Seymour duncan 59'
8 24%
gibson 57' classic plus
1 3%
other
15 44%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 2
I needed to do a poll narrowed down to what I want...
Last edited by protech487 at Aug 30, 2008,
music style? guitar?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I play classic rock. guitar is a Gibson LP classic, maple top, rosewood fingerboard through jcm 800 marshall.
name me some bands.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Duncan Custom 5...the Alnico Pro 2 is a no-no for the bridge with a 59 in the neck and the Gibsom is way overpriced and no better tham simply putting another 59 in the bridge.

I'm not voting in the poll, they're a waste of time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by oneblackened
name me some bands.

I don't want to sound like anyone in particular, just curious if anyone has had experience with any of the PU's listed, especially in congruence with a 59' seymour. I like moderate output and balanced tone.
Quote by steven seagull
Duncan Custom 5...the Alnico Pro 2 is a no-no for the bridge with a 59 in the neck and the Gibsom is way overpriced and no better tham simply putting another 59 in the bridge.

I'm not voting in the poll, they're a waste of time.

why is the alnico 2 a no no, it is a little hotter than the 59' which is what I think I might want.
it's a very sort of subdued toned pickup. I'd suggest using the custom 5 as well.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
it's a very sort of subdued toned pickup. I'd suggest using the custom 5 as well.

even for moderate output classic rock/blues applications?
Quote by protech487
why is the alnico 2 a no no, it is a little hotter than the 59' which is what I think I might want.

No it's not, it's quieter with a softer attack and mushier under distortion particularly in the lower frequencies. An Alnico 5 magnet in the bridge with an Alnico 2 in the neck works well, but not so much the other way round.

You still want the Custom 5, btw.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
No it's not, it's quieter with a softer attack and mushier under distortion particularly in the lower frequencies. An Alnico 5 magnet in the bridge with an Alnico 2 in the neck works well, but not so much the other way round.

You still want the Custom 5, btw.

No, I'm not sure I do. According to Seymours website the custom 5 measures 14.4. Like I mentioned earlier, I dont think I want that bigger gap between the neck 59 and bridge.

Gee whiz, I guess I'll just go with another 59'.
I'd get a SD JB, it compliments the '59 quite nicely and has some good grit to it while still being quite versatile.
Quote by protech487
No, I'm not sure I do. According to Seymours website the custom 5 measures 14.4. Like I mentioned earlier, I dont think I want that bigger gap between the neck 59 and bridge.

The resistance isn't the output, it affects it but there isn't a direct correlation...besides you normally have a hotter pickup in the bridge than at the neck, as far as volume goes you simply balance that out with pickup heights. Based on what you've specified the Custom 5 would suit you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Slash uses the alnico II in the bridge position of his Les Paul and he gets a cool tone out of it. The guy who began this thread doesn't play metal, he plays classic rock so I thin he will be fine with that pickup.
Quote by Amer91
Slash uses the alnico II in the bridge position of his Les Paul and he gets a cool tone out of it. The guy who began this thread doesn't play metal, he plays classic rock so I thin he will be fine with that pickup.

The Custom 5 isn't what you'd call a metal pickup so that's fine and dandy, and what Slash does isn't really relevant - an Alnico Pro 2 is not going to be a good fit with a 59 in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

duncan customs customs and duncan distortions are usually put in the bridges of guitars that have a 59 in the neck, so maybe one of those.

Or if you want something heavy then maybe a dimebucker?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
D.C. Resistance does not always correlate to tone.

I already told you before, dude...You'll like the Seymour Duncan Custom 5. You can hear it in action on my profile.

Quote by protech487

While the Custom 5 is a bit hotter than the '59...it's not going to negatively impact their performance...I already told you, you can balance out pretty much ANY hot pickups with a pickup height adjustment. EVERYONE does it. Everyone.

Quote by Amer91

Fail, the custom 5 isn't a metal pickup. It's great for classic rock. It's what I use..
It's basically a higher output '59, meant for the bridge position.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by forsaknazrael
D.C. Resistance does not always correlate to tone.

I already told you before, dude...You'll like the Seymour Duncan Custom 5. You can hear it in action on my profile.

While the Custom 5 is a bit hotter than the '59...it's not going to negatively impact their performance...I already told you, you can balance out pretty much ANY hot pickups with a pickup height adjustment. EVERYONE does it. Everyone.

Fail, the custom 5 isn't a metal pickup. It's great for classic rock. It's what I use..

Everyone does it, yes, including myself. In fact the 500t I have now is to the mounting screw ends I have it lowered so much. This is so because I don't like extremely strong pickups. With this being said, still Custom 5? ... I don't know maybe the 500t is much stronger than the custom 5.

And to Seagull, alnico II will not go with a 59 well because of the loose bottom end?
Quote by protech487
Everyone does it, yes, including myself. In fact the 500t I have now is to the mounting screw ends I have it lowered so much. This is so because I don't like extremely strong pickups. With this being said, still Custom 5? ... I don't know maybe the 500t is much stronger than the custom 5.

And to Seagull, alnico II will not go with a 59 well because of the loose bottom end?

Poll voters please name your PU and why you think it is so awesome, don't just vote other and leave.
Quote by Delanoir
I'd get a SD JB, it compliments the '59 quite nicely and has some good grit to it while still being quite versatile.

