So my amp (a Fender Champ 600) uses one 6" speaker, and when I try to turn up the gain, it gets pretty muddy. I realize that the small speaker is probably prone to get muddy, but I was wondering if a speaker change would help.

I've looked on multiple sites for 6" speakers, but I've yet to find any. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get one. I play mostly classic rock/metal (metal on a 5 watt Fender? ) and price is not really a problem, since I'm just kind of looking for estimates at the moment.

I don't really want to get a new amp at the moment either, since I just got this and I have no intention of gigging/jamming a lot any time soon.

Also: This amp has the option to be hooked up to a cabinet. Would this make my tone clearer? And could I just plug into any cab with equal watts/ohms?
Saint Louis Blues
I don't think it's even worth the effort to upgrade seeing as it's just a practice amp. A 1x12 cab would probably sound better, but again, I don't really think that it would be worth or even give that much of an improvement.

Edit: Look here https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ look under signature series, he sells some 6 inch speakers. They aren't too expensive so it might be worth it. Don't expect this to improve your metal tone much though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Aug 31, 2008,
Hmm, fair enough. I am pretty pleased with my tone as is, but I was just wondering. And maybe my guitar is part of the problem as well, since it's just an Ibanez Gio so the pickups kinda stink. Thank you.
Saint Louis Blues
I'm not sure, but does the Champion 600 have a speaker out? I don't think it does.

Great harp amps, not so great for guitar is my opinion on those.
Quote by imgooley
I'm not sure, but does the Champion 600 have a speaker out? I don't think it does.

Great harp amps, not so great for guitar is my opinion on those.

It's not a speaker out but I think it's a cable up inside the amp itself. I'm not sure how it works, but the tag says it can, and I think I saw it in the manual. I'll try to find it.

And I would like to try a harmonica (harp) through it. I've seen videos of people doing it, and it sounds really cool.

EDIT: Here's the manual where it shows how to hook up. Page 7.
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Aug 31, 2008,
^get a VJ cab and run the Champ through it.
Actually, it is worth it if you change the speaker. I upgraded mine, Weber makes a good speaker, (bit hard to find, as a lot of Champ 600 owners are getting them) and when you change the tubes, it's a great little amp for less than 300, especially if you are on a budget and can't afford a bigger amp. The speaker is connected to a 1/4 inch jack right on the board, so you can just unplug.

With the changes (I used JJ tubes) I noticed a far better range, a lot more volume, and a better low end and crisper sound.
Quote by The Picker
And maybe my guitar is part of the problem as well, since it's just an Ibanez Gio so the pickups kinda stink. Thank you.

Yeah, your guitar ain't the greatest.

But I'd suggest you go the 1x12 cab route if you're really looking to upgrade your sound in the short term. It'll make a big difference. Screw that VJ cab, look into something from Avatar. Their 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback would probably be pretty sweet.

A new 6" speaker will only get you so far.

And as far as that guitar goes, I wouldn't invest in any improvements on it. I'd just get a better guitar overall.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Yeah, your guitar ain't the greatest.

But I'd suggest you go the 1x12 cab route if you're really looking to upgrade your sound in the short term. It'll make a big difference. Screw that VJ cab, look into something from Avatar. Their 1x12 with a Celestion Greenback would probably be pretty sweet.

A new 6" speaker will only get you so far.

And as far as that guitar goes, I wouldn't invest in any improvements on it. I'd just get a better guitar overall.

agreed the 6 incher no matter what brand is never gonna give you a nice full tone. depending on your funds there are better options than the vj cab like slats said.