2(it is a hybrid but still counts)?
Last edited by ironman1478 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478
Epic fail. You are like most people on this forum who believe that the only ss amps are spiders and mg's. Have you ever played a jc120 or or a randall v2(it is a hybrid but still counts)?

And you're just like every other internet fag..."Epic fail?" Seriously? I mean, if you are seriously going to use that in a real conversation, you should probably make sure you don't reproduce...I have played many SS amps, good and bad. I can still honestly say that Tubes are better than SS's. The tonal quality of a Tube is way superior to that of an SS. And yes, there are a few good SS amps, but as far as majority goes, Tube over SS. I know there are plenty more SS amps than MG's and Spiders...and very few can stand up to a good Tube.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!