I'm going to buy my first tube amp in a few weeks and I just had a quick question. The amp will be for a bedroom so I'm probably going to get the Killer Ant or Little Giant head with a separate cab and also get a Blackstar HT Series (HT-DUAL) distortion pedal. I was also thinking of getting the Krank Rev, Jr. but I think that's gonna be way too loud.

I don't gig at all and I play a lot late at night and for much of the time I'm going to need to keep everything at bedroom volumes.

So, my question is this: Can I crank the amp way up and run it through the pedal while controlling the volume with the pedal? Will that give me a decent tube saturation sound at a lower volume?
It won't saturate the tubes. The only way to do that would be turning the amp up. I don't know if you'll be able to dime the killer ant at night but you should be able to get it fairly saturated without it being too loud. The little giant would be way too loud cranked.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks for the reply. If I go with the Killer Ant and a good pedal (like the Blackstar) I'm assuming I could get a pretty good metal tone at lower "bedroom" volumes right?
I wouldn't think so. Metal in general involves mainly preamp distortion with some power tube distortion. I think a microcube or some such will do metal better at bedroom volumes than a killer ant.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Wow, so even if I had a Krank Rev, Jr. or a Little Giant going through a good distortion pedal at bedroom volume the sound from a Microcube SS would be better if I'm trying for something like Alice in Chains?

I was planning on getting a Line 6 Flextone III but everyone kept telling me how great a tube amp would sound (even a Killer Ant) but now it sounds like the Flextone would be the better choice?
Last edited by stevem326 at Aug 30, 2008,
if you using a distortion pedal there will be no reason to turn the volume all the way up. just using the distortion pedal at bedroom levels will give a killer sound. i have a modded VJ and i turn the volume to about 10 o'clock and use an eq and keep my clean tones. then use a a bad monkey for classic classic rock tones and if i'm playin metal step on my metal muff and it sound great!
Thanks for the replies. Yeh, I've listened to a TON of clips on YouTube and amp manufacurer websites. The tube amps sound awesome cranked up but they'd be way too loud for my bedroom. However, a tube amp turned down low through a good pedal sounds awesome, too.

But the Flextone III sounds great as well. The only problem with the Flextone is you really need to buy the FBV foot pedal so you can change between the different settings easily. The amp is $600 and the FBV is $269 so I'm almost at $1,000 for that. For $1,000 I could get a Little Giant, a good 1X12 cab, and probably 3 really decent pedals which would be a pretty awesome setup...
Last edited by stevem326 at Aug 31, 2008,
I don't get what the whole problem is, not just you but with everyone. "ONOES ITLL BE 2 LOUD"

Not only will it only be 20 watts, which isn't even THAT loud, but you don't even have to turn up high gain amps very loud to get a good sound. Go with the Krank and no pedals.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I don't get what the whole problem is, not just you but with everyone. "ONOES ITLL BE 2 LOUD"

Not only will it only be 20 watts, which isn't even THAT loud, but you don't even have to turn up high gain amps very loud to get a good sound. Go with the Krank and no pedals.

Well, I live in a townhouse so I have neighbors on either side of me. And lots of other people I know live in apartments where you have neighbors everywhere. And, sad to say, not everybody likes listening to a guitarist at 1 in the morning (I play a lot late at night).

I used to play a Roland Cube 30 and never turned it past about 4 (and that was just a SS 30 Watt amp). So, a 20 Watt tube amp would probably never go any higher than 1 or 2 in my place. My neighbors are pretty cool and they never complain but I just don't want to start anything. I played a 5 Watt Little Giant a few weeks ago and that thing would stay around 5 or 6 at the most in my townhouse (it was pretty loud). The Krank looks pretty nice though I have to admit.
Epi VJ and a bad monkey get's my vote if you want a tube amp. Add an eq pedal as well.
the blackstar is gonna make anything sound good, but don't go with a crank amp bro the hella overated, get a orange or a peavey