My dad has played acoustic guitar for a while and I gave him an electric guitar (an hss squier strat I modded for him with gfs pickups) for his birthday. We are planing to go amp shopping at guitar center tomorrow and he is looking to spend somewere under $150. He says he'd really like a tone similar to Neil Youngs. Does anyone have any suggestions for him to look into?
If it's his first amp and only for practicing then I would suggest a smaller vox valvetronix. Maybe the 15 watter.

Also, I wouldn't buy anything your first time out. Just play as many amps as you can, even if they aren't in your price range. Then when you have some amps he likes you can research them better and maybe find one used. You could get a better amp used than you could new.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Crate V series are on sale right now for about $149 on Musicians Friend, and they're all tube. If they're about that in Guitar Center, have a look at them cause that's a f*cking great deal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Get him a little marshall, they are quite versitile, for the true neil young tone you're going to need a tube, but they're a little bit expensive.
I thought the valvetronix would be good for him too but thats $50 over the maximum my dad is looking to spend
Quote by UltimateDud
Get him a little marshall, they are quite versitile, for the true neil young tone you're going to need a tube, but they're a little bit expensive.

Err, no, the mg and the microstack suck.

Quote by wannabebassist2
I thought the valvetronix would be good for him too but thats $50 over the maximum my dad is looking to spend

Maybe the DA5 then? I'd say the microcube is worth a look as well. The crate is definitely a good suggestion as well.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Err, no, the mg and the microstack suck.

Maybe the DA5 then? I'd say the microcube is worth a look as well. The crate is definitely a good suggestion as well.

I did see the crate on sale but my dad lives in a townhouse so he wouldn't really be able to crank the 15 watt tube amp, because they get very loud
You don't have to crank it for it to sound good. Tube amps just sound better when cranked, it doesn't mean they sound bad at low volumes.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You don't have to crank it for it to sound good. Tube amps just sound better when cranked, it doesn't mean they sound bad at low volumes.

i know, but to get the true neil young tone he wants, I feel he would
I have the have the palomino v30 which is a pretty similar amp and to get the tone he's looking for cranking the clean chanel is the best thing to do
Agreed, but I still think he could get a good tone at lower volumes. Either way, I'd definitely check it out when you're out hunting for an amp. I'll also suggest not buying anything your first time out. Mull your findings over and do your research and he'll have an amp that's he will enjoy for a while.
what do people think about the vox pathfinder? are the tones at all similar to the valvetronix line? because i think something like the valvetronix amps woul be good for him
Quote by wannabebassist2
what do people think about the vox pathfinder? are the tones at all similar to the valvetronix line? because i think something like the valvetronix amps woul be good for him

from my experience, the cheap vox stuff is pretty poorly made. when i worked at gc, we had a number of displays break, and quite a few returns due to malfunction. it'll probably last a month. i've heard of mods you can do to improve that, but i'd reccomend going with an amp that's reliable out of the box. plus, modding tends to void your warantee.
the roland micro cube or cube 60 are pretty popular, and pretty versatile.
Everyone's mentioning the newer little practice amps, but you know what your dad would probably really like? The Pignose Original Portable amp. It'll cost him about half of what he was looking to spend. Sound great at low volumes. It's battery powered and completely portable. And it'll definitely do some Neil Young-ish tones.

The thing was a huge hit when it first came out (Frank Zappa recorded with one), only to be displaced by these little modelers. I don't think your dad needs that modeling technology.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
we'll look into the pignose amp, and what do you guys think about the crate v5? it's on sale for $100 on musiciansfriend
It would work good too. He won't be able to crank it fully, but he should be able to get some break up at a decent volume.
Quote by Geartrigger
^Frank Zappa recorded with one of those? I thought he used a g40v or something.

I think Zappa was dead before Pignose came out with their first tube amp.

Quote by wannabebassist2
we'll look into the pignose amp, and what do you guys think about the crate v5? it's on sale for $100 on musiciansfriend

The V5 is still gonna be really loud in a townhouse environment, but if it's any good at all (I haven't tried it) it's a great value at $100.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
if the v5 does turn out to be what he's looking for, do you think it would be wise for him to invest his other $50 in something like the digitech bad monkey?
First off... The world needs more kids like you! Kudos to you bro.
I agree that the Pignose is cool, vintage and age appropriate. But is it versatile enough? That would be my only concern because a lot of us in the "over 20" crowd play a lot of different genres. If he hasn't been playing a long time and is just getting into it, then he would likely be very happy with conquering the 60's 70's tones the pig delivers.
Quote by wannabebassist2
if the v5 does turn out to be what he's looking for, do you think it would be wise for him to invest his other $50 in something like the digitech bad monkey?

Definitely. It's the only way he'll get overdriven tones at reasonable volumes.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by gregs1020
First off... The world needs more kids like you! Kudos to you bro.
I agree that the Pignose is cool, vintage and age appropriate. But is it versatile enough? That would be my only concern because a lot of us in the "over 20" crowd play a lot of different genres. If he hasn't been playing a long time and is just getting into it, then he would likely be very happy with conquering the 60's 70's tones the pig delivers.

thanks, i am a pretty awesome crowd (all though i'm 18 so legally not a kid)
Maybe he should spend just a little more and get a Fender Vibro Champ XD. Its the best looking practice amp I've ever seen. It gives you alot of features and versatility for the money. Probably be worth it.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Maybe he should spend just a little more and get a Fender Vibro Champ XD. Its the best looking practice amp I've ever seen. It gives you alot of features and versatility for the money. Probably be worth it.

its funny you say that, we just got back and my dad was taken by that amp. He decided to save up $100 more and buy it when he gets the money.
Quote by wannabebassist2

he'd be better off investing $80 in a big muff. great sounding pedal, really versatile, and it'll definitely be able to get some some sounds he'll like.
either that or a tube screamer.
ROLAND CUBE, any of those are just amazing. I honestly can't believe they are SS amps. The tone they have is great.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by Kevin Saale

My VK sounds good at 0.5 on the volume.

(bedroom practice)
O O

___
I'd go for the V5.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I played a super champ recently. I liked that thing but lately I like a lot of stuff. Glad you and your dad found something he likes. Didn't mean to call you a kid!