I agree, the JB is a very nice match to a '59 in the neck.
Quote by steven seagull
The Custom 5 isn't what you'd call a metal pickup so that's fine and dandy, and what Slash does isn't really relevant - an Alnico Pro 2 is not going to be a good fit with a 59 in the neck.

I didn't say anything about the Custom 5 being a metal pickup and the Alnico Pro 2 sounds great in the bridge position.
Quote by Amer91

That was in direct response to my Custom 5 recommendation.

I've already explained why the Alnico Pro 2 would be the wrong choice, if the TS or yourself choose to ignore that fact then that's up to you. Two other experienced posters who know their pickup onions agree with me, read into that what you will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
That was in direct response to my Custom 5 recommendation.

I've already explained why the Alnico Pro 2 would be the wrong choice, if the TS or yourself choose to ignore that fact then that's up to you. Two other experienced posters who know their pickup onions agree with me, read into that what you will.

thanks for the explanation of the pickups tone but what exactly makes the alnico less of a pair with a 59'.

I've listened to Seymour's demo's (for what its worth) and the alnico II, jazz, jb and 59 sound best to me. The demo makes the custom 5 sound so, so heavy and saturated compared to the rest... maybe it was just a bad demo??
^I'm telling you, check out my clips....I HAVE a custom 5.

The JB is meh, and so is the Jazz. I hate my Jazz now.

The Alnico II Pro just doesn't have that much bite. It sounds like that's what you want. Simply because it has slightly higher output doesn't mean it'll have more bite. The Custom 5 will.

I think what makes you not like the 500T is not that it's too hot, it's that it's using a ceramic magnet. This leads it to being harsher, than say, Alnico II or 5.
Quote by forsaknazrael

The Alnico II Pro just doesn't have that much bite. It sounds like that's what you want. Simply because it has slightly higher output doesn't mean it'll have more bite. The Custom 5 will.

I think what makes you not like the 500T is not that it's too hot, it's that it's using a ceramic magnet. This leads it to being harsher, than say, Alnico II or 5.

ok, i get the impression you are fond of your custom five , have you listened to it on seymour's website? it sounds massive! Although I did listen to your guitar I really can't tell much about it. I've got a 59' in the bridge in my studio LP and love it... just didn't know if that was the right move to make when I'll already have one in the neck of my classic.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, SD's clips are pretty much rubbish, IMO.

They don't tell you their EQ settings, guitar, or amp. Those are pretty important when taking the pickup into consideration.

The clip "Rush" is also recorded with my SG, but into a modded Valve Junior, so it has this more 80's rock kind of gain to it.

did you check out the differnence on their website say between the custom 5 and a 59'? are they really that much difference do you think? I mean I'm open to suggestions but their demo is kinda scaring me away.

does your SG have a custom 5?
Yessir, that's what I've been saying.

If you listen to the clip "Freeballin" on my profile, after 2 minutes or so, after, I'm playing the leads, clean, on my bridge pickup (should've been on my neck...but I forgot. ). Doesn't sound uber hot at all, to me.

The difference between them is that the '59 is essentially a PAF clone. The Custom 5 is a PAF on steroids. That's exactly how I would describe it. it's great for classic rock - trust me, Angus Young is one of favorite guitarists, and I think my SG does him justice.
oh, by the way, the 500t is an EXTREMELY high output pickup-the hottest Gibson makes (next to the dirty fingers of course).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by forsaknazrael

What about the JB and the Jazz do you not like?

Just curious.
Quote by Delanoir
What about the JB and the Jazz do you not like?

Just curious.

The JB is fairly trebley. I like it warm and fat. Int he wrong guitars, it can sound thin. It's also a bit hot.

The Jazz just doesn't cut it, in terms of leads, for me. Doesn't handle OD that well, doesn't have that midrange punch I like. As for clean, not enough top end. I find myself running it in parallel to get it to do what I want.
i say throw a EMG 85 in there
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
^No.
Did you even think about what the threadstarter wants, or what his current pickup config is?

i did

did u ever think that u have a stupid avatar

'runs away crying'
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Well, you didn't think every hard, then. The 85 is not a pickup I would prescribe to classic rock players. Also, he already has a new passive neck pickup. Why would he put an active one there? You can't mix the two, not without using independent controls (different potentiometer values), and using a buffer so you can use the middle position without it sound like ass.

Also, Mog would totally kupo your ass.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The JB is fairly trebley. I like it warm and fat. Int he wrong guitars, it can sound thin. It's also a bit hot.

The Jazz just doesn't cut it, in terms of leads, for me. Doesn't handle OD that well, doesn't have that midrange punch I like. As for clean, not enough top end. I find myself running it in parallel to get it to do what I want.

Fair enough, I can see what you're saying.

I ask because I have a guitar with the Jazz/JB combo. I can't speak for your guitar or tone or anything, but my setup might be helped by the fact that my guitar is all mahogany, so it balances out the treble of the JB fairly well. And I personally don't mind it a bit hot.

As for the Jazz, it can be a bit weak for me at times too. But I do like the way it handles cleans with chords and rhythm melodies. Unless I mistake what you mean by running it parallel, I often do the same, rather than run it by itself.
Page 1 of 2