Ok ive been playing bass for about 2 years give or take. I currently play a epiphone thunderbird IV and a Squier P/J special with modified pickups. both are great but i feel something lacking. I have a great Ampeg amp so that isnt the problem. My price range is about 600- 700 at the most. Although i am fond of Fenders i am open to any suggestions. On the other hand i dislike Ibanez basses so that might save some of you some time. Thanks for any help.
Maybe sell one of your basses (in my opinion the Thunderbird, but hey, you may really dig it) and get something uber special with the money from that added to your budget, what kind of sound are you looking for?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I guess im looking for a clean sound that i can also distort up nicely with fuzz pedals. But other than that im not really sure.
Assuming you don't have an all tube Ampeg, the problem may be in the amp. Ampegs combos are not especially great at all. A better amp has far more effect on tone than a better bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
active electronics seem to sound real nice with fuzz and 'drive.

active single coils especially. and I bet my Acoustic destroys your Ampeg without even having to boost my treble.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
im thinking about getting an Sansamp Bass Driver. It emulates tube driven amps like an old SVT. I tried one earlier this day and it was amazing, i would have bought it but im looking for the programmable one.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
whaat have you got against ibanez?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
i owned 2 medium range ibanez's and i dunno.... i just didnt like the feel of the bass. (the sound was fine). And the problem isnt with the ampeg amp. I just bought it and ive played dozens of basses on it, all sounding great. As for "the humanity" i asked for possible basses i could get, not your useless comment on your pathetic acoustic amp. stay off the threads. Thanks to everyone else.
I gave a suggestion, and then threw in my opinion on most ampegs. I'm sorry you didn't like it.

I think that you should get something with active electronics and single coils, the added bite in each note makes the sound more clear when you have a lot of fuzz.

I will leave this thread if you don't like that idea either.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom