Hey what's up guys? I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now and would consider myself proficent, or at least pretty decent. I only say this because I believe I have the ability to play most of the music I like, my skill level is not the issue. My question is, do you think it's wrong to change a song you're learning in a way that makes it easier to play? I don't mean cutting out parts of the song or anything, but if it appears to be written in a way where a solo is all over the fretboard, and you happen to condense it by simply going up and down a few strings instead of all the way down one string, is that alright?
Do you consider that kind of butchering a song, or is it all about what you're comfortable with(as long as it sounds similiar or the same)?
I realize that most likely people can't say for sure how a guitarist plays a song and that maybe the tabs are wrong, but I've seen videos of Kirk Hammett playing "One" a certain way, and I altered it to play it easier without ommiting any notes. Is that wrong?
I feel this is more of an opinion-based question and there is no correct answer. I almost didn't make this thread in the event of the inevitable "who cares" response. It probably matters to someone lol..
Last edited by CyborgBill at Aug 31, 2008,
yea I feel the same way but I couldnt decide if I was just being lazy and taking the easy way out.
It's not wrong. The whole point of it all is to get the result you want in the simplest, most efficient way possible. So, if you play the solo so it sounds the same, and it's easier for you to do it in the way you do, then there's nothing wrong with it. It's a cover, you just want the base of the song, and then go to make it your own. So...essentially there is nothing wrong with it.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
it's not wrong. it develops your own style.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Not at all...as long as it sounds right, it will work. Especially with non-guitarists. lol.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